Uncoupling

Started by mojo, March 28, 2014, 10:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Rapido couplers are slightly slack and sprung. If you are using or making mechanical raised arm uncouplers then the trick is to shape the slot in them so its wide at each end and narrow in the middle. The uncoupling prong will slide into the uncoupler groove just fine then.

(Or take a look at the Fleischmann electrical one and its pictures and copy the shape and positioning of the ramp)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

mojo

Thanks for all the input to my question.
After a few experiments it has dawned on me that fixed ramps will not work due to clearances under the loco chassis plates!
I may now have a look at a cam operated ramp controlled by hand using a thin metal wire.
Alan, I have an old Fleischmann catalogue but the detail of the uncoupling track is not good so I shall have a look at one at my local model shop.
Thanks again guys.
Maurice C.

greenlaneman

Electro magnet and Rapido fitted with Peco coupler lift arm? :hmmm:
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

d-a-n

Quote from: greenlaneman on April 04, 2014, 10:45:38 PM
Electro magnet and Rapido fitted with Peco coupler lift arm? :hmmm:

Are they the little plates of metal which you glue to the coupler? I've tried these http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PENR-103&style=&strType=&Mcode=Peco%20NR-103 with a Kato track section with magnet (like the dapol magnets but built in by Kato) and Rapidos and they don't work.

EtchedPixels

The Kato track magnets are for buckeye style couplers and deflect sideways not up/down - it indeed won't work
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

mojo

Electro magnet and Rapido fitted with Peco coupler lift arm?

That should certainly work as I saw sometime ago a shunting layout using this system which was very impressive.
As I recall, t did not allow for movement of wagons after uncoupling but in my case this would not be required - just uncouple the loco and move away.
Maurice C.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations