miss match coach liveries

Started by porkie, September 24, 2013, 10:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porkie

This is something I like too see.

Where its nice to see a full rake of coaches in the correct matching livery.

Do any of you run mixed rakes?

I kinda missed out on dapols mk3 batch of virgin hst coaches. So im toying with getting a virgin hst set and using my intercity swollow hst coaches.

Whats your thoughts on this
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

johnlambert

I don't run them very often because I don't have space for long rakes of coaches but it is good to see mixed formations.  My preferred era is the 1960s so I'll run a couple of 'blood & custard' coaches in a maroon rake for the very early '60s.  For the late '60s I'll run a combination of maroon and blue/grey coaches.

Sprintex

Whilst it's very prototypical and it looks good on some layouts I'd never do it myself, my OCD would be screaming inside my head "It's WRONG WRONG WRONG !!" ;)

Paul

Newportnobby

I have a DVD featuring the electrified line from Sheffield to Manchester (before it was closed) and one rake consisted of maroon, blue/grey and green MK1's :goggleeyes:

CarriageShed

Quote from: Sprintex on September 25, 2013, 09:17:04 AM
Whilst it's very prototypical and it looks good on some layouts I'd never do it myself, my OCD would be screaming inside my head "It's WRONG WRONG WRONG !!" ;)

Paul

You and me both, Paul :D Although I think I could just about manage it if I was recreating a specific service at a specific moment in time, such as a couple of LMS coaches tagged onto a rake of SR coaches on the 1930s S&D.

gc4946

The Midland Mainline Project Rio HSTs in 2003-2004 wore various combinations of original MML teal/orange, their later ocean blue/grey and de-branded Virgin red/grey liveries.
Occasionally they even had the odd yellow Network Rail liveried power car in their formations. 

I also remember seeing the Poole-Edinburgh sleeper trains in 1989/90 stabled at Poole which had a mixture of ScotRail Executive (light blue band rather than red), InterCity Executive, InterCity swallow and blue/grey liveries.

Ideal solutions if anyone finds they can't get hold of complete rakes of rolling stock in one livery.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Skyline2uk

QuoteWhilst it's very prototypical and it looks good on some layouts I'd never do it myself, my OCD would be screaming inside my head "It's WRONG WRONG WRONG !!

Paul, I fear you may not like my (VERY) long way off next layout. My chosen modelling period being 1994-2000(ish), mixed livery HSTs really should feature.

Swallow set, GW Griffin Livery set and a mixture of the two  :thumbsup:

I kept my old Poole era Griffen HST set for just such an occasion, because what are the odds on Dapol ever doing a book set in Griffin? Let alone the whole rake of matching coaches  :confused1:?!

Mixing sets maybe more a case of necessity than choice  :hmmm:

Skyline2uk

Sprintex

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 25, 2013, 10:50:10 PM
my (VERY) long way off next layout.

Ooh, I have one of those already planned too! :laugh:

Hmm, HSTs  :heart2: and mixed coaches  :telloff: , how is my brain meant to cope with that paradox? :confused1:

Paul

Jack

Here's one for you Paul....

http://www.hondawanderer.com/43170_Coates_1987.jpg

Nurse! Paul needs his paradox pills.  :laugh: :laugh:

And for those who worry about running mixed rakes or full length HST's

http://www.hondawanderer.com/43163_43040_Compton_Beauchamp.jpg   :D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Deltic9001

Hi,

Some blue/grey and maroon Mk.1s behind steam but it's not the photos I was looking for - http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page44.htm . I've also seen a photo of either a Fairburn or Stanier 2-6-4T with blue/grey Mark IIs but so far, can't locate it. This site has all sorts of coaching stock livery combinations which may be of interest.

Best Regards,
Andy Hoskins
Falkirk
Best Regards,
Andy

Chris in Prague

An interesting combination which I want to model (having just bought a rake of old Grafar blue & grey Mk 1s) is the one described here: "I have some late 1965 pics of the Brighton - Plymouth train in which the rake was invariably a green Bulleid BSK and 4 or 5 Mark 1 coaches all in blue and grey." Trevor Page. I will be ordering some Bulleid SR green coaches for my North Cornwall layout so should have a Bulleid BSK to add to the Mark 1s! (A very interesting train to model the Brighton - Plymouth in the 1960s.)

BobB

In real life I liked to see matching coach liveries and the correct locomotive. I regarded it as offensive when the coaches were different and the locomotive wrong; as well as dmu's with different colours and or formations. On the other hand wagons of different shapes, sizes, colours etc. were so common as to be ignored.

At the time, I was not aware of the difficulties that nationalisation, lack of cash, and perhaps more importunately lack of cohesive policy was having upon the operating departments of British Railways and their successor British Rail.

For my railway (1976 - remember that summer ?) the locomotives are TOPS numbered blue / yellow and the mainline coaches are blue / grey. Some dmu's are blue and others are blue / grey to add some variety. It's wrong but it is my improvement on real life. So there !

Chetcombe

Quote from: BobB on September 27, 2013, 08:16:09 PM
In real life I liked to see matching coach liveries and the correct locomotive. I regarded it as offensive when the coaches were different and the locomotive wrong; as well as dmu's with different colours and or formations. On the other hand wagons of different shapes, sizes, colours etc. were so common as to be ignored.

At the time, I was not aware of the difficulties that nationalisation, lack of cash, and perhaps more importunately lack of cohesive policy was having upon the operating departments of British Railways and their successor British Rail.

For my railway (1976 - remember that summer ?) the locomotives are TOPS numbered blue / yellow and the mainline coaches are blue / grey. Some dmu's are blue and others are blue / grey to add some variety. It's wrong but it is my improvement on real life. So there !

It's the complete opposite philosophy for me. ;) I model 1964-1976 so that I can mix and match as much as possible. On the Western Region this period covers from the end of steam to the first HST. Most of my Mk1 coach rakes are a mix of blue/grey and maroon, with a couple of chocolate/ cream and green ones for good measure.

Diesels are a mix of green, maroon and BR Blue, with one even in Desert Sand (no prizes for guessing what that one is!). Even in 1976 it is amazing to see how many diesels were still wearing green:

http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history_2.htm
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

EtchedPixels

Yep I remember 1976. My last big layout was set in 1976 so I could run HST and Westerns together  :beers: plus sneak in a green 47.

I'm not sure when all blue DMUs finally went away if ever. Certainly I remember Tysley sets being plain blue at that time. They used to turn them out as proper sets back then too. It all went downhill later on as they got the dregs of everyone elses DMU stock including 105s and other weirdness.

And it was back in the days when Birmingham - Paddington trains ran through Solihull where I grew up so you'd get the odd Western on a mix of Mark1 and 2 stock if you were very lucky.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

TimothyB

I am modelling Bournemouth in the era mid-50s to early 60s and looking through some of the colour reference books I have, it wasn't uncommon to have a mix of BR(SR) Green and Blood& Custards together in a rake, although the greens were more commonly old Bullied stock which hadn't received B&C mixed in with BR Mk1s in B&C.

Regards

Timothy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations