What is your favorite British Rail Diesel of all time?

Started by OwL, March 30, 2011, 08:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Time to show my age now as I grew up in the transition between steam and diesel, but in my trainspotting days I would travel the UK to see Deltics at Kings Cross and Sandy, Hydraulics at Paddington/Bristol (Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and even the class 22), Peaks at St.Pancras and Bedford - but I guess my all time favourites are the class 40 Whistlers and the Peaks. I still love the Hydraulics though! Class 47's I guess were the equivalent of a Ford Mondeo?? Class 20's or Type 1's as they were sounded good but failed too often, as did the Baby Deltics. Class 25's were a bit like heads - everybody had one (I cleaned that up from the original)

painbrook

Got to be Deltics , serving onboard RN 'ton' class sweepers , down in the engine room ..Then going home on leave , on the ECML pulled by a Deltic loco . The sounds and smells will always stay with me . Happy days , cheers John .

Pete Mc

Ok,I have 2 favourites,firstly,when I was 9,back in 1979,we moved house.It was a 15 minute bike ride down to Bessacarr Junction on the ECML.There,we always saw Deltics thunder along that stretch about a mile prior to the drivers knocking off the power of those twin Napiers.
What a sound they made travelling past at 90ish mph,made your chest rattle like nothing else could.
Also,HST's.They sounded fantastic,looked great as well but the sound of the Paxman Valenta,with its deep,throbby engine note and whistling,huge turbo's will be etched into my mind till the day I die.Unlike todays MTU engined HST's.They just sound completely soulless in my opinion.
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

cudders

I'm no Diesel expert but my earliest railway memory was standing on the platform at Church Fenton with my old man ( the old station before they butchered it and replaced the superb buildings with bus shelters   :'( ) ..the rails started to vibrate and then a massive Blue 37 flashed past and I must have jumped 4 foot in the air.

Thats got to be my fave..

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

OwL

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

LMScat

There's just something about a class 29,after that it would have to be a 37 and a 66.

Steve

guest311

Geoff

I am starting to like the Class 66, the colour schemes of the private hauliers are superb so I can see my self buying 3 or 4.
Geoff

enskala

Class 66 !
I got one in Malcolm Logistics livery from  :GraFar: --- but no luck to see one on my journey to London and York 2010  :-[
(just other liveries)
best N regards Jens

Deltic9001

Hi folks,

Deltics and Westerns.

Deltics as they were staple locomotives when spotting in Edinburgh in the 70s.

Westerns when I had my first ever 6 months living away from home in the summer of 1976 as part of my college course. Couldn't stay away from shuttling between Paddington and Reading behind the Wezzies.

Andy Hoskins
Falkirk
Best Regards,
Andy

poliss

grumbeast

Seriously Poliss! :)  you think you can run fast enough  ;D ;D

if you are being serious (which I doubt/hope/wish/beg!) what on earth do you like about them that makes them a favourite!

Graham

poliss

Well, Deltics and 37s are my real favourites, but I do like the 70. Reminds me of a car from the 40s or 50s.

Newportnobby

As a fellow ferroequinologist you should be ashamed :o At least go and stand on the naughty step :smiley-laughing:

bluedepot

i like class 73s best, electro-diesels, is that allowed?

i also really like the shape of the class 21/22/29, 28, 71 and 74, but i wasn't around to see them in action and i've never seen any in preservation...

i'm quite keen on smaller sulzer diesels as well.

apart from that i'm pretty much interested in all the classes that i remember is the 80s and 90s when i was a child...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations