Warm Enough ?

Started by jonclox, June 30, 2015, 03:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on July 03, 2015, 07:07:31 PM

The coolest room in the house is showing 24.5c.

Dave G

Likewise..................but it's due to get warmer :worried:

port perran

Still not too hot here but very pleasant today.
Reached about 21 today outside but a strong Westerly keeps the temp down.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: daveg on July 03, 2015, 07:07:31 PM
The coolest room in the house is showing 24.5c.
boohoo,
where is the 'green with envy' emoticon when one needs it !
Only just getting up to 21C in my cave, after being a perishing 19C all day :( ,SW of Bristol.

so, everyone is complaining about their ailments -
mine is a hip/thigh/lower back problem which suffers in the cold :(
I call it my 'war wound', the war against recalcitrant old British 500cc singles :(
The 1000cc V twins gave me no prob though, when I could afford to convert to them, but by then the damage was done :(

The youngsters hereabouts with their push-button starters will wonder what my problem was ;)

DELETED

Well I'm no fan of the heat at all, I feel really  :sick: like seasickness when it's much hotter than mid 20's and hayfever starts playing up (though thankfully I'm not chronic with it these days like when I was younger).  I worked offshore in the Gulf of Mexico with 47oC day time and 35oC at night but it was 100% humidity and lightening most nights -all the night.  With a full safety kit on you had about 30secs outside before all your clothes were just saturated!!  I much preferred working in Finland and -38oC!  We shouldn't complain too much to be honest but I dug out my cooler for the flat today.  You put water and ice in the bottom and it cools the blower, not quite as good as AC, but better than nothing.

...Only thing is I switched it on half an hour ago after a year packed away in the cupboard.  Started beeping and I can't find the destruction manual to remind me why  :doh:

Sprintex

Quote from: RST on July 03, 2015, 09:39:43 PM
Well I'm no fan of the heat at all, I feel really  :sick: like seasickness when it's much hotter than mid 20's and hayfever starts playing up

That's exactly how I feel, really ill, and people wonder why I complain about hot weather :no:

Paul

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RST on July 03, 2015, 09:39:43 PMthough thankfully I'm not chronic with it these days like when I was younger
Interesting you say that, my findings also, bad in my 20's &30's ( inherited from two chronic cases, my maternal gran and my father ! no hope !! ) Gradually declined with age till nonexistent, (then I nearly became nonexistent but that's another story ! )

I have been able to console many young sufferers by telling them to wait till they get old ;)

Newportnobby

Not so fast, Malcolm :no:

I didn't have any hay fever until I was in my mid 30's but have suffered ever since.
Exactly how old does one have to be to 'grow out of it'?
It'll scare the bejaysus out of folks if I sneeze whilst in me coffin >:D

port perran

I had it (quite bad) till I was about 20 then it got better but started to reappear about 5 years ago (though not as bad).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on July 03, 2015, 09:57:10 PM
Exactly how old does one have to be to 'grow out of it'?
It'll scare the bejaysus out of folks if I sneeze whilst in me coffin >:D
:laughabovepost:
Thanks for that, laughing my sox off, better than those Victorian bells on strings thigumies in coffins 'just in case'
LOL

I wont tell you how old
a) too close to my feminine side
b) I may frighten you more  >:D

just dont get a.n.other emergency late in life ( I always was late - slow developer ;) )  they fill you up with pills and a low-level allergy then manifests and  you suffer mild hayfever-like symptoms all year round :(

Hey, come on everyone, we are still alive ? oh ohh (howzat for tempting providence ? )

DELETED

I had it very bad as a child then it peaked in my 20's to the point I was asthmatic with it and on some occasions just couldn't breathe.  I was doped up and on inhalers but I remember staying with an ex GF down on the Black Water in Essex one time and we almost called an ambulance in.  I twas sick from from March through to October (tree pollen does me in) and some days just couldn't get out of the house.  Rather strangely I moved from Aberdeen to Inverness in 2005 and overnight it went away completely.  These days in my mid 30's it's slowly coming back but nothing like the sneezing fits I used to take (20-30 sneezes in succession every hour or so starts to hurt real bad).  If I go down to my Mothers in Falkirk I'm convinced the hedge next to her house sets me off so I always dread going down in summer as I don't get any sleep each night.

Before anyone mentions I can't stand honey (too sweet for me) and I tried homeopathic remedies, although the dose is so small the last time I tried them my, eyes went so bad the film on the front of my eye balls broke down and I was pulling the thin webs so I could see again!  So there's definitely something in it that I reacted to even worse!!!

I don't have any major health issues yet so I'm thankful of that one!  Considering my family history I know what's coming and it ain't good if I last much past 50 anyway!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RST on July 03, 2015, 10:29:54 PM
I moved from Aberdeen to Inverness in 2005 and overnight it went away completely.
In my case also, an overnight cure , , well 3 weeks on a boat , ,  but a little more distant - Brazil !
Not to worry tho' it was extra-first class, there were only 14 of us and one was an Ambassador ;) , he dined with the ship's captain, I only rated a seat at the ship's doctor's table :(

Then I made the mistake of returning, some wee while later, to England ( only , you understand, for a sight of some green fields and a telephone system that worked :) )

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 03, 2015, 10:43:22 PM
only 14 of us and one was an Ambassador ;) , he dined with the ship's captain, I only rated a seat at the ship's doctor's table :(
'scuse me for quoting myself but
isnt google and wikip great when one cannot remember the finer details  ! - -
The tupamaros guerrilas :-

"Of particular note are the kidnapping of powerful bank manager Ulysses Pereira Reverbel and of the British ambassador to Uruguay, Geoffrey Jackson, as well as the assassination of Dan Mitrione, "

poor fella, not long after we got off at Santos he carried on down to Uruguay and soon after he was got by them :(
Not physically maltreated I think, and was later released,
Not a happy time though :( .

DELETED

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 03, 2015, 10:43:22 PM
Quote from: RST on July 03, 2015, 10:29:54 PM
I moved from Aberdeen to Inverness in 2005 and overnight it went away completely.
In my case also, an overnight cure , , well 3 weeks on a boat , ,  but a little more distant - Brazil !
Not to worry tho' it was extra-first class, there were only 14 of us and one was an Ambassador ;) , he dined with the ship's captain, I only rated a seat at the ship's doctor's table :(

Then I made the mistake of returning, some wee while later, to England ( only , you understand, for a sight of some green fields and a telephone system that worked :) )

LoL, reminds me of: "missueur with this Roche you are really spoiling us".  Yes as I've done boat work for the last 4 years everyone laughed at me because every time we came within 20 miles of port my hayfever kicked off!  I can sniff pollen out 30 miles+ offshore if the wind direction is right.  I used to dine with our captains often enough -but they usually wear jeans and a T-Shirt on my boats. Pretty casual, everyone eats the same from the minced beef tank I'm sure we replenished with the tankers each port call. But that's going way OT!!

MalcolmInN

I added an edit to my above post about our ambassador, we may have crossed ?

Quote from: RST on July 03, 2015, 11:04:04 PM
everyone laughed at me because every time we came within 20 miles of port my hayfever kicked off! 
I can sniff pollen out 30 miles+ offshore

I believe you !  very sensitive is the nose (well all those glands round the eyes, sinus,  as well etc. )

Pretty casual, everyone eats the same from the minced beef tank
my final anecdote for the night (if you're lucky ! ) :-
in those days t'was de rigueur deck quoits and cocktails during the day and dress for dinner.
However,
the really  :laugh: :laugh3: :heart2: bit was :
we sailed light ( empty ) from Southampton to Lisbon where we were due to pick up cork ! yep, no kidding! and two breeding bulls ( deck cargo )
but that involved passage thro' the infamous Bay of Biscay
of notorious storms etc. ! yes, you are ahead of me :)
' nuf to say : Doctor was ill in his bunk and we dined alone, with table edges raised and tumblers not glasses for the wine ha-ha

Enough of this , , ,

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on July 03, 2015, 09:28:39 AM
I did see that :o
The forecast is for more thunderstorms through tonight/tomorrow morning :uneasy:
Hold on to your hats !

after much non-activity over the 4casts for early evening,
now lots of activity over Portland - Isle of Widgit and  London/home counties and also a big splodge over Kent !
All erupted in the last wee mins.

North Wales - Midlands becoming quite active as well !

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations