A point of English??

Started by Newportnobby, April 13, 2015, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

But Malcolm, we DID '...Get all those furrainers to agree on a common one....' (even those north of the Border)  It's called 'English'.

The fact there there is 'American' English (yes, really; they do actually speak a recognised form of the 'Mother tongue), 'Canadian' English, 'Australian' English (well, they try), 'New Zealand' English,' South African' English,  'Kringlish', 'Chinglish', 'Indian' English (the language that united a continent BTW) 'Geordie', 'Cockney' 'Liverpuddlian' and 'Scouse' to say nothing of 'Standard Perceived English' (aka BBC English) is of course a minor point.  One 'common' (some would say 'very' common) language does 'unite them all.

Thought you might like to know...

BTW: You will have noticed that i have not included the 'exotic' variants - they ara justa tooa many tooa lista
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

steve836

One that gets my goat is the use of billion. The press insists on using the American meaning of 1000 million when it should mean a million million.
Wasn't it Bob Hope who said "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Newportnobby

Quote from: steve836 on April 21, 2015, 08:40:03 AM
One that gets my goat is the use of billion. The press insists on using the American meaning of 1000 million when it should mean a million million.
Wasn't it Bob Hope who said "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"?

Which is why we English state we are going to have a bath/shower/ :poop: etc., whereas North Americans take said bath/shower. Where are they taking it to, and why?
How many people are seen speaking on TV where every other word seems to be 'like', and sentences are littered with 'you know'?
Why, when asked how someone is, do they reply with 'I'm good'. Utter nonsense.
Another one the yoof of today use is 'I swear down' ???

oscar

QuoteWhy, when asked how someone is, do they reply with 'I'm good'. Utter nonsense.

Too true. I'll decide if you're good, not you!

steve836

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2015, 09:35:37 AM
QuoteWhy, when asked how someone is, do they reply with 'I'm good'. Utter nonsense.

When a lady says "I'm good" after an enquiry as to the state of her health I usually reply "That's a shame" and when asked why I reply "bad women are much more fun."

Komata

npn

So you have the 'yoof' as well in the UK?  I thought they were a 'colonial' aberration inflicted on the unsuspecting inhabitants of a couple of south sea islands.  It would seem that we are not the only 'unfortunates'; you have my sincere sympathy for the affliction.

BTW: 'Like' and ' 'You know' are distinctly American (I won't go into their origins, interesting though they are - at least to some), and could be considered a form of  'reverse linguistic imperialism' brought (very thoughtfully) into your homes via social media and TV and videos.

Steve836

FWIW: The quote "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"  is generally attributed to George Bernard Shaw, although Oscar Wilde has also been advanced as a contender for the title of the first person to make the statement.  Note however that  there is some doubt as to whether either individual actually made the utterance, so perhaps it should be placed in the 'unattributed' category - at least in the interim?
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Sprintex

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2015, 09:35:37 AM

I usually follow that one with "I asked how you were, not what your moral standards are like" - completely perplexed expression guaranteed :D

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is how the phrase ". . . from the word go" has become ". . . from the get go"? Grammatical nonsense.

Paul

Dorsetmike

One phrase that makes me chuckle when on the phone is "will you bear with me a moment" I am often tempted to reply "OK what shall we take off first?"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

steve836

Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 21, 2015, 12:10:20 PM
One phrase that makes me chuckle when on the phone is "will you bear with me a moment" I am often tempted to reply "OK what shall we take off first?"

Me too! especially if the person is female with a sexy voice!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Komata on April 21, 2015, 10:12:07 AM
FWIW: The quote "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"  is generally attributed to George Bernard Shaw, although Oscar Wilde has also been advanced as a contender
Well well, all my life I have thought that it was W. Churchill, amazing wot one learns on forams these days :)

NPN : I suppose I do not spend enuf time amongst yooufs, I have no idea what 'I swear down' is or means, or is supposed to transfer !

When asked how I am I often reply " Oh, struggling on {sigh} struggling on, as one does ! "

Dorsetmike

When asked how I am I often reply " Oh, struggling on {sigh} struggling on, as one does ! "

I usually respond with "Straining up under the bear ... errrrr, no,  um ...Staring up under the brain?? ... ah no .... ... bearing up under the strain! ... ... thassit! "
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 21, 2015, 12:10:20 PM
I live in the middle of a patch woodland and partially cleared undergrowth, a veg patch and some formal gardens - when the leaves come out in spring I cannot see my neighbours , ,
I often go bear,
dear   deer , fox, badger, rabbit etc.
:) :) too much info ;) ?
I think it is time to get back to my engine shed  :laugh:

MattJ

Quote from: Komata on April 21, 2015, 10:12:07 AMFWIW: The quote "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"  is generally attributed to George Bernard Shaw, although Oscar Wilde has also been advanced as a contender for the title of the first person to make the statement.  Note however that  there is some doubt as to whether either individual actually made the utterance, so perhaps it should be placed in the 'unattributed' category - at least in the interim?

It grates on my nerves when I hear someone British pronounce schedule as "skedule".  Too many American cop show police dramas methinks...   No problem with Americans saying it that way though.
They're there for their tea.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Komata on April 21, 2015, 06:28:12 AM
But Malcolm, we DID '...Get all those furrainers to agree on a common one....' (even those north of the Border)  It's called 'English'.
Yes quite so !
but my beef (of olde England ) is with those who would interject obscure other lingos and then  accuse us (english) of not being multi-lingual (as though we were incapable) for not unnerstanding, non learning, which one ? German, Latin, Manderin ( a mine field !), look at the millions spent on translation in EU (been there done that,plenary sessions fully translated - - woikin meets all done in english ! )

GeeBee

Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 21, 2015, 09:57:16 PM

I usually respond with "Straining up under the bear ... errrrr, no,  um ...Staring up under the brain?? ... ah no .... ... bearing up under the strain! ... ... thassit! "

When we are asked that we inevitably reply I woke up this morning and I am upright ta dah
:laugh:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations