Am i the only person here interested in Heavy Aviation Metal?

Started by B757-236GT, April 24, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fratton

for those fond of Vulcan bombers here's a joke i learnt form my dad at an early age but i wont give the punchline

What does Stanley airfield and mr spocks mum have in common?

answers on a post card of course there could be younger ones reading :goggleeyes: ;)

Charlie.

Agrippa

Naughty! Any more like that and we'll take your Airfix kits away.... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

B757-236GT

Quote from: Tackleberry on May 22, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
Quote from: Alex on May 16, 2013, 06:44:10 PM
At Dyce today and saw this.

Alex  :wave:

A Virgin Little Red - A320s leased off of Aer Lingus, using Aer Lingus crews...!!!!
Wondered how long it would take for Virgin to get into the domestic flights market though, they've only been flying since about March I think.

Yep part of the BMI/BA deal was Virgin got some slot pairs and started this operation with it. The more cynical suggest its a slot warmer for a few years as per the agreement that they had to be domestic routes and then it will be off to long haul again.

Im suprised EI are leasing in 4 planes (2x Alitalia, 1x Aigle Azur 1x Iberia) while theyve just cancelled the lease on 3 of their own! EI-CVA,CVB,CVC. Theyve also got 4 ex finnair B757-200s comming on stream soon, i wonder what they could be for, i suppose their worth peanuts given they are winglet fitted ones!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Oldman

I think flying will be a bit chaotic today.

1) the Airbus incident at Heathrow  this morning - all credit to the crew on that one.

2) Ongoing at present - Typhoons scrambled  to investigate on a flight to Manchester diverted to Stansted
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

B757-236GT

A shameless bit of self promotion now flickrs working again!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatherjacksphotos/sets/72157627454746932/
Some of my Manchester Shots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatherjacksphotos/sets/72157627454796714/
And Heathrow

In terms of the incident at LHR im told it was an uncontained failure so potentially quite serious as i have seen bits of fan blade go out through the side of the engine, into the fuselage and out the other side! I know the boys at BAMC will be keen to cast their eye over it. Im not sure whether they have CFM56s or IAE V2500s on A319s, reg was G-EUOE. Reports of a gear fire could be fluids having found their way onto the brake disks which get just a tad warm when braking!

The Pakistan A/L incident is interesting because of the routing he took, he was only 15 minutes from Manchester yet chose to divert to Stansted and did a few laps of Eastern England on the way.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Temeraire

Quote from: B757-236GT on May 24, 2013, 05:30:55 PM
The Pakistan A/L incident is interesting because of the routing he took, he was only 15 minutes from Manchester yet chose to divert to Stansted and did a few laps of Eastern England on the way.

Richard

Stansted is the designated destiation airport for all hijack/terrorist related incidents involving UK airspace.

Jack

Quote from: Temeraire on May 24, 2013, 05:55:33 PM
Quote from: B757-236GT on May 24, 2013, 05:30:55 PM

Richard

Stansted is the designated destiation airport for all hijack/terrorist related incidents involving UK airspace.

:hmmm:  I don't think the RAF Typhoons give the Pakistan aircraft much choice but than fly to Stanstead...
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

B757-236GT

I thought that changed late last year (or they were certainly considering it) because of the increased risk it was seen to be better to allow extra choices. Im not sure if Manchester was mentioned (probably wasnt) but i think East Midlands was quoted. Ill see if i can find the news story.

Richard

Temeraire

Been doing some reading and apparently Prestwick is also now available

B757-236GT

In an old Airliners mag it listed Prestwick, East Midlands, Filton (good one that) and Stansted. Obviously Filton closed and East Midlands wasnt considered suitible or they are still looking in to it.

I know Cardiff was used around 3 months ago when a BA 747 dived in due to a security alert so i suspect every case is made on the evidence available, after all one pilot once told me "if theres a chance theres bomb on board im going to the nearest airport i can land at, end of story"

Richard

Tackleberry

Quote from: Agrippa on April 24, 2013, 10:58:49 PM
I think the 737 was the best selling jet liner, not sure if best selling airliner overall,
still being produced with weapons as the P8.

My favourite cola can is the big Airbus (380?) , that's the daddy!

Yep, the big Airbus is the A380, British Airways are due their first one soon!!!
In fact, they are also due their first Boeing 787 too and have ordered some Airbus A350 for delivery in either 2015 or 2017...

buckle247

Few pictures I have taken. Not really a plane fan, just like to take photos of anything that moves  :D

Wouldn't even be able to name them (other than the last one)

For the Vulcan fans

Sprintex

Quote from: Tackleberry on May 28, 2013, 11:04:30 AM
Yep, the big Airbus is the A380,

And they say (white) elephants can't fly? ::)

Big ugly heap o' junk, anyone remember the old Tefal adverts with the scientists wth the HUGE foreheads? . . . ;)

Paul

B757-236GT

[quote author=Sprintex link=topic=13407.msg141718#msg141718
And they say (white) elephants can't fly? ::)

Big ugly heap o' junk, anyone remember the old Tefal adverts with the scientists wth the HUGE foreheads? . . . ;)
Paul
[/quote]
There speaks a Boeing Man!

Quote from: buckle247 on May 28, 2013, 12:32:40 PM
Few pictures I have taken. Not really a plane fan, just like to take photos of anything that moves  :D

Wouldn't even be able to name them (other than the last one)

This one is confusing me. Tui livery but without brandings, it has what looks to be a spanish flag next to the reg but tui dont have a Spanish arm, also it only has two letters on the front nose gear doors which again isnt normaly for spain, so makes me wonder its one of the Thomson 804s that have been withdrawn over the previous few years or one of them ones that went to the states and hasnt bee retransfered yet. Do you know when you took them?

Richard

NTrain

Quote from: Sprintex on May 28, 2013, 09:00:15 PM
anyone remember the old Tefal adverts with the scientists wth the HUGE foreheads? . . . ;)

Once had to deal with a person who did actually look like that. The guy was a genius, but could not talk in anything other than technobabble. He also had no sense of self, turned up to a meeting with split trousers..................

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations