What job do you do?

Started by guest2, June 28, 2011, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi,

Joined the Black Watch not long after leaving school. Since then I've worked on building sites, built garden sheds and garages. For the past ten years I've been a service Tech/engineer debugging and repairing set top boxes, printers (dot matrix/inkjet/laserjet), laptops, lcd tv's, ATM equipment, Postal franking machines and photocopiers.

Trying to start up my own business operating laser tag equipment and mini tanks.

Alex

findus

Im an optician, i poke people in the eyes with contact lenses, fit glasses and also am the assistant manager and have been for just over 10 years..
I left school not knowing what to do and was lucky enough to fall into optics.

Its a great job i love to help people from all walks of life to see  :thumbsup: 

8) 8) 8)

porkie

Ive only ever had this one job since i left school in 1994.

Im a HGV master tecnician for Scania.

Did a 5yr appreniceship and made my way up the ladder to stand in workshop supervisor over the years.

And now run my own workshop looking after an fleet of scania trucks and trailers for ASDA
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

EtchedPixels

I work on the Linux kernel as a job for Intel mostly getting stuff working on little laptop devices and the like and bits of weekends and some evening chunks doing Ultima/Etched Pixels stuff.

Thankfully I work from home so I don't lose three hours a day to travel which gives me time to do Ultima instead.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Geoff

I build and wire electrical control panels for the heating and ventilating industry, never two panels  the same and we normally build for schools, hospitals, health centre's, work has really slowed down since the banks screwed the country up, I just hope we can get really busy again in the next couple of years.
Geoff

port perran

I'm a driving instructor.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

davieb

hi all

i work in an aquatics shop selling tropical,marine and coldwater fish
only part time at the moment but heres hopeing

OwL

Joined the British Army after I left college at 18. Joined the Royal Engineers and got traded as an Electrician down at the Royal School of Military Engineering (RSME) in Chatham (Brompton Bks) Kent. Joined the field army after Combat Engineer and Electrician trade training with 33 Engr Regt E.O.D (Explosive Ordnance Disposal-or Bomb Disposal) where I spent several years touring the world supporting both British and NATO missions conducting E.O.D operations.

I left the Army and became an Electrician with a big multinational firm (I work on many of their fixed sites across the UK)

I only wanted to be a TRAIN DRIVER when I LEFT SCHOOL!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

tadpole

I've worked in the oil industry for the last 32 years:-

Geologist/Drilling Engineer overseas from 1979 to 1988. 8)

Various Aberdeen based management  :computersmile: positions since 1988, but still plenty of overseas travel (although I am cutting down on this, as my arse is too big for the size of airline seat my employer is prepared to pay for  :-[).

Two rails good. Three better.

moogle

Well at the moment I'm one of the great army of the unemployed!  >:(

When I left school I worked for BRITISH RAIL  :D
As it was on the YTS (Young Tory Slaves  :evil: sorry, Youth Training Scheme  :angel:), I had the experience of working in different departments/places.
I worked at various locations on platforms, in ticket office, parcels office, signal box at Cuxton on the Medway Valley line with the signalman pulling levers and opening/closing crossing gates - great fun when frosty, and on the station cleaning gang where you went around cleaning stations of graffiti and car parks/lineside of old sofas, motorbikes, dead cats and the like...  :o

Then worked in a shop (mini-market) on a council estate full of alcoholics and ladies selling more than lipstick...   

...well, it beat the dole queue!

Went back to college to do computer studies.
Left that and did some temping before I landed a job as a Traffic clerk at a Warehousing, Distribution and Stevedoring company.
Then moved from Kent to Tyneside where I worked as a traffic clerk for a haulage firm then as a customer service advisor for a fairtrade company.
Moved to the north west where I am now and just had a little temping work.
(I happened to move just as the banks screwed the economy up! Great timing eh?  :thumbsup:  :smiley-laughing:)
So, as I said at the beginning, I'm now one of the great army of the unemployed!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

TWICK9

Retired now, But worked all my life painting and repairing cars. 1st 25 years in crash repairs
and the last 25 as self employed painter and paint shop manager of classic and vintage car restoration firm.

Newportnobby

Spent 34 years in various departments in flexible packaging companies, ending up as Sales rep to customers like Cadbury, Nestle and Mars. Got made redundant and moved from the Midlands to the North West. Got a job waxing cheese :D in a dairy then finally found another Sales job for an automotive company in Chorley, so now I sell rubber goods and lubricants! No - my top customer is not Ann Summers ;D I sell to the likes of Quinton Hazell and Unipart. I've just been out on business for 2 days and have masses of catching up to do on the forum :computersmile:

porkie

Quote from: moogle on June 29, 2011, 03:44:28 PM
As it was on the YTS (Young Tory Slaves  :evil: sorry, Youth Training Scheme  :angel:),

Glad Im not the only one to do the great YTS scheme.......
Although we use to call it Young Thick and Stupid :smiley-laughing:
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Alex

Hi,

I used to be on the Youth Oppertunity Programme (Yopper).

Alex

longbridge

I spent 25 years as a Wedding Photographer but these days the only cash I have coming in other than the pension is what I make as a guitar player vocalist in a country band.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations