What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymonC

Thought it was about time we had a rival thread to the favourite Diesel thread! :P

So what is your favourite British Steam Locomotive :

This is mine :

Rebuilt Merchant Navy

Irish Padre

Tank

I agree with Merchant Navy.  They're wonderful looking loco's, and something I'd like on my rails.  Can it be converted to 3rd rail?!   :smiley-laughing:

jonclox

Well the Merchant Navy comes high on my list.....as does The Mallard tho my favourive would be one we owe so much to our railways kicking off....Stephenson's  Rocket (I just wish there was a running N Gauge model of it available)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

elmo

Winner - Great Western 57xx pannier

runner up - Stroudley terrier

lesmond

Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

longbridge

Impossible to choose because I love em all, no matter what region all steam locos have a charm that other forms of motive power will never have, grew up with the LMS and visited other areas of the UK and enjoyed all locos regardless of what or where they were.

All I know is that British Steam is still King.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

grumbeast

This is such a hard one.  Despite not growing up with Steam, I totally get the attraction (I had a close encounter with 5051 Drysllwyn Castle in 1983 at Newport that had a profound effect on me! :)

Castles are an obvious favorite, but I have to say, I think the lines of the Stirling Single GN No.1,  are just sublime.

I like all that other weird foreign stuff too  ;D ;D, and I confess a fondness for the Pennsy's odd experiments like the PRR S-1 and T-1 too

Graham

SymonC

Quote from: Tank on May 24, 2011, 10:16:20 AM
I agree with Merchant Navy.  They're wonderful looking loco's, and something I'd like on my rails.  Can it be converted to 3rd rail?!   :smiley-laughing:

If it wasn't your forum I'd send you to the naughty step! ;D

poliss

Tank

Quote from: SymonC on May 24, 2011, 01:52:14 PM
If it wasn't your forum I'd send you to the naughty step! ;D

Phew!  I got away with it this time. ;) ;D

SymonC

Quote from: jonclox on May 24, 2011, 11:01:40 AM
Well the Merchant Navy comes high on my list.....as does The Mallard tho my favourive would be one we owe so much to our railways kicking off....Stephenson's  Rocket (I just wish there was a running N Gauge model of it available)

Would love a working N Gauge Stephenson's Rocket, perhaps we should start a campaign? ;D

poliss

m1racleman

As I was born beside the lines of the LTS railway in 1949 and my grandfather drove these for all his working life, it has to be

Not glamorous but they have a special place in my heart.

fisherman

re Tank....rebuilt MN.....can it be converted to three rail....

ask Hornby!!!

lol
<o({{{<<

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations