So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I think that with all the flooding this winter, it's a forgone conclusion that by May at least there will be a hosepipe ban due to a water shortage.

when will some idiot realise that if you are going to build thousands of new houses, you need to upgrade the water supplies and build new reservoirs?

suppose they are too busy counting their bonuses  :veryangry:

exmouthcraig

The problem is we dont have 15000 acres to build new reservoirs everywhere and I think the Welsh have had enough of the "bloody English " flooding a village because it sits nicely in a valley!!

It is very hard to get permission to create a new hardstanding for buildings and rightly so. We struggle with fields flooding because they built the railway line through them and became floodplain to prevent that going underwater. But we also struggle with surface run off and flood 3 separate yards very frequently.

We have potatoes in the ground, all 86 acres of them, we still have some turnips left in 30 odd acres of stubble growth that the sheep grazed and our barley is under contract to Carling once the harvest happens.

So nothing to just nip out and haul in for our dinner but if we wait long enough I guess we could do a nice leg of Mutton with new potatoes and a turnip salad  :hmmm:

Newportnobby

Will it be long before farmers/allotment owners need to implement security measures? :uneasy:

exmouthcraig

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 28, 2020, 05:15:14 PM
Will it be long before farmers/allotment owners need to implement security measures? :uneasy:

We have that Mick, it's called a 12bore!!!!!, usually does the trick  >:D

crewearpley40

Ration books. 1 trolley loaded with one milk, bread, eggs, bacon  a cleaning item etc etc. But being honest Mark's and Spencer's was more civilised than the t word supermarket

guest311

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 28, 2020, 05:17:13 PM

and if you've got a backhoe, you don't need to do any paperwork, just bury the thieving  :censored:

guest311

might need to, after all plod will be trying to earn as much as they can fining over 70s who've tunneled out of their housese, or gone to the corner shop twice in a month.

PCCs must be rubbing their hands with glee at thought of all the money they can make out of it.

Mito

Quote from: class37025 on March 28, 2020, 05:23:08 PM

I remember in the late 70s there was a potato crop failure in Pembrokeshire. I worked in the ambulance service and had to pick up a "gentleman" who had tried to nick some potatoes. Unfortunately for him the farmer had left a billy goat in the field which succeeded in severely modifying his femur. He was out of action for months!

You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

daffy

... and on a brighter note  :)

Just been on a happy ride in the drivers cab on the funicular railway from Alpnachstad near Luzern in Switzerland to the top station of Mt Pilatus at 7000 feet above sea level. :D

Then, just cos I could, I rode back down again. :thumbsup:

Lovely pleasant hour in the sunshine, which was shining when I did the journey up for real back in 2006.

Next week, when a new DVD arrives, I'm going to travel from Chur to St Moritz and onward to Tirano in Italy on the Bernina Express. I think the sun will be shining then too.

Isolation can be  a lovely trip down memory lane.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

Quote from: Mito on March 28, 2020, 06:14:55 PM
Quote from: class37025 on March 28, 2020, 05:23:08 PM

I remember in the late 70s there was a potato crop failure in Pembrokeshire. I worked in the ambulance service and had to pick up a "gentleman" who had tried to nick some potatoes. Unfortunately for him the farmer had left a billy goat in the field which succeeded in severely modifying his femur. He was out of action for months!

the thief or the billy goat ? :hmmm:

Mito

As we took the gentleman to hospital I'm pretty sure it wasn't the goat :-\
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Lawrence

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 28, 2020, 05:17:13 PM

Must admit I miss my Winchester Cooey 84, it probably would have come in handy in the weeks and months to come  :(  ;D

exmouthcraig

:laughabovepost: nice to see your not wishing you had anything tooooooo extreme @Lawrence   :D

Lawrence

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 28, 2020, 06:57:23 PM
:laughabovepost: nice to see your not wishing you had anything tooooooo extreme @Lawrence   :D

Well it was only single barrel, great gun to learn with as you only had one shot so it had to count, none of this over under nonsense ;-)
Fortunately @exmouthcraig mine was very tightly choked which gave me a very nice tight pattern

DarrwestLU6

All OK here- we work from home fine, kids are finding lessons on the web conference amusing. We live near fields so can get out for dog walks and runs OK, an people are keeping their distance. The local post office is still operating and the local convenience store has food. After a two week wait, we got some food delivered from our regular supermarket, and have started to dig up the back garden this weekend to grow extra vegetables. Will keep the boys busy over Easter and summer holidays! All this excitement has meant we haven't done any modelling yet but I feel there will be plenty of time for that coming up....

My impression from general reading is that lockdown would be in place at least until the summer- if it's released too early there will be as second spike from those not yet infected getting it, which would far outstrip NHS capacity.

On a train geek note - I saw this on the BBC and thought you'd like to see what the French are doing with the TGV fleet:

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations