farish 108

Started by Steve, December 29, 2011, 06:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I have the (wonderful) Farish 3 car set DMU 108.

I wonder if anyone can solve my slight problem?  I am using it as a branch line train which "winds" its way into the distance on a twisting route.  Sometimes there is a minor derailment and a pair of wheels leave the track.  Has anyone an idea why this may happen?

The curves are not particularly severe.  I wondered if there is something catching the bogies as they turn which is preventing them making a sharp enough movement?

Any ideas?

Steve

MJKERR

Do you have any other motors?
Which specific vehicle derails?

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Steve Viney on December 29, 2011, 06:27:56 PM
The curves are not particularly severe.  I wondered if there is something catching the bogies as they turn which is preventing them making a sharp enough movement?

Could be - see if they move freely , also check that your track isn't twisted
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Steve

I've checked the track and it is fine - really!

I wonder if there is a problem with the couplings as they go round the curves and are possibly catching something on the undercarriage which prevents the bogies moving freely.

The problem is with 2 'coaches'.  The motorised bogie and one bogie on the centre coach. 
When I run it slowly it appears that the wheels on one side lift slightly which is what has made me wonder if there is something catching as the bogie tries to turn. 

The trouble is - I can't see any problem.

4x2

pull the bogie off on the centre coach that derails and see if there is any 'flash' from when is was moulded, especially around the mouning pin and the centre of the bogie (bolster) where the pin goes through.

It could also be the motor bogie on the power car is a bit stiff, my previous 108 had this problem and the only solution is to take it apart and put it back together carefully - it's just a case of fiddling until it is nice and smooth.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Steve

Thanks for that Mike.

I'll try that.  It seems logical.  It may be tomorrow until I get a chance to check.  It's my granddaughter's birthday today so I have to be out and tonight I'm working.  (New year's eve and I'm a musician.)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all who have responded.

Steve

Steve

At last - I've got round to sorting it.  The pivots on the bogies were a bit stiff but they're fine now.  Thanks again for your tips.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations