Graham Farish Class 350 4 Car EMU 350407

Started by kurita, December 07, 2018, 06:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurita

Hello all

New member here - mostly collect Japanese n gauge but also take a passing interest in other models that are near and dear to my heart.

I've seen Graham Farish Class 350 4 Car EMU 350407 listed as 'pre-order' on various websites (including bachmann) for a very long time.  there is a real paucity of information about the model for those of us unfamiliar with farish offerings (for example, will it be dcc compatible easily?  does it have headlights and taillights, etc?).   i was hoping somebody could provide some info about this model including if it might actually be released (and if so, when), what a good buying strategy is (buy from one of the existing resellers who typically have it for GBP 230?  or wait for later discounts?) and what is the quality / features can i expect for this?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.  I've done a few searches here in these forums and haven't found this model discussed.

In the real world, I've found this train to be consistently more or less pleasant to ride on and it looks good - a real departure from most of the trains, I'm afraid, in britain.

Thank you!

njee20

Welcome.

It's a bit difficult with that one. There have been one batch of 350s released about 6 years ago which sold poorly, and ended up heavily discounted, often at £80 or less. There's no accurate release information on the new batch (or the 450), but I'd not expect it any time soon. Your guess is as good as anyone's on how quickly they'll sell, but I'd not be surprised to see them discounted.

It will definitely be DCC ready and have working lights. However, one of the failings of the original batch (nice models as they are) is that you need 3 decoders in a 4-car unit. Bachmann were calling the new one a "new tooling" at one point and there was a suggestion they were re-working the chassis. I've seen nothing concrete on this though, so I'd expect to budget for 3 6-pin decoders per 4-car unit. Or buy two, then you only need 4-decoders for 8-coaches which is slightly more palatable!

kurita

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Sorry i forgot to mention in my original listing that this is to be the trans-pennine livery that i am interested in.

3 decoders in a 4 unit train i don't consider a defect. This is the standard way of doing things in Japan - making the motor car an end car is not as good as putting it in the middle for an EMU.

For compatible kato units, pop-in decoders for the end lights cost very little (perhaps gbp 10-15 or so) and is a small price to pay in my opinion for the simplicity and benefits provided by this.  It would be nice if secondary manufacturers like bachmann/farish made their things compatible with the reliable and cheap kato-branded decoders but probably i'm dreaming.

njee20

Kato adhering to NEM standards would be a far better solution than expecting other brands to adopt Kato's 'standards', which seem variable at best!

I never said needing 3 decoders was a defect, I said a failing - ie I think it's a contributory reason it wasn't more popular as it's a nice model. Adding £50 to the cost of the unit is likely going to put people off. I'm indifferent to where the motor is, the haulage is poor on the 350 (one motorised unit won't pull a dummy even on the flat), so I'm not sure putting the motor in the end coach would have made it any different. It does mean that the motor mechanism is largely hidden in the disabled toilet, and there's loads of room for a sound conversion, which is nice.

I realise it's the TPE one you're after, which there's never been previously, hence my saying that the market is untested and it'll remain to be seen whether you need to pay full retail (or whatever the box shifters have them at)
to ensure you get one. Given the London Midland and Silverlink liveries hung around for a very long time I'd be surprised if TPE suddenly flew off the shelves, particularly given the retail price is more than 50% more than the first batch.

Snowwolflair

Kato do their own dedicated Dcc chips that are (in Japan) quite cheap but are minimal function.  On this basis three chips for a train is less of a problem.

Philosophically speaking.  I collect dud decoders where the motor output transistors are dead but the lights are still OK.  these are great for the end lights and I usually get them free  :)

kurita

Quote from: njee20 on December 07, 2018, 11:23:46 AM
Kato adhering to NEM standards would be a far better solution than expecting other brands to adopt Kato's 'standards', which seem variable at best!

seems like you're passionate about this and i'll defer to your expertise but my issue is simply that their branded decoders are cheap and have worked for me universally and happily with all other dcc items i own from a variety of manufacturers, so I'm happy with them.   gbp 50 to outfit a loco with decoders?

even at today's weaker pound an FL12 can be had for GBP 10 or 11 - you need 2, and an EM12 costs around GBP 13 so that's 33 all in with no cost at all for installation and guaranteed "it will work" ability.  Which, for me, is very cheap but I don't have the time / skill / drive to solder my own decoders. 

njee20

Not overly passionate - just aware there is a global standard that most manufacturers stick to, and which works, except for Kato - so if something were to change I'd sooner see Kato step in line than everyone conform to their own standard. ;)

The trouble with cheap decoders is the motor control isn't all that. Something like a Zimo MX622N is, IMO, the best decoder out there for value:performance. That's £20. Then you need two decoders for the lights, something like LaisDCC are about £12 or so, so that's £24. So yes, £44, plus some postage for your decoders and it's basically £59, which as I said is a failing IMO. Putting the motor in the end coach would have reduced that outlay at the expense of having a visible motor block and compromising on sound fitting ease.

I'm actually fairly indifferent, I think I've got 7 350s, was merely observing a reason I think the first batch sold slowly and why I anticipate the TPE batch being the same.

Adam1701D

Quote from: njee20 on December 07, 2018, 12:25:57 PM
I'm actually fairly indifferent, I think I've got 7 350s, was merely observing a reason I think the first batch sold slowly and why I anticipate the TPE batch being the same.

Particularly when you could pick up a 350 for around £100 and a set of Electra Rail vinyls for £18.00. I think the RTR one might struggle, particularly as they will have been replaced by the new 397s when the model appears.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations