Sir Geoff Boycott retires from cricket commentary

Started by Newportnobby, June 07, 2020, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Our Geoffrey's a bit of a 'Marmite' character when it comes to commentating but, to me, he was always a breath of fresh air in a sport that, IMHO, spends too much time applauding the mediocre.
He just told it as it was and had no hesitation in saying something was 'poor' or 'rubbish' if it was. Of course, I'm also old enough to recall his interminable innings for low scores or even being deliberately run out by Ian Botham!
The Covid-19 virus has meant that owing to his underlying health issues he's too 'at risk' to be involved in the game in the future.
I, for one, will miss him.

Bealman

Yes, shame.  :(

Mind you, not a lot of commentating to be done at the moment!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Philip.

crewearpley40

Depends which side the pennines you from and your loyalties? Boycs was knowledgeable but did utter some gems and some utter useless waffle
The corridor of uncertainty, eeh up my nan could have hit that with her broom handle. It goes on. Here we go   
https://youtu.be/50qT3lbDpVA

Newportnobby

Quote from: crewearpley40 on June 07, 2020, 11:40:47 AM

The corridor of uncertainty

He was right. If the batsman dithers as to whether he should leave it or have a go chances are it's too late and he's gone. It's the only reason I got into the school team as I couldn't bat to save my life but had the knack of putting the ball in just that place.

RailGooner

He may have announced his retirement from commentating, but I predict (and very much hope) he will make many more comments and announcements on the game yet.

Chetcombe

Shame, he is certainly a character, if a bit dour for my taste. Love the video on the story behind Botham running him out - although 10 runs in 20 overs was Boycott 'throwing the bat'!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

LASteve

Good and bad for Boycs.

I was at Lord's on the opening day of an Ashes test when England were put in to bat. Boycott and Tavare. At lunch, I think England were 18-0. I'm not exactly sure, it's the only time I've fallen asleep at at a live sporting event, and before lunch to boot. I was in the old Tavern Stand, so maybe a couple of beers to the good, but nothing like enough to induce narcolepsy.

But "... me nan could have caught that in her pinny".

What's not to like?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations