dapol catalogue

Started by oil2435, April 16, 2012, 11:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Quote from: GWR-Kris on April 27, 2012, 11:57:49 AM
While they are most likely doing all they can to sort these issues, the down side iS that customers will get fed up of constanlty being disapointed with the delays.

Trouble is there's no alternative. Even the other main supplier of British N Gauge - Bachmann Farish - are no better when it comes to delayed releases  ;)

Paul

matt-b

just a question...
but what will a catalogue tell you that cant be found with a quick google search or look around forum sites?

matt
:NGaugeForum:

Roy L S

Quote from: StufromEGDL on June 04, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
Hi All,

Whilst browsing through RMWeb, I happened to pass comment on the continual locking of threads pertaining to the future catalogue.  This resulted in another locked thread. I sent my protests to the Moderator in question but have had no reply.  It seems that any comment (just or unjust) is not permitted.

So, it only remains for me to return to this more reasonable group and reiterate my thoughts that Daves cryptic comment & teasing of products etc is unhelpful, thereby creating rumour & counter-productive speculation. More transparency for the reasons it is late would help, such as, waiting for pics or problems with typesetting or similar......would be appreciated more by me, and I suspect, others too....

Later,
Stu from EGDL
:Class91:

Hi Stu

Yes, I too had noticed that RM Web had locked a couple of threads relating to the subject of the catalogue. However to be fair I suspect this might be partly because it was degenerating into a bit of a whinge session and also some comments appeared to have little to do with the catalogue itself.

I take your point that there have been some hints dropped which are unhelpful to some and simply fuel speculation for others, but I simply take it all as a bit of fun and nothing more. Yes agreed just telling people what the delay is would make the whole issue "go away" for most, but maybe they want to keep it on people's "radar" as much as possible to ensure maximum impact when it does arrive?

Dave J has said on that same forum that the delays are something of an embarassment to Dapol. My take is that in all probability given the sheer size of it now they have simply bitten of far more than they could chew and the whole process of collating material for it and designing it has been underestimated in terms of man hours needed.

Personally I am curious to know what other releases they have planned and not just in N  (I know wash my mouth out with soap  :o ), but my modelling bugdet is already prioritised towards known 2012 releases - a Dapol A3 and Farish 5MT (Both preordered already) and in all likelihood a WD too. So exactly when it arrives is slightly academic as far as I am concerned.

Regards

Roy

Dock Shunter

I agree with you Roy,i don't understand why some people are taking the hint dropping and the teasing so seriously.........it is just a bit of fun.....the way  parents might tease a child who cant wait for Christmas to come........
After all that is what we are like when it comes to new releases......isn't it....?... ;D

H

Quote from: Roy L S on June 04, 2012, 03:50:58 PM

Dave J has said on that same forum that the delays are something of an embarassment to Dapol. My take is that in all probability given the sheer size of it now they have simply bitten of far more than they could chew and the whole process of collating material for it and designing it has been underestimated in terms of man hours needed.

And, of course, I very much doubt that there is anything deliberate or underhand about the delays (as some have appeared to imply - particulalrly on RMweb and probably why the threads are locked).

I get the distinct impression that the new guy wanted to do something that they hadn't done before with regards to a brochure. And then probably under-estimating the workload, wanting to keep it to himself (Dave claims to know nothing about it) and possibly having little experience in producing such a publication, has continually failed to hit target deadlines and get it out to date.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed for the lastest estimate; the end of June. And hope it contains what we'd all like to see.

H.

Guy

I'm content to wait for the previously announced diesels; I think I got used to waiting for Farish to "come up with the goods" (the class 101 wait springs to mind).

What I would really like to see is some idea when they will produce the second batch of blue grey 125s as you can't seem to get these for love nor money, unlike all of the other liveries produced that is!

EtchedPixels

I think some of that is just Dave. He's always been that way and it's just part of who he is. Now and then he does overdo it so quite a few of us got the reference when he said there was a teacup on his desk.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Roy L S

Quote from: EtchedPixels

Now and then he does overdo it so quite a few of us got the reference when he said there was a teacup on his desk.

Alan
/quote]

And one or two of us did not...until now!

Sprintex

Quote from: Roy L S on June 04, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

Now and then he does overdo it so quite a few of us got the reference when he said there was a teacup on his desk.

Alan

And at least one of us still doesn't  ???

Paul

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Sprintex on June 04, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Alan

Paul

Sounds like theres a storm brewing.......... ;D

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang;

Actually I am a realist and can apppreciate the problems in producing a weighty tome,..such as a catalogue....

What I fail to appreciate is the dodgy inferences (of teasers,spoilers and red herrings)  from a supposedly reputable company....

This leads me to believe that the company is either unwilling or incapable of meeting deadlines (of their own making).....of course..I'd be loved to be proved wrong!!!

And I never heard the 'tea-cup' jibe before today!!

Later;
Stu from EGDL
:Class89:

A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Roy L S

Quote from: StufromEGDL on June 04, 2012, 10:57:00 PM
Hi Gang;

And I never heard the 'tea-cup' jibe before today!!

Later;
Stu from EGDL
:Class89:

Hi Stu

Not a jibe, but more a cryptic clue.

My undertanding is that a certain class of small-ish BO-BO Type 2 diesel frequently associated with Scotland (Dapol recently released - I have one on my Waverley Route Layout) earned this nickname by dint of the distinctive sound their engine made at tickover.

These locos were also known as MacRats. by some, I believe, but that was also a name given to Scottish 25s by others.

Regards

Roy

scruff

Quote from: Sprintex on June 04, 2012, 08:52:30 PM

Alan

Paul

That made two of us Paul.. :o Thanks to Roy for the explanation.!  :smiley-laughing:

Dapol Dave has said that  :Dapol: will be producing an eastern region blue/grey hst, I think he said june... but which june???  ::)  ;D

Mark

Karhedron

MIght be of interest to learn that Hattons are now listing the Dapol catalogue on pre-order for the bargain price of only 50p! Even if the postage works out to £4 that is quite a steal.

http://www.ehattons.com/57601/Dapol_Model_Railways_DapolCatalogue2012_Catalogue_for_2012_range_Due_into_stock_on_or_after_Monday_18th_June_2012/StockDetail.aspx

DapolDave has confirmed that the June 18th date is unlikely to be met but Hattons usually honour their pre-order pricing so it might be worth ordering.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

H

18th July is the latest 'confirmed' date.

(if they miss that it could be August before we see it)

H.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations