Level crossing light surround

Started by exmouthcraig, February 15, 2020, 02:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:helpneededsign:

I'm trying to detail my level crossing to make it prototypically correct. We have 4 level crossings on roads by us that we use all the time and our own livestock crossing to access 6 of our fields so current spec level crossings are very easy for me to see and get right.

I have all the correct signage, down to the phone to call the nearest signal man if we are over 61' in length, over 44T in weight and slower then 5mph, I can measure all the sign distances from our own driveway BUT I cant get the correct red and white checked borders for the light box

Has anyone got any recommendations because I'd like to get them finished.

:thankyousign:

guest311

a thin brush, and a steady hand  >:D

don't know of any transfers, sorry.

dannyboy

@exmouthcraig
I don't know just how small you want the red and white squares to be, but I have just created a black and white chequered floor for a scratch build which has, (as near as makes no difference), 2mm squares. I used MS Excel and re-sized the column width and row height and filled alternate squares black. I did this for two rows and then just copied and pasted down the sheet. I then printed the sheet onto an A4 self-adhesive label. I did not need to do so much, as I now have loads of black and white tiles!  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

There's no way I'm over 61ft long but 44T weight and 5mph sounds about right :-[
I realise this doesn't help you but I felt I had to get it off my chest :laugh3:

exmouthcraig

ntpntpntp

Easy enough to create on a computer a red and white printed grid with the correct sized squares of colour, then just cut out the required size for the sign, round the corners and colour in the middle with black.

With the right software (eg. a vector graphics program or photo editor which can do layering) the whole sign can be created and printed off.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

exmouthcraig

I have all the correct signage for all the run up to them and around it..

I have printed some sections of checkerboard off the PC but think i need to print onto photographic paper as 120g/m² isnt quite good enough

ntpntpntp

Yes, use the thickest photo paper your printer will take.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

exmouthcraig

I'll get a few pieces to experiment with. I've got the sizing virtually right so I'll try again in a couple of days with some better paper

Newportnobby

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 15, 2020, 06:41:19 PM
I'll get a few pieces to experiment with. I've got the sizing virtually right so I'll try again in a couple of days with some better paper

The 'Bronco' stuff with 'Now wash your hands please' on every sheet just doesn't make the grade :no:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations