Rivetted steel plate - any ideas?

Started by Ozymandias, May 30, 2014, 12:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandias

I'm thinking of making an armoured British WWII gun carriage (just for a laugh - it won't be exactly historically accurate!).

Does anyone know if you can get hold of sheets of imitation rivetted steel plate in N Gauge, or has anyone got a clever way of making a rivetted "look" on, say, plasticard?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Ray Haddad

Use a gel type of CA glue and apply it with a needle. When you're done, spray it lightly with Zip Kicker. Clean and paint.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

Richard G Dallimore

Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Dorsetmike

This works quite well on thin brass or plastic sheet; handle and wheels with teeth (3 different spacings) run it alongside a ruler over the back of the sheet and it raises a row of rivets on the front. The sheet needs to be on a cutting mat or similar surface, not metal or anything else hard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trumpeter-TSM--9910-Rivet-Maker/dp/B001JJZ2FE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401453069&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=model+rivet+maker

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Ozymandias

Thanks everyone - some great ideas here!

I especially like the look of those decal rivets... :-)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

koyli55002

I have some of the Archer decal sheets and they are very good indeed - perfect spacing and good fine detail. The only hiccup I have found so far is that the project I am using them for needs very thin individual lines of rivets and the decal sheets keep splitting on me during application !
But for what you need them for, I would say they would be perfect

Sprintex

Excellent idea Ray with the CA gel (or superglue gel over here), but. . .

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 30, 2014, 12:56:21 PM
. . . Zip Kicker.

What is that? ???

Paul

koyli55002

"Zip Kicker" is, I think, cyanoacrylate activator.....

Ray Haddad

Quote from: Sprintex on May 31, 2014, 06:27:54 PM
Excellent idea Ray with the CA gel (or superglue gel over here), but. . .

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 30, 2014, 12:56:21 PM
. . . Zip Kicker.

What is that? ???

Paul
Sorry, Paul. Busy day today. Zip-Kicker is a spray CA activator, as was suggested by Koyli.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

1936ace

If you can hang out until 21sr June, a guy is presenting at the same exhibition I am an article and demo on robots and riveting that you just add to what you have built. I'm told by a work mate who is an organiser of the event that he is very good. I will see if Gary will give the pre notes and I could pm them to you.
Hope this is of help
Bart

xm607

Using a sharp needle or dress making pin in a pin vice, gently stab the plastic where the rivet is to go at say 45 degrees, this will indent the plastic and make a bulge leaving a hollow on one side, when painted this will disappear to form the rivet, practice on a spare sheet first.
Steve.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations