DJ Models 2014 Announcements

Started by steam-driven boy, July 23, 2014, 12:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steam-driven boy

Hi,
New models for us in N:
QuoteRaven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive, Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST locomotive, Class 59 diesel locomotive, GWR Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 mogul locomotive
http://djmodelsltd.co.uk/
There's a link there to an other forum where there's a bit of a feeding-frenzy underway  ;)

Corresponding models announced in that rather bizarre OO thingy, including a Kickstarter Class 71, which would be nice if scaled to our needs.
Note the ARC Class 59 is Village of Mells, which Dapol changed theirs to a while back - oh dearie me  :doh:

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

Claude Dreyfus

Interesting and controversial announcements. The Hudswell Clarke is an excellent choice of prototype and bound to do well - especially with the J94 under development. Industrial steam - in both N and 00 is an obvious gap and a furtile ground for new products.

The 59 is a bold move in N, given Dapol have theirs in the pipeline. Calculated risk from DJM, which could be a master-stroke if delivered in the near future (i.e. before Dapol) and is all that is promises to be. Any delays, or if Dapol decide to pull their release forwards to beat DJM, then it could be a disaster.

Fingers crossed, but full marks to DJM for boldness.

Brooksy

Great news on the 59 and now means that there is a DJM model that I will buy. Also very happy that he is offering one of the initial four with its initial name and livery - something that I think was sorely missing from Dapol.

Would be great if there was some rolling stock to go with it now - is Dave going to produce some non-loco stock for N gauge?

Mike W

I'm assuming this IS the Dapol model? The Dapol website doesn't show the 59 under development any more. Also, if it is already under way in China, then why didn't Dave publicise it before now?

I said as much on another forum and Dave liked the post, although I might be talking nonsense.

Either way, great release and looking forward to it.

Ian Morton

Quote from: Brooksy on July 23, 2014, 01:26:10 PM
Would be great if there was some rolling stock to go with it now - is Dave going to produce some non-loco stock for N gauge?

Dave said a while back that given the development costs (research. CAD, tooling, etc.) are similar for locos and wagons he would initially concentrate on locos as they make more money and his resources are limited.

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: Mike W on July 23, 2014, 01:46:33 PM
I'm assuming this IS the Dapol model? The Dapol website doesn't show the 59 under development any more. Also, if it is already under way in China, then why didn't Dave publicise it before now?

I did not realise the 59 had dropped off the Dapol website. If so, and if this is because DJM are picking this up as opposed to being in direct competition, then this is fantastic news for the hobby. There is no point in Dapol hanging on to the 'rights' (for want of a better word) for a model they probably will not be producing in the immediate future, if someone else can produce it in less time, and allow Dapol to concentrate on their sizable backlog.

Potentially a win-win situation all around.

NeMo

Quote from: steam-driven boy on July 23, 2014, 12:38:32 PM
Corresponding models announced in that rather bizarre OO thingy, including a Kickstarter Class 71, which would be nice if scaled to our needs.

Curious choice, the Class 71; would have thought the outwardly similar Class 74 would have been better, or at least, being an electro-diesel, would be seen much further afield than the plain electric 71. On the other hand, the 71 is a very interesting model, and the old school pantograph at the top will be fun to see. I have absolutely no need to get one for my layout, but if the price was right, I'd definitely get one just for the sake of it!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Les1952

The one that hasn't had a comment is the Q6.

Exactly what I need for Hawthorn Dene.  A loco that lasted to the last day of steam in the North East (September 1967) and which did get about quite a lot further than one might imagine.  A reliable heavy goods plodder, with one preserved.

All the very best
Les.

Tank

I'd definitely like a Class 59, and I'm hoping that someone produces the JHA's to go with them. :-\

DCCDave

Quote from: Les1952 on July 23, 2014, 02:59:21 PM
Exactly what I need for Hawthorn Dene.  A loco that lasted to the last day of steam in the North East (September 1967) and which did get about quite a lot further than one might imagine.  A reliable heavy goods plodder, with one preserved.

Do you reckon they got as far as the Waverley Route Les? I don't recall any photos with the evidence.

Cheers
Dave

bridgiesimon

Personally really pleased to see the 63xx on the list, a serious gap in the Western region list at the moment and they got all over the place, lots of option to develop this and model several of the other GWR 2-6-0 veriations.

Interesting about the class 59, I do hope this is instead of Dapol and not another boring double up!!

Best wishes

Simon

Roy L S

Quote from: DCCDave on July 23, 2014, 03:04:12 PM
Quote from: Les1952 on July 23, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

Do you reckon they got as far as the Waverley Route Les? I don't recall any photos with the evidence.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

I have never seen any pictures either, I think it must be highly doubtful.

I am sure you could stretch "Rule 1" though and have some reallocated from south of the border for coal traffic from Lady Victoria Colliery?

I will certainly be buying one!

Regards

Roy

Gyppy101

Q6 for me!  Grew up watching and listening to them heading for Consett until replaced by Austerity locos and then 9Fs

silly moo

The Q6 looks rather an ungainly loco, it looks as though it has a couple of wheels missing at either end   :D.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Stevie DC

Quote from: silly moo on July 23, 2014, 03:34:15 PM
The Q6 looks rather an ungainly loco, it looks as though it has a couple of wheels missing at either end   :D.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Stick a pony truck on the front and you could almost have a Robinson 04! Actually, an appropriate body could potentially see a Robinson 0-8-0 - both much nicer looking locos!  :P

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations