Hattons Pre-Owned - 'Like New'

Started by stevieboy, March 27, 2014, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevieboy

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone had much success with any loco's purchased 'like new' from Hattons?

Reason I ask is that I'm finding it hard to believe that they can call some of the loco's I've seen, and in one case purchased & returned, 'like new'.

My one and only purchase was a Class 20 in BR Green - this had clearly had a small paint repair carried out to the chassis which looked terrible, wrong shade, brush marks etc

Today I looked at the following loco:

http://www.ehattons.com/73190/Graham_Farish_371_376_LN_Class_66_diesel_66610_in_Freightliner_livery_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Wrong chassis

And this one:

http://www.ehattons.com/72126/Graham_Farish_371_060_LN_01_Class_03_diesel_Shunter_D2011_BR_green_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Cab door handrail is flapping around in the breeze!! (Ok, so a spot of glue would fix)

I know it's a case of buyer beware but really the two examples shown are anything but 'like new', especially the 66.

Sorry, probably having a bad day, but thought I'd raise this to aid newcomer's or people looking to use this service.

sparky

I have not bought any of the like new locos but I have bought numerous code 55 points from hattons which to be fair have been brand new and a couple of quid cheaper per point

Jameswgm

I bought an as new Dapol voyager, turns out the lighting had been vandalised on one car and totally removed on the other. Returned it asap. Have had better luck on eBay tbf.

stevieboy

It does make me wonder what level of testing/inspection, if any, is done. 

The process for pre-owned does state that this is done prior to a final price being agreed but obviously the odd lemon slips through.

scottmitchell74

I bought a "like new" Class 25/3 and I can't tell that it was ever owned. It looked completely new to me, so my experience so far has been a good one.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Maurits71

No luck

Bought a GF class 66 in a GBRF livrei I was looking for for ages, had the loc in checked it worked, chipped it and found out later that part of the top was melted.

have kept it as it runs and it's my own fault for not checking but..... as new means probably returned, we don't agree but we don't want to fight with a consumer so put it back in the website.

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

FRED LEWIS

Hello Fred here.
Ive bought three pre-owned 37s from Hattons 2 blue 1 green, been looking for them for ages. All are as new.
Payed about £70 each .Very happy with them.Price of new ones out later this year not far of £100.

Steve.T

Not had any myself but bought several turnouts and have been as new for an okay price. But looking at the locos in stock at present I am a bit suprised how high the prices are. Personally I do not consider them as bargains.
For example £95 Class A3 steam locomotive and tender 60045 'Lemberg' in BR lined green with late crest, when for another £7 you can but new.
Class 03 Shunter for £70 when you can get it for £46 new from Peters spares.

Am I missing something here ?

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

stevieboy

Quote from: Steve.T on March 27, 2014, 05:49:18 PM
Not had any myself but bought several turnouts and have been as new for an okay price. But looking at the locos in stock at present I am a bit suprised how high the prices are. Personally I do not consider them as bargains.
For example £95 Class A3 steam locomotive and tender 60045 'Lemberg' in BR lined green with late crest, when for another £7 you can but new.
Class 03 Shunter for £70 when you can get it for £46 new from Peters spares.

Am I missing something here ?

Steve

That's one of my points, stuff they're selling like new clearly is not. And unlike sales of new items they do have chance to inspect.

Either they do not know what they're looking at or they're passing on odd bits of junk for 'like or over new' prices expecting people to go on the 'great reputation'.

guest311

don't even bother looking at their pre-owned listed items, when it first started they were quoting higher prices for some stuff than they were selling new for.

I did ask if it is possible to screen out the pre-owned items, and was told it was something they were looking at.

just my point of view.

Alex

I saw a US steam loco for £43 'like new' and was tempted until I studied the photos more. One of the tender wheels was missing. This loco has tender pick ups. When I pointed this out they said they would remove the item from the list. This was a couple of months ago and its still there. I offered them £20 but they declined.

Alex  :wave:

ParkeNd

I'm quite a Hattons fan but this is worrying. I am sure something or someone has changed at the top which is why we are seeing these blips - I have asked but they are not answering.

Steve.T

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 27, 2014, 07:54:00 PM
I'm quite a Hattons fan but this is worrying. I am sure something or someone has changed at the top which is why we are seeing these blips - I have asked but they are not answering.

I too have no quarrel at all with Hattons, apart from their occasional use of Yodel for their deliveries when I specify Royal Mail (but that has been discussed so many times so please let's not go there). I still use them for a lot of my orders and find their prices for most things about as good as it gets which is why these prices amaze me.
I was surmising that all these locos were being sold by private sellers and Hattons take a percentage if sold, and, as quite often happens, folk want top prices for goods that are not like new.

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

oreamnos

I am happy to see in this thread that people have been able return items labelled "Like New" back to Hattons when they turn out not to be, since I had read on another forum of an instance of Hattons telling the a purchaser "no returns on these items."

Also from reading this thread I also know who bought that split headcode green Cl 37 for £70!  I almost sprung for it but I'd already spent too much on trains at the time.

As for prices, yes, they are usually stupidly high and as for "Like New," not always.  In fact, some items have obvious problems as already pointed out.  I have pointed problems out to Hattons once or twice buy using the "send us a comment" about this item.  In one instance I received a reply ("we'll check" or some such), in the other, the item clearly sold not long after I sent my comment so Hattons didn't bother responding.

And finally, yes, I have bought two "Like New" items from Hattons.

The first was a BR Standard 3MT tank 2-6-2 in lined green which was being offered for £50.  In fact, here is a link to the listing: http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=69758 . When first released they were £62, so this was a significant bargain.  It did look new in the pictures but like many examples of this model, the dome clearly had been installed backwards at the factory.  I bought it for £42 ex-VAT and on receipt I took the dome off and installed it correctly and it literally was as new.  The only give away that it was second hand was that the warranty sheet that came with it had clearly been unfolded and then folded back up the wrong way.  It ran superbly, straight out of the box.

The second was a GF Class 50 "Illustrious" in blue for £63.  Listing is here: http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=72398

At £63 it was priced £4 more than when originally released in 2006 but I like this model (I know others hate it) in this livery and after knocking of the VAT it was close in price to what I would pay for one on Ebay.  It looked slightly dusty in the pictures but upon receipt, didn't appear to have been run much if at all.  I washed off the dust and it truly now is good as new.  It also runs superbly.

So... my position on the Hattons "Like New" models is to only buy 1.) discontinued items that are 2.) not stupidly priced, which 3.) look like they are indeed like new in the photos and which 4.) have had a reputation for being trouble-free.

Matt

[Edit - since posting this comment I've bought a third "like new" item, and while not a bargain and showing evidence that the previous owner hand put grease on the gears, the item in all other respects looked new and ran as new.  http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=74528]

[Second Edit - I've since bought second hand a Farish Class 40, several Peco wagons and a Dapol Class 58.  The 40 and the wagons were perfect; the 40 was a normal price and the wagons were a bargain.  The Class 58 by contrast was hardly like new after I saw in first-hand (lots of body issues were difficult to see in the pictures) and it was returned for refund which was granted without question.  I am now currently waiting for a second hand Farish Class 46 and another, different second hand Dapol Class 58 to arrive.  Both were offered for prices close to what Hattons sold them for when new.   3rd Edit: OK, the 46 and 58 have now arrived and are perfect and as new!]

Giraffe

Not sure if this is helpful, but Hattons do display lots of their used items in the shop so you can have a good look before purchasing ( or testing on their test track). Fully appreciate this is useless if you're not local.

I've also  noticed in recent weeks they also have supplies of used track and points.

From a personal point of view, the used stuff makes visiting the shop more interesting - bit like the old shop.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations