Exploding chassis

Started by Adrian, March 13, 2015, 03:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on March 15, 2015, 10:31:00 AM
This form of corrosion also affects 1950's Dinky Diecasts

Thats correct many serious collectors have shed a tear or two, especially when you see the price that some are sold for! :o

DesertHound

Very interesting guys. Dave, what are your thoughts on a Poole a Farish for the long run if stored correctly? Like others have noted, there's been no "mass outbreak" yet, so I'm assuming we're ok.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on March 14, 2015, 01:05:49 PM
I have one or two Farish diesel chassis (not more than that) which seem to have "blistered".

Would be interesting to see a pic of this.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

Quote from: Dr Al on March 15, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
I have one or two Farish diesel chassis (not more than that) which seem to have "blistered".

Cheers,
Alan

Sure. I won't be able to check until midweek. It might take some digging around as I can't remember which one/s it/they are but I'm sure I'll find something.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: DesertHound on March 15, 2015, 03:56:17 PM
Very interesting guys. Dave, what are your thoughts on a Poole a Farish for the long run if stored correctly? Like others have noted, there's been no "mass outbreak" yet, so I'm assuming we're ok.

Cheers

Dan

I would assume Dan that these models ordinarily are stored in the natural environment of peoples homes, where temperatures are consistantly stable with minimal humidity. However as I've already suggested to you if storing these models in a collection for long periods then silaca beads or gel in an air tight container would be a good preventative measure to take.

DesertHound

Quote from: Dr Al on March 15, 2015, 05:01:04 PM

Cheers,
Alan

Well I'm glad you asked. It appears to me that Minitrix have been shown up by Poole Farish for a change! I checked through my stock, unclip ping bodies, rummaging through the drawers ... nothing. I checked again, was I going crazy? Nothing.

Oh let's t that ONE Minitrix class 47 I've got. Here are the findings ...

[smg id=23081 type=preview align=center caption="image"]
[smg id=23082 type=preview align=center caption="image"]

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on March 19, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
Well I'm glad you asked. It appears to me that Minitrix have been shown up by Poole Farish for a change! I checked through my stock, unclip ping bodies, rummaging through the drawers ... nothing. I checked again, was I going crazy? Nothing.

That doesn't surprise me - I've never seen any Farish that's obviously exhibited a problem, even the most ancient of stuff, which is a good thing.

Quote from: DesertHound on March 19, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
[smg id=23081 type=preview align=center caption="image"]

Those look like the little inboard weight inserts that have bulged, rather than the main mazak chassis block - I think the inserts are a different material (it's softer certainly), but specifically what it is I'm not sure.

Regards,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

Yes, you're right, it's not the main block. I remember now when I dismantled it for a service (only have one) those weight inserts were quite soft, possibly lead.

Cheers

Dan

Dr Al

Yes, I was under the impression that they had at least some lead content, and this kind of thing is similar to what I've seen on some Peco Jubilee tender blocks. I suspect filing back the bumps would be good enough to ensure they don't start pressing out or bowing the bodyshell - you might even get away with just removing them completely.

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from: DesertHound on March 19, 2015, 02:42:51 PM
Yes, you're right, it's not the main block. I remember now when I dismantled it for a service (only have one) those weight inserts were quite soft, possibly lead.

Cheers

Dan

DesertHound

I'll keep an eye on it. Yes, issue could be that it affects the body (bows out etc.) So far it seems "okay" and makes for a tighter body - will look to see if it's bowing it in any way.

Good that it was a Minitrix and not a Farish - phew!  :doh:

Come to think if it now, I think that must be the only one with this problem. Thought I might have a couple, but given it's on my only Trix, I think my Farish chassis are "okay".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's any issue with Farish (not necessarily widespread) it's with the chassis distorting slightly (laying it on a piece of glass can identify tis).

Cheers

Dan

EtchedPixels

I've seen distorted chassis, and I've heard that in part blamed on children mishandling them (leaning on them to stand up etc). I've not had any showing signs of zinc problems thankfully.

My lima deltic is all lumpy and bulging - but that's the shape it was made  :bounce:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

fisherman

oops...

thought it  was  referring  to  Bullieds West  Countries  and  Merchant  navies!!!!
<o({{{<<

Mr Sprue

Well I hope I don't get any unusual looking lumps appearing in my collection as there is about 40 kilos of the stuff!  :)

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on March 19, 2015, 03:00:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's any issue with Farish (not necessarily widespread) it's with the chassis distorting slightly (laying it on a piece of glass can identify tis).

I've seen a few 94xx chassis that weren't that straight, but I doubt this is a distorting issue, rather that it's been warped by previous owners pressing on them, overtightening screws or attaching to kitbuilt bodies that put force on the chassis if the screws are again overtightened.

For diesels I'd suspect there's a good chance they weren't made perfect in the first place if they aren't straight!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations