Which is the easiest card building for a beginner.

Started by monkey, March 24, 2013, 01:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey

Grandad has quite a few Scalescenes kits  and about 10 Clever Models ones including the free downloads.

What would be the best for me to try for a first attempt?
I don't want anything too large and will need to be country based.

Jazzy      The forums stroppy teenager.

Pengi

What about this one - you could use it as a store on a farm etc . . . and it is free to download

http://scalescenes.com/products/R002
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Jerry Howlett

Hi Monkey,

Give the one suggested by Pengi a go.  Its a bit fiddly but worth a shot.
What kits scalescenes kits has Grandad got ? If you can list them I can tell you which may be easy to build. That way they will be free as you can ask him to print them of for you.

If you want a railway based country one, the goods shed that comes with GWR Station Scalescenes R003b is a nice a simple one. The small station building that comes with it has difficult windows though.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

monkey

Thanks Jerry, he has quite a few.
Canal boats, Concrete Bridge, Dock Walls, Footbridge, Inspection Pit, Both the Low Relief Warehouses, Low relief Flats, Medium Station, Multi storey Carpark, Office Block, Platform, Retaining Wall, Small Engine Shed, Small Goods shed, Small station structures, Small Station and the Warehouse.
Most of the ones with different finish options are brown or dark red brick.

He has built the Small Goods shed, Concrete Bridge, Flats, warehouses both the low relief and the big one, and I think he was looking at buying one of the brick bridges

Jerry Howlett

Wow Jazzy, thats a lot to choose from. My old grey cells will have to study this list and get back to you soon. May have to resort to the aid of a glass of wine on this one....

Brooksy

I've been starting out with the free downloads from Wordsworth model railways - they are very simple. Then moved onto the free goods shed from scale scenes and now bought their platforms and did OK with that. Also wondering what to get next - I want to do the large station but wondering if that's a step too far too quickly.

Jerry Howlett

If you are talking about the one with the curved overall roof it is quite difficult.
Getting the trusses for the roof and then curving it to fit requires a lot of patience. I did percevere but then decided that it was too grand a structure for my layout. I however like the buildings that go with it. The only hard part is the cupola on the top so fiddly in "N" that I abandoned it for a flat roof. This building is going to become a customs house when i get around to my harbour scene.

Jerry

Jerry Howlett

Jazzy,

Looked at the list now. As you are doing a country theme the Medium Station is fairly easy, If you start with the Station "House" you could get a feel for it. Just print pages 3 & 4 plus sheet 7 for the roof tiles. For your first go you could cheat and just cut the roof tiles out to fit the roof rather than layering them on in rows.

I haven't built the canal boats but I did make the large ship and that wasn't too hard and canal boats are ship shaped so...

Don't attempt the small station structures for at least 30 years as they are mind blowingly small and fiddly.

The low relief warehouses are easy but will need to be placed against a backscene. The Small goods shed is harder and I haven't built the engine shed.
Footbridge is also fiddly as is the inspection pit.
The others are more suited a town.
If he does by the arched brick bridge it is fairly easy to make and very useful especially if he has a relation that is building her own railway.....

Good luck

Jerry

monkey

Thank you Jerry.
The station is already sorted - just a waiting room from the Peco set with a couple  of huts.
The farm buildings include Kestrel kits that grandad made me sometime back.

May try the little goods shed as I will need one.
I like the idea of getting him to get the arched bridge kit - it looks better than the Peco one we have in my box of bits.

Brooksy

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 24, 2013, 03:48:34 PM
If you are talking about the one with the curved overall roof it is quite difficult.
Getting the trusses for the roof and then curving it to fit requires a lot of patience. I did percevere but then decided that it was too grand a structure for my layout. I however like the buildings that go with it. The only hard part is the cupola on the top so fiddly in "N" that I abandoned it for a flat roof. This building is going to become a customs house when i get around to my harbour scene.

Jerry

It is the buildings I want - not going to do the roof (at the moment).

Jerry Howlett

In that case I recomend it (the interior includes the booking office). 
Just as I said you may find the cupola a bit tricky.

There is a free steps kit that you should add to your order that brings the building up to platform level if you need it.

Jerry

Oldman

Thanks for encouraging her Jerry :doh:

Looks like I may have to get some more card, and printer ink in stock then.

I said to Monkey that the small goods shed would suit her idea's best and then got the question of bridges thrown at me.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Lawrence

I'm sure Jazzys' enthusiasm will soon rub off on you Mike and you will be planning your own next move soon enough  ;)

Oldman

Cheers Lawrence.
Jazzy will get hers done probably before I try again.

I know what I want to do but don't know how on the limited budget available.
The main problem is suitable loco chassis and then trying to fit Microtrains z gauge couplings to the required rolling stock. Could be a lot of scratch building.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Oldman on March 25, 2013, 12:47:31 PM
Thanks for encouraging her Jerry :doh:

Looks like I may have to get some more card, and printer ink in stock then.

I said to Monkey that the small goods shed would suit her idea's best and then got the question of bridges thrown at me.

Oops.......

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations