Current Farish Steam to Diesel ratio,

Started by trkilliman, January 08, 2023, 02:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

I have just had a look at the Farish website, and was taken aback.
It currently shows 87 diesels and just 17 Steam.

I get the impression that Farish and Dapol may have quietly decided to concentrate for the most part on diesel. Farish no longer list the Castle or 64xx Pannier, and Dapol the Grange.

If this is the case then us steam fans may have to look somewhat to the newish kid on the block Sonic for future steam models.

I may of course be jumping the gun, and it's Chinese production hold-ups behind it.

Sadly Union Mills has just ceased production of their bullet proof steam locos. However Colin the owner is long overdue his retirement.

Yet_Another

I think the fact that there are 28 class 08 shunters, 11 class 31s, 13 class 37s, and 11 class 60s shows the Bachmann modus operandi. 63 models of just four classes.

They tend to remove items from their website when they've sold through, so absence from the list just means it's not within their announcement to sales window.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

PLD

Quote from: trkilliman on January 08, 2023, 02:21:05 PM
I'm always taken aback by how some people can take a snapshot of availability at one location at one instant in time and extrapolate that to a permanent long term production policy of the manufacturer...

That list is merely what is currently sitting in the warehouse or expected imminently and available for distribution to retailers. Given the batch production system, it's hardly surprising that there are quantities of multiple liveries from the most recent batches. It tells us nothing about what might be sat on retailers shelves, not future production plans.

Chris Morris

Manufacturers will and should always invest in the projects that they believe will provide the best return on investment. I do get the impression that the N gauge market is more modern image than it is steam.

Dapol (yes I know) have a few steam outline locos ready for development.  The speed of development will depend upon the level of pre-orders.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Roy L S

Quote from: PLD on January 08, 2023, 03:52:39 PM
Quote from: trkilliman on January 08, 2023, 02:21:05 PM
I'm always taken aback by how some people can take a snapshot of availability at one location at one instant in time and extrapolate that to a permanent long term production policy of the manufacturer...

That list is merely what is currently sitting in the warehouse or expected imminently and available for distribution to retailers. Given the batch production system, it's hardly surprising that there are quantities of multiple liveries from the most recent batches. It tells us nothing about what might be sat on retailers shelves, not future production plans.

Few (if any) outside of Bachmann will be truly qualified to know what their product policy is for N or any other scale.

However it is a fact that availability of products right across the Farish N range has been allowed to reduce markedly, and especially so with steam to the point that up until the recent arrival of the non-sound 4Fs there were just three steam locos in stock at Barwell, all in less attractive and inevitably therefore poorer selling liveries. This is no "snapshot" it represents the position as it has been for a while as far as steam locos go.

As far as diesels are concerned there has been more progress, and the situation is much better but the overall number of livery variants is exaggerated by listing both sound and non-sound models.

I think some of the oddball diesel liveries may suffer the same fate as the those few steam locos that have remained in stock and may stick around on shelves for an extended period.

I don't think there is any evidence of steam being less popular than diesels, the Sonic 56xx appears to have done well enough and Dapol must see a market or they would have not done fresh re-runs of Brits, improved 9Fs etc. I think it is more a case that people cannot purchase something that is not being provided and up to the delivery of the 4Fs as a start that has been the case with Farish steam.

I am hoping against hope that after mainly concentrating on OO and OO9 over the last 3 years or s, 2023 will be the turn of N and more steam will be a part of that.

Roy

Dorsetmike

Reading "between the lines" of a reply from Sonic to a query re forthcoming steam it sounds like simple tank locos.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

TomE

There will be the upgraded 5MTs available during the first half of next year, plus I would be willing to bet that a new tool steam locomotive is announced at some point during 2023.

The Class 90 has shown they are working on new, previously unannounced, N Gauge models in the background and we're only going to find out what those are once they have samples to show and they are around 3 months from hitting the shelves.

Tom.

geofff

Changing the subject slightly. The manufacturers are bringing out numerous coaches to run with steam and early diesel, but as the OP states not much to run them with.

joe cassidy

Maybe it's time for Farish to re-run the Blue Pullman, or the prototype Deltic ?

TomE

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 09, 2023, 05:28:41 PM
Maybe it's time for Farish to re-run the Blue Pullman, or the prototype Deltic ?

The Blue Pullman was reissued recently and is still available in shops.

Tom.

joe cassidy

Is it available in the original midland blue livery ?

TomE

joe cassidy

Brian-1c

TMC also have more than 10 in stock currently :

https://www.themodelcentre.com/370-425

They also have the version with full yellow ends at a very low price, as well as the reverse colour Western Pullman, also at a very low price, all new.

Two decoders needed, 6 pin, both ends are powered and set up so no changes are needed to any decoder CV for running out of the box, they already are in the correct direction.
Brian

joe cassidy

Thanks Brian but I ordered from Rails this afternoon  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations