How many engines have you broken?:

Started by Tdm, October 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Sorry to hijack your thread Tdm. Happy to keep it going with the best of intentions.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Ditape

Quote from: Tdm on October 18, 2014, 07:09:56 PM
Oh Dear,
no sunbathing tomorrow.
Shame on you stop bating us in the UK  ;)
Diane Tape

Tdm

Quote from: Ditape on October 18, 2014, 07:14:00 PM
Quote from: Tdm on October 18, 2014, 07:09:56 PM
Oh Dear,
no sunbathing tomorrow.
Shame on you stop bating us in the UK  ;)

Serves you lot right over there for giving me a bad cold when I came over last week. It may or may not rain tomorrow (if it does it will be the first time since I don't know when) so as a precaution I have moved my open topped car to an underground Garage.

When it does rain - it really does - the pictures below are of a nearby roundabout and the TF1 Motorway when we last had a heavy downpour.

DesertHound

Tdm - are you sure moving it to an UNDERGROUND garage is a wise move? I know when it rains here that underground garages are full of floating Porsches and Lamborghinis. Serves them right for getting the "best" parking spots  :P
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Tdm

Quote from: DesertHound on October 18, 2014, 09:59:38 PM
Tdm - are you sure moving it to an UNDERGROUND garage is a wise move? I know when it rains here that underground garages are full of floating Porsches and Lamborghinis. Serves them right for getting the "best" parking spots  :P

Although it's an underground car park - the building itself is on high ground and above the level that normally gets flooded. Porches and Lambos are the toys of rich kids (Bankers usually) and I don't care what happens to them, but a real Man's car such as my Triumph Stag needs to be preserved and should live on forever. My trastero (storeroom) is on the 7th floor - so no danger of my layout getting flooded either.

DesertHound

I was hoping (and thought) you might say as much. Phew!

Cutter

Broke my Dapol A4 today--or rather, I think my daughter did. It was happily running round my test track when I popped out for a moment and returned to find my daughter sitting at the adjacent computer and the A4 on the table broken apart. She tells me it fell off the table onto the tile floor--I think she knocked it.

Fortunately I managed to reassemble the pieces and it is running again. The only damage evident is a missing buffer head, and I think I can fit another. For a few minutes I thought it was a write off. Pleased that it is not.

4x2

Lucky you !

I dropped a 9f onto a book, about a 3ft drop.... Now spare parts as body was badly damaged and chassis nows runs like a 3 legged donkey !

The dapol A4 does have very fragile buffers, I've seen quite a few repaired after breaking off.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Bealman

Vintage Peco Jubilee... using it as a test locomotive on some newly laid track in 1989.... forgot there was no stop at end of trackwork... 4 foot onto concrete floor. It's been a sick puppy every since, but it's a very nice sick puppy as it was given a wonderful repaint from a friend back in the 90s. So it just sits there looking pretty, these days.
[smg id=2550 type=preview align=center width=400]
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

Funny you should say that Bealman. I will need to do some testing as I lay some track in the not to distant future, which will be on a ledge and have segments which end at a "cliff face" - I was thinking the exact same thing is likely to happen to me.

Usually if I have these thoughts it means it's going to happen!

Dan

Bealman

Dan, just don't leave the controller running full pelt while you look the other way.... that's what happened with my Jubilee!!  :doh:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

Ah - but surely if it's going to go, you might as well do it at full pelt  ;D You never know, a bit of forward velocity at the point of impact might lessen the blow! In all seriousness, a few books or something weighty at the track end's will be a must methinks.

Dan

railsquid

Now there's an idea for an enterprising accessories company - clip-on baseboard safety nets.

I'm just dreaming up a terminus station and TMD which will involve a few tracks terminating close to a precipitous drop. I'm going to put some kind of scenic element there to prevent accidents caused by buffer failure at high speed, but while testing remind me to put something soft in the drop zone just in case.

Tdm

Quote from: Bealman on October 19, 2014, 01:15:18 AM
Vintage Peco Jubilee... using it as a test locomotive on some newly laid track in 1989.... forgot there was no stop at end of trackwork... 4 foot onto concrete floor. It's been a sick puppy every since, but it's a very nice sick puppy as it was given a wonderful repaint from a friend back in the 90s. So it just sits there looking pretty, these days.
[smg id=2550 type=preview align=center width=400]

I have a lovely hand painted (not by me) Jubilee in "00" that I couldn't bear to part with when we left the U.K. and have it on display on top of a shelf in our Dining Room along with a few other "00" items I kept including a Collett, a Panier, and 3 Blackpool Trams. Since moving to N gauge they now seem so big and heavy. They haven't run for 10 years but they were working fine when I last ran them.

Oh - And by the way I am really glad I moved my car last evening as it started raining about 3pm this morning and has never stopped and it is thundering and lightening right now and throwing it down like a Tropical Monsoon. So bad that we have sent our Lifeguard home as he won't be needed today.

As I was typing this we just lost our Internet Service because of the weather, and it means we will lose the TV services as well as it is all Satelite based and the dishes are getting a hammering. Don't know when you will get this post, depends when we get the service back, but it is currently just after noon and I suspect parts of Los Cristianos are going to get flooded again I fear.

Dr Al

Quote from: Tdm on October 19, 2014, 12:52:15 PM
I have a lovely hand painted (not by me) Jubilee in "00"

On the topic of repainted Jubilees, this is one I did....just before Bachmann brought theirs out!!

Amazing that Peco never brought it out in BR colours.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations