How many engines have you broken?:

Started by Tdm, October 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

It is just over 12 months since I first started modelling in N gauge, and I seem to have broken quite a number of my engines whilst trying to fix them myself when they went wrong rather than return them for repair.

Seems I can't resist taking things apart when they stop working properly, but my repair success rate is at the moment pretty poor.

Living "abroad" means I hate parceling things up and returning them as it is likely to be some time before they are repaired or replacement items come back to me again.

My record of failed & successful repairs I personally have made to-date is as follows (in order of item purchase date) :-

1 - Farish CL08  - Stopped running (grit in gears) - cleaned & fixed.
2 - Farish CL25/3 -    "            "              "                      "             "   .
3 - Farish CL47 -  Damaged gears – replaced chassis with one from Peters Spares.
4 - Farish CL37 - Stopped running (faulty connection) - Took apart but couldn't fix.
5 - Farish J39 -  Stopped running - Took apart Tender drive but couldn't fix.
6 – Farish WD Austerity - Broken exterior drive rods - Removed broken rods – will
                                      only just now run (poorly).
7 - Farish CL24 - Stopped running (grit damaged gear wheels) - acquired new
                          bogies from BR Lines – now running fine again.
8 - Dapol CL73 - Stopped running (grit again?!) - Took apart but couldn't fix.
9 - Dapol CL37 - Stopped running (making strange noises) – Took apart but no fix.
10 - Dapol CL27 - Stopped running & lights failed – Took apart & fixed and runs but
                            minus running lights.
11 - Farish CL66 - Stopped running – replaced damaged bogies with new ones
                            from BR Lines and now fine.
12 - Dapol CL66 - Similar problem to Farish model and it too needs new bogies.

I think quite a number of the above problems where due to me not glueing down ballast properly on my track and it getting sucked up into the gear wheels. I am learning to be a little bit more careful now.

I have probably gone overboard on the number of engines I have purchased, mostly on-line but some at last December's Train Fair in Chester, and some "used" models (from various sources) rather than new ones.

Although the above list is quite extensive, it doesn't include the locomotives I have that have never given me any trouble, and which includes 3 Union Mills models and several more Farish Diesel & Steam engines.

Hopefully the next 12 months will see far fewer problems, how many of you out there on this Forum have broken as many engines as I have when they first started?

As regards Steam locomotives I think I will stick with Union Mills in future, and for Diesel it is going to be Farish although I have nothing against Dapol that I can put my finger on, but they do seem more expensive than their Farish equivalents and to give more problems.

Very soon my children who live in Chester & Chelmsford respectively will be asking me what I want for Xmas, and I am going to suggest some things for my Model Railway, but what I don't yet know as it depends on what comes available between now and then.

Ideally I would like a bigger Storeroom where I could build a bigger Layout, but that is something for the Future, what's on your Xmas List as regards Model Railway items?

railsquid

Quote from: Tdm on October 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PMwhat's on your Xmas List as regards Model Railway items?
The time and the patience to get my layout into working condition; and the time and the patience to get it working with DCC.

Sprintex

Engines broken - 1.

My Farish HST didn't appreciate nearly eight hours constant running pulling a full rake and burnt its motor out, body was so hot couldn't even pick it up! Replacement motor from Bachmann and it was all OK again, although now suffering from the usual Bachmann split-chassis gremlins, probably due to rubbish power pick-up design. Suffered same pick-up problems with split-chassis Class 31 and 37 and both fixed with a simple couple of wires to bypass using the chassis as part of the circuit ;)

Other than that no problems, all the following have been fine from day 1:

4x Dapol Class 156
2x Farish Class 108
Dapol HST
Farish Class 04 (after pickup adjustment)
Farish (Poole) Flying Scotsman
Farish (Poole) Class 91
Farish Blue Pullman

The only other problem is with an ancient Farish Class 47 cheap from Ebay that I knew had problems, and despite all attempts will not run right. Now got a Lifelike chassis to go in it instead :thumbsup:

Paul

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PLD

The number aparently with 'grit in the gears' is rather concerning. That suggests the layout is in a location or atmosphere far from ideal for good consistent running.

Rather than trying to 'Fix' the locos, you would be better off fixing the source of the polution to stop it getting in the locos in the first place!

Broken drive rods on the WD also suggests to me either poor handling or poor storage - again the best course of action is preventative action to stop the dammage being incurred.

port perran

I've collected about 30 locos over 5 years or so and haven't broken any. They all still run OK.
But then , I don't tinker with them at all.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Many of mine carked it from running all day at exhibitions, but that was the 80s and 90s.... even my Minitrix ones threw traction tyres!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DCCDave

I've dropped one (a Poole era Black 5) and completely wrecked it.

In the early days quite a few locos (and some rolling stock) had detail knocked of when inserting or removing them from foam trays in aluminium stock boxes. The small pieces would snag on the foam and become separated. I don't use these foam trays these days, storing all locomotives and rolling stock in their boxes instead.

I've had a number of failures.

Farish (China) Class 40 split its gears.
Three Ivatt 2 tanks which I couldn't cure of their waddle, or on which the valve gear constantly locked up. All returned to the vendor. I just think this model is a duff design.
Twp Dapol 9Fs (from the first batch), again appalling runners returned for a refund. Again a duff design. I understand that batch 2 locos were better but I've not risked one.
A Dapol Brittania which burnt out the connection between tender and loco, It was replaced by the vendor and the replacement has been fine.
Farish Jinty (China, but not the current model) which I tried to DCC convert and melted through clumsy soldering. I've converted more since with better results.

Having said all of that I have 38 good locos. The only one I'm not happy with is a Farish A1 which has terrible haulage, I plan to add more weight to it to see if that improves matters. If not it will be sold.

Cheers
Dave

Dr Al

Quote from: DCCDave on October 17, 2014, 08:32:09 AM
The only one that I've compromised on my 'no-nonesense' stance is a Farish A1 which has terrible haulage, I plan to add more weight to it to see if that improves matters. If not it will be sold.

Have you fitted both sets of tyred wheels to the tender? if so make sure they are on the rear two tender wheelsets - this should give the maximum haulage capacity for this loco.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Tank

I used to enjoy fixing my Poole era models when I was a teenager.  I always got a real buzz from it!  Mine were mainly all diesels.  Thankfully I've been lucky with the 'newer' loco's that I've bought in the last 10-15 years.  Just a couple of Class 150's and an 08 that I needed to fix.

johnlambert

I've not broken that many (I'm not counting failures due to manufacturing defects) but tales of my slip-ups may serve as cautionary tales for N-gauge newbies.

First breakage was a Graham Farish green warship.  I didn't notice that the points were set against the loco and it became - briefly - a flying warship.  The only damage done was cosmetic but I've never found the windscreen, which popped out when it hit the (thankfully carpeted) floor.

Second breakage was a Chinese made, late model Graham Farish Hall.  I had a spare body from a job lot of spares, which I'd given a weathered black finish, and the idea was to swap the bodies and a spare weathered tender to create a running but run-down-looking loco.  For some reason the body didn't quite fit the chassis so I abandoned that plan and set about putting back together as the factory intended.  But something went wrong as it won't run now, the motor works fine but something is too tight.  That one is now in the "to fix sometime" box (I should send it to BR Lines really).

And that's it.  I've had some "near miss" failures, usually when I think I can improve the running of a loco.  It is usually Poole-Farish style locos, which are simple enough for me to be brave enough to tinker with.  The lesson for me is, if it is running well enough then leave well alone!

DesertHound

Have the confidence to have a tinker guys, if your locos aren't sounding or running correctly. I cannot say much about the Chinese stuff but the Poole built Farish is pretty robustly made and you won't break much if you are careful. I broke a pick-up for a Duchess Class once and it just taught me to be that little bit more careful.

Spares still abound so you can always get new parts if you need them (don't chuck out the old components, they'll be useful to somebody one day).

Getting the locos running again (and I mostly work on diesels - I find them not as frustrating as steamers to work on) comes down to time and patience. It can involve assemble, disassembly, re-assembly etc. etc. etc. until you identify or crack the problem. That said, when you do get it right, it is rewarding. Just keep persevering and those Poole Farish can be fixed.

If not then send them to me  :D

Ah, forgot to mention - knocked a stock box onto a tiled floor, about five locos fell out. Luckily it was only a foot off the floor to start with. Damage was only cosmetic, but a warning to me nonetheless not to balance stock boxes where they don't belong!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

mr bachmann

I don't usually get the chance they come that way (apart Union Mills)

Alan

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on October 17, 2014, 03:09:05 PM
Have the confidence to have a tinker guys, if your locos aren't sounding or running correctly.

Personally I'm still scare witless about actually dismantling any of my motive power units, but as I'm planning on going the DCC route, no doubt I'll have to bite the bullet one day. To which end I'm going to acquire a couple of "junk" locos for practicing on (dunno about the UK but in Japan most model shops have a junk corner with stock which is defective in some way for a very reasonable price).

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on October 17, 2014, 03:09:05 PM
don't chuck out the old components, they'll be useful to somebody one day

Depends very much what components they are. Melted bearings, split gears should be binned and therefore removed from circulation, as I can't see they would ever be of any use to anyone.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations