most often forgotten item of infrastructure

Started by bluedepot, August 02, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

can you buy bridge number signs suitable for the 80s and 90s anywhere?

"Bridge numbers. Every railway bridge is numbered to identify it, either with a cast plate or a number painted on somewhere."

anyone got any ideas on making buddleia???  does this flower in the summer?   (not infrastructure but i'll allow it as a suggestion!)

many other good suggestions!   a useful thread to reference when people are thinking about adding details to their layout...

tim

Mustermark

Very useful thread... How about taking the compiled list and having people add photos (model or prototype) of the item, and info on eras and locations that apply?

Example, concrete cable trunking or AWS ramps... When did it appear? And does it look different on different regions?

We could even include info on where you bought the bits to make it...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

FeelixTC

Quote from: bluedepot on August 05, 2014, 09:02:47 PM

anyone got any ideas on making buddleia???  does this flower in the summer?   (not infrastructure but i'll allow it as a suggestion!)

I have some ideas; but I ain;t putting my head above the parapet until I've tried it.

Note to self: Do some Modelling Mitch!

Caz

Quote from: Mustermark on August 06, 2014, 12:29:38 PM

. . . . AWS ramps... When did it appear? And does it look different on different regions?

Originally called ATC one of the earliest was in 1905 on the Fairford branch that is part of my Claywell railway and until is closed, the 22mile Fairford Branch was devoid of any distant signals.

"The system was called ATC, Automatic Train Control. It was developed in the company's Reading Signal Works as a combined effort of signal engineers and craftsmen starting in 1905, and was tested on the double-track Henley branch, where 6 ramps were installed. Later the same year, it was tried on the 22 mile, single-track Fairford branch, where the distant signals were removed. The later decision was taken to retain them in future installations, possibly because drivers were uneasy at their absence, but also to permit non-equipped engines to work trains on equipped lines. The GWR was a true pioneer; nothing like its system existed elsewhere, and it was adopted as standard, not as a mere experiment. "
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

GroupC

Quote from: Rabbitaway on August 04, 2014, 07:35:52 PM
on a lot of buildings there are no lintels above windows so brickwork / stonework held up by fresh air

:hmmm:

... but I can cite my 120-year old house as an occasionally worrying real world example of having windows without lintels (and fireplaces without too, if you're mad enough to model interiors to this level of accuracy in N gauge)!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bluedepot on August 05, 2014, 09:02:47 PM

I bought some OO budleia which with a bit of tweaking is fine for N (especially railway sized ones)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Kipper

A steaming heap on the sleepers, with wind blown paper, because someone pulled the chain whilst in the station.

Train spotters.

Agrippa

I was going to suggest that, but decided to wait in case someone with a sense of humour like mine
thought of it.... :D

Just a thought, but everywhere there are notices about dog fouling and the penalties
for such , but rail tracks can be absolutely manky. I suppose it's like s kind of weathering.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Jerry Howlett

:offtopicsign:  BUT I Remember a Track gang bloke in the 70's showing off a particulary unusual bruise that he obtained from a passing fast train....

Ouch and ughhhhh!!!!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Bob Wild

Very useful thread... How about taking the compiled list and having people add photos (model or prototype) of the item, and info on eras and locations that apply?

Example, concrete cable trunking or AWS ramps... When did it appear? And does it look different on different regions?

We could even include info on where you bought the bits to make it...

As a novice, I would find this invaluable.

PS Thanks EP

bees

Quote from: Kipper on August 06, 2014, 03:20:02 PM
A steaming heap on the sleepers, with wind blown paper, because someone pulled the chain whilst in the station.

Train spotters.

Bangers and mash ;-) lololol

Quote from: Agrippa on August 03, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
Land Rovers and trucks with flanged wheel attachments, maybe you can get
them ready made , but I don't recall seeing any.

Oxford diecast do a superb Landrover Defender that could be adaptable, if not, it still looks good.

Steven

:NGF:
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Lemland

Quote from: Agrippa on August 06, 2014, 04:07:26 PM
Just a thought, but everywhere there are notices about dog fouling and the penalties
for such , but rail tracks can be absolutely manky. I suppose it's like s kind of weathering.

I do have some bird poo on one of our layouts, though. Just a few tiny white lines.

:D

Bart

Wingman mothergoose

For the modern image guys, what about axle counter boxes? Or hot axle box detectors?
Flange greasers anybody? ;-)

Chris

On the subject of poo, it's not a common sight out in the middle of nowhere, but in stations the tracks can be positively rank! Despite there being signs in train toilets, people still flush in stations on the older stock...

Sprintex

edwin_m

Quote from: Caz on August 06, 2014, 01:11:32 PM

. . . . AWS ramps... When did it appear? And does it look different on different regions?

Originally called ATC one of the earliest was in 1905 on the Fairford branch that is part of my Claywell railway and until is closed, the 22mile Fairford Branch was devoid of any distant signals.

However the ATC system was different from the AWS system we use today and the ramps looked very different.  It actually was a ramp, which lifted a shoe on the bottom of the train, whereas AWS relies on magnets rather than physical contact. 

AWS started appearing in the early 50s and is now universal.  ATC would only have been fitted on GWR routes and was gradually superseded by AWS, with the last ones going sometime around the mid-70s. 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations