Analogue & DCC compatability

Started by Southendnick, July 30, 2013, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southendnick

Probably a really stupid question but my first railway is a pure analogue one would DCC ready trains be safe to run on it?

feeling a bit of a  :dunce:

4x2

Quote from: Southendnick on July 30, 2013, 07:51:39 PM
Probably a really stupid question but my first railway is a pure analogue one would DCC ready trains be safe to run on it?

feeling a bit of a  :dunce:
DCC ready = yes
DCC FITTED = No

Simples !

I should point out however, that some DCC FITTED loco's can run on DC (analogue) - It should say in the description of the item. Most Bachmann American stuff that's DCC FITTED can be run on DC, don't know of many others, but if in doubt just ask the seller.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Southendnick

Ta

Being my first model railway, things can get confusing.

willintas

On my first layout too mate,certainly not a silly question and i have decided to go dc as well as Choice here is very very limited and just wanted to keep it simple.

Newportnobby

The Peco 22xx steam loco is fitted with a Lenz (I think) chip but it recognises DC or DCC so runs on both with no adjustment.
They are, however, somewhat difficult to find at a reasonable price ::)

Southendnick

Am trying to find a Class 31 in blue as it was what was used on the miniature railway I am basing my railway on, they pop up on ebay but I am always out bid  :'(

4x2

Quote from: Southendnick on July 30, 2013, 11:04:28 PM
Am trying to find a Class 31 in blue as it was what was used on the miniature railway I am basing my railway on, they pop up on ebay but I am always out bid  :'(
don't worry, when the new tooled 31 comes out there will be loads of old ones on ebay.
The current ones are great runners so the upgrade is really just cosmetic unless you need dcc and lights.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Country Joe

DCC ready is an ordinary DC engine that can be easily fitted with a decoder. Here in the US all modern decoders are dual mode which means that they will recognize if they are on a DC or DCC layout automatically. I would think that decoders factory installed by British manufacturers are the same but I don't know for sure.

Southendnick

Cheers for the replies

it's a 100% analogue set up, actually started to lay track today  :claphappy:  all was going well until the cat thought the board looked like a great place to take a kip!

So I cracked open a bottle of wine and watched Top Gear Tornado, Jaguar & Vincent Black Shadow from London to Scotland.

texhorse

Just to echo what Joe said, it's fine for DCC locos to run on an analogue layout, as long as the decoder specifies it's ok.  I have a Kato SD70ACe with a Digitrax decoder in it.  It runs a little slower with the DCC decoder in it, but otherwise, you wouldn't know any difference.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Cimmerian

Great, that's another question I won't have to ask. ;D
Regards, Ken

Southendnick

Quote from: Cimmerian on August 01, 2013, 08:44:26 AM
Great, that's another question I won't have to ask. ;D

I'm a mind reader!

mereman

Even worse if he reads my mind......
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

daveg

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations