Darker view

Started by Byegad, June 29, 2017, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

It is what you put over your eye if you have an eye infection.
Everybody knows that....
:no:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Byegad

I'm not sure why my second post was removed, but I'll try again.

I use CycleChat who offer a choice of background shading, so it can be done.

I'm using a laptop and as I've said previously I get a migraine if I use a bright screen too long. It's not the background to the text that's too bright for me, it's the white border that really gets to me.

Seeing as nobody is interested in my problems, I won't post again.

Bealman

Byegad

We value our members. We are, as folk point out, the friendly forum.

Check out our membership numbers.

We listen to every complaint, but have to remain realistic.

We cannot alter a whole operating system on the whim of one member.

I hope you reconsider your decision and continue to contribute.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Snowwolflair

Too bright screens may be due to viewing in a darkened room.  In a bright room your eyes close and let in less light making the screen seem darker.

austinbob

Might be better to turn the contrast down rather than the brightness, if that's possible on your screen.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Tank

Sorry, we don't have any themes that are currently compatible with all of the 'add-ons' that are on the forum.

I am also a migraine sufferer, and I found that buying a filter for my screen is a huge help.  The one for my work PC is made by 3M and is code BF10XXL.  You'll need to get one the right size of course!

ntpntpntp

@Byegad   As mentioned previously, I use 4 monitors all day at work and various laptops at home.   Whilst not a migraine sufferer I do really hate bright screens, and I find I run my monitors at around 40% brightness.

As @Snowwolflair mentions, make sure you're not trying to use the screen surrounded by low light eg. in a darkened room. It's important to maintain an even brightness across your entire field of view (I've read this in VDU healthe'n'safety guidelines somewhere).   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

daffy

I concur re the ambient light issue: I had my eyes tested this week and the Optometrist raised this specific issue as he was viewing his PC screen at the time in a darkened room! I mentioned iPad use and he said he hoped I wasn't doing as he was as it is not good for the eyes, particularly at night.

Incidentally, if anyone does use an iPad (and doesn't already know) there is an auto setting to reduce screen brightness in low ambient light, and this is obviously relating to the same issue of not viewing bright screens in low light conditions.  I suspect other devices may have the same capability.

Anyway, now I am fully tested and awaiting new glasses (3 pairs!) so the funds for rolling stock have just been reduced by a few locos.  :(

(Okay, so this last bit has nothing to do with the thread subject, but I'm having a Gone With The Wind moment. :P )
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

joe cassidy

If I were a journalist working for Viz I would reply :

"Look on the "bright" side - you've now got an excuse to wear shades at home like Les Grey out of Mud"

Best regards,

Joe

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Byegad on July 06, 2017, 11:52:22 AM
I'm not sure why my second post was removed, but I'll try again.

I use CycleChat who offer a choice of background shading, so it can be done.

I'm using a laptop and as I've said previously I get a migraine if I use a bright screen too long. It's not the background to the text that's too bright for me, it's the white border that really gets to me.

Seeing as nobody is interested in my problems, I won't post again.

Forgive me everyone if I seem to be reading things incorrectly here, but there does seem to be many unhelpful comments made to what would appear to be a reasonable question! :confused1:

So getting back on topic Byegad I take it you have tried the obvious by using the Fn keys on your laptop to either dim or brighten your monitor? If you have and that doesn't work for you download and try f.lux software which is free, it wont change the background colour on any websites you view on your browser but you will be able to soften the emitting light from your monitor (incandescent to daylight) by using the sliders.

As someone who's has got AMD in its early stages I have found this software to be really good on the eyes. On bright days I wear sunglasses a lot to protect my eyes, so staring at a bright monitor gives me headaches after wearing my polarised UV blockers!

I hope my post is of use to you!

f.lux Download

daffy

Quote from: Mr Sprue on July 06, 2017, 08:34:22 PM

Forgive me everyone if I seem to be reading things incorrectly here, but there does seem to be many unhelpful comments made to what would appear to be a reasonable question! :confused1:

:confused1:I can see that there have been a lot of helpful comments here, and @Only Me  and @Tank have pointed out the limitations of this particular Forum if it is to retain the other features we have, so I am confused by your comment here.
However, be that as it may, I hope the OP can find a solution to his problem from the suggestions given by yourself, myself, and others, all of which have merit in reducing the brightness of the white background.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Mr Sprue

Quote from: daffy on July 06, 2017, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Mr Sprue on July 06, 2017, 08:34:22 PM

:confused1:I can see that there have been a lot of helpful comments here, and @Only Me  and @Tank have pointed out the limitations of this particular Forum if it is to retain the other features we have, so I am confused by your comment here.
However, be that as it may, I hope the OP can find a solution to his problem from the suggestions given by yourself, myself, and others, all of which have merit in reducing the brightness of the white background.

You know what? .....After what you have just posted I have read back and apart from the SMF limitations that "Only Me" and "Tank" have pointed out there are only about four posts that could be deemed to be proactive and helpful!

So having said that and not wishing to get caught up in some kind of slagging match I'm out of here.. :wave: 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations