Rivet counting v actually enjoying your hobby

Started by Elvinley, September 15, 2011, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Quote from: Irish Padre on September 15, 2011, 12:29:50 PM

respect for each others' efforts

Absolutely spot on Padre

................................. now step away from the recorder mister  :evil:

:smiley-laughing:

tadpole

A river counter wouldn't know where to start on critiquing my (allegedly) German layout, which resembles no railway on earth, unless there's a hitherto undiscovered sundaela desert somewhere with a railway running across it. Barely a grain of ballast, childish signals and temporary platforms (mostly British) that have been in situ over a year already. :thumbsdown:

I know exactly which stock has the wrong number of rivets, but don't have the resources, confidence, skills or patience to correct them, I'm afraid. The fact they are wrong doesn't detract from my enjoyment, and I can barely see the faults once they're on the track anyway.   8)

One thing I am a stickler for is realistic track plans. I  ::) at poorly situated facing points,  :'( at unworkable sidings, and  :o at dangerous or unnecessary duplicative trackage and pointwork. Sorry, just a hobby-horse of mine.

Two rails good. Three better.

poliss

Elvinley

Quote from: newportnobby on September 15, 2011, 03:13:58 PM
Whilst completely understanding the logic/reasoning behind the OP, it is probably a misnomer to ask 'Rivet counting v actually enjoying your hobby', as it is clear you can do both rather than choose one or t'other. It is a great topic and I am enjoying seeing who does one or the other or both, but as Elvinley has said, it comes down to attitude and the way things are said.
I have absolutely no objection to anyone calling me a to**er, as long as they are prepared to tell me why I am a to**er and debate the fact. Then I can make my own mind up if I am one or not :smiley-laughing:

Yes, I know it is pleasurable for some to get it right down to the last detail and I fully understand that. I always try my best to get things to look right, but am aware of my shortcomings. I would rather have fun than get things right 100 percent of the time and loose sleep over stupid little details.

I just feel that some people will feel intimidated by those who are as pedantic as the person writing in BRM. At first when I read the letter, I thought about my layout and the signals he had mentioned. Some people would probably feel pressurized to go and change their signals.

As I work on the real railways I see the real thing happen daily and I know that I go against real practise on my railway. I also know that so do 99 per cent of railway modellers.  I have stopped worrying about that sort of thing and get on with having fun with my hobby.

MinZaPint

Just had to put in my twopenneth, I would like my layout to be realistic, but it has to be enjoyable and up and running as soon as possible given time and finance considerations. So I'll press on using code 80 rail (I had alot from my last layout atempt 30 years ago) and endeavour to get it looking right). I've posted a layout plan in "layout planing" and a pic of my start at track laying, as soon as I can think of a name I'll start posting in "Layout construction". I have started taking "Model Rail" and can only marvel at the quality of the layouts the photos are so lifelike something beyond my capabilities. With best wishes to all that to what ever degree of modeling enjoy it.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Elvinley

Code 80 can look fine if weathered nicely. I used it on my railway and I have seen others where it looks good like Batty Moor.

4x2

Quote from: tadpole on September 15, 2011, 05:54:56 PM
One thing I am a stickler for is realistic track plans. I  ::) at poorly situated facing points,  :'( at unworkable sidings, and  :o at dangerous or unnecessary duplicative trackage and pointwork. Sorry, just a hobby-horse of mine.

I think this is a valid point - Everybody has their own particular 'field of interest' which they have good knowlage of and will soon spot other peoples mistakes in these fields. I HATE poor running with a vengence  :evil: and if I see other peoples locos/stock running poorly I want to grab it and attack it with a screwdriver (ask elvinley ! :smiley-laughing:), on our own we can all be obsesive about something, but together on the forum we become a great database of which i'm proud to be part of ! :NGF:

Back to Elvinley's original point - some of the popular model mag writers do come over a bit too strong, must be quite intimidating to new modellers of any scale, i'm sure this is something the Model railway hobby could do without, or maybe a new mag to cater for the more demanding modeller ?
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

port perran

Quite simply, it's your layout so do what pleases you.
If , like me, you model a Cornish branchline scenario who cares if you run a loco (eg a Teddy Bear 0-6-0) which was alien to that particular part of the country.
It should be about fun and enjoyment. If you want absolute accuracy then fine , if you also want a fantasy layout then that's fine too.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Elvinley

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 15, 2011, 08:28:11 PM

I think this is a valid point - Everybody has their own particular 'field of interest' which they have good knowlage of and will soon spot other peoples mistakes in these fields. I HATE poor running with a vengence  :evil: and if I see other peoples locos/stock running poorly I want to grab it and attack it with a screwdriver (ask elvinley ! :smiley-laughing:), on our own we can all be obsesive about something, but together on the forum we become a great database of which i'm proud to be part of ! :NGF:

Back to Elvinley's original point - some of the popular model mag writers do come over a bit too strong, must be quite intimidating to new modellers of any scale, i'm sure this is something the Model railway hobby could do without, or maybe a new mag to cater for the more demanding modeller ?

Model Railway Journal?

4x2

Quote from: Elvinley on September 15, 2011, 09:14:05 PM
Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 15, 2011, 08:28:11 PM

Model Railway Journal?
Ah... Forgot about them...! :-[
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

I think its all pretty funny, so long as people enjoy what they are doing thats what really counts, as a modeller I find every day life stressful enough so I am damn sure I am not going to stress if the springs on my GP7s are to short ;D ;D ;D

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

4x2

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 15, 2011, 10:16:26 PM
I think its all pretty funny, so long as people enjoy what they are doing thats what really counts, as a modeller I find every day life stressful enough so I am damn sure I am not going to stress if the springs on my GP7s are to short ;D ;D ;D

I've got a GP7, what springs.....???  (only joking ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:)

Mike

longbridge

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 15, 2011, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: oldrailbug on September 15, 2011, 10:16:26 PM

I've got a GP7, what springs.....???  (only joking ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:)

Thats why I think its all funny because I wouldn't have a clue if they are to short or to long :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations