Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

So tough for those going through the ruin and distress of losing their homes and businesses. That includes farmers with stock and equipment stranded or lost.

The Severn and the Teme are quite high here. Before moving, we made a special point of being a decent distance away from the rivers and on top of that, checked out for the flood risks

A decent legal representative should be looking and asking about such things for you if you're in the process of buying a house but as said, always do your own checks as well. There's loads of info available online.

Dave G

A.Carter (BiG-T)

As Mike say's I always wonder what sort of case was put together to allow building on flood plains, the other issue is and has happened around the area I live when the flood plains are built on and as has been done locally flood defenses have been constructed (large earth bunds / embankments), the flood water that used to disperse over the plains has to now go elsewhere. This then potentially put's properties that previously were 'safe' into now possible flood risk areas. A further knock on effect as has happened to friends of ours who got caught in this situation is they can no longer get insurance for flood damage, where the builders and developers have gone and are sitting on nice profits they should be made liable for any problems they have caused by the building permissions they submit & are subsequently granted.

Tony

daveg

There is huge pressure on local government to get houses built and against that is the not unexpected resistance of many folk who don't want a 'housing estate' tacked on to their peaceful village or local green belt.

I can understand the frustration and anger as mentioned earlier, where a flooding problem may be moved up or downstream to accommodate the developer's ambitions.

Surely though, if permission is given to build on any land, the developer has a duty to ensure that the structure is fit for purpose; that a house is safe to live in? At the same time and equally as surely, those giving the permission to build should ensure that it is indeed 'safe' to build there?

Dave G

colpatben

Quote from: Lawrence on December 27, 2015, 10:47:29 AM
Christmas day I drank lots of wine, didn't go near the sink or anything sharp  ::)
Lawrence

Sinks and sharp knives do not mix.

Not so long ago whilst preparing to wash up (well at least rinsing the stuff for loading into dish washer). The waste disposal unit (yes we do have them in the UK but they are hated by the water companies) was grinding away; I normally have to rescue a few items that march across the draining board preparing to commit Hari Kari by leaping into the jaws of the macerator! However I failed to spot the steel handled paring knife heading for imminent destruction.

Yes in it went handle first but instead of jamming in the 'machine' said machine thought 's** this' and promptly spat it back out point first.

Now having in the past been quite adept at catching fast moving low flying objects i.e. small winged insects, my natural and foolish reaction was to grab for said low flying knife. The resultant injury is now yet another domestic accident statistic in the archives of the NHS.

Here is a pic of the damage to the knife Handle.

I will spare Bealman et al from the pic of the injury. The waste disposal unit survived if a little bit noisier than in the past.

BTW Star Wars special effects are great especially in 3D.

My good lady now want a BB8 for her birthday. Mind you she wanted a Meccano Meccanoid for Christmas (Girls and their toys)!
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

MikeDunn

Quote from: colpatben on December 29, 2015, 05:45:00 AM
My good lady now want a BB8 for her birthday. Mind you she wanted a Meccano Meccanoid for Christmas (Girls and their toys)!
Sounds like she'd get on well with mine !!!

paulprice

Sounds like your nearly as accident prone as me

Malc

Everyone involved in electronics has at some stage caught hold of a falling soldering iron, whilst it was switched on. It's a right of passage.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Caz

Quote from: Only Me on December 29, 2015, 11:22:36 AM
Been there, done that, also burnt the carpet ! :D

Ditto here, burnt my hand trying to catch it, dropped and then to save the carpet I put my foot out and ended up burning my toes as well.   :'( :-[
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Quote from: Caz on December 29, 2015, 04:15:52 PM
Quote from: Only Me on December 29, 2015, 11:22:36 AM
Been there, done that, also burnt the carpet ! :D

Ditto here, burnt my hand trying to catch it, dropped and then to save the carpet I put my foot out and ended up burning my toes as well.   :'( :-[

Nice one, Caz. If you're going to do something, do it properly!  :D

Dave G

Tdm

Whilst on the subject of occasionally having "senior" moments and doing stupid & silly things, nothing to do with my model railway, but a few years ago I once caused a multiple accident in our communal car park involving hitting a parked BMW and a new Astra.

The inhibitor switch on my Classic Car (which on an automatic car stops you starting in gear) broke, and I temporarily by-passed the wiring so I could still start the car.

A couple of weeks later I went to start the car one morning, but had forgotten to leave it in "Park" the previous day. I switched on and the car shot forward at some speed hitting the two cars mentioned that were parked directly opposite.

Did a considerable amount of damage to the BMW, less to the Astra, and my car suffered only a broken indicator light. I let the Insurance company sought that one out, and straight away removed the "bypass" wiring I had installed and ordered a new Inhibitor switch from the U.K.

Rather embarassing having to explain to the cars owners what had happened, but examining the damage caused to each vehicle just went to show how strong and solid old cars are compared to their modern day counterparts.

Fortunately not had any more accidents in the several years since, and back to paying the normal (unloaded) Insurance premium now.

javlinfaw7

Modern cars are designed to deform thus using up the energy involved in a crash ,classics ,much as I love them , do not deform thus pass the shock on to the passengers

jonclox

::) Please cancel  yesterday.  :'( :'(
From the time a phone call woke us up in the morning till we went to sleep at night everything seemed to be against us.
In fact don't cancel it .................... obliterate it from existence
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Malc

Sounds like it was not a happy Xmas, Jon. Hope 2016 is better for you.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

jonclox

Quote from: Malc on December 31, 2015, 12:38:15 PM
Sounds like it was not a happy Xmas, Jon. Hope 2016 is better for you.
Christmas itself was quite good but it was just yesterday that saw every move  go wrong
roll on next week and normality  :-\ I say
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

jonclox

:worried: Ive felt sorry over the Xmas holiday for all those 'Upt Norf' whose season has been ruined by heavy rain and floods.
We've watched to road past us flood and become impassable quite a few times in the past 41 years but its never risen above the start of our garden. Several in the village have been flooded (small time) over the years but never seriously like those to our northern counties.
Today I' sat here watching the idiots on the road roar past sending spray well above vehicles and causing chaos for those walking on the now sunken pavements.
>:D I hope the cars get waterlogged and breakdown.
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP