Australian Wild Fires

Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

BBC news this morning reported your temperatures are currently twice the expected norm for this time of year down there. It must be nightmarish for all involved. To answer @Bob Tidbury I guess other countries will only get involved by invitation as they can't just rock up and say 'Here we are'.
As folks on the spot have said (and I don't want to get political knowing nothing of the situation) the lack of/poor response from the government comes across poorly internationally.

exmouthcraig

Absolutely shocking attitude to their own people. That clearly useless clown was rightly heckled for his          pi :censored: poor response. 4months of continued burning and destruction.

Best thing would be tying him to the stake at the next town threatened by the fire.

That's probably as political as I'm allowed but seriously 3000 reserve troops is not nearly enough of a response to the situation.

Canada have a few planes capable of helping out as do a few other countries so instead of trying to front it out admit its beyond your control and ask the world to help out

RailGooner

NinOz

3000 troops to be sent to the fray.
I hope this doesn't backfire with so many untrained and unskilled persons trying to battle the fires. :worried:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Lawrence

Quote from: NinOz on January 05, 2020, 03:15:03 AM
I hope this doesn't backfire with so many untrained and unskilled persons trying to battle the fires. :worried:

Should send all of your politicians in too. I do realise that you are suffering from extremes of weather which have not helped but relying on volunteers and military is a poor show really, spend some cash and hire in international professional firefighting equipment.
We had friends who lived in Baulkham Hills, sadly they are no longer with us (not the fire) but I can just imagine what Merv would have been saying about all of this, not repeatable on a family forum!

Bealman

Craig's reply above is a good idea, if you get my drift  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Quote from: NinOz on January 05, 2020, 03:15:03 AM

Strangely enough there was a letter in the local paper from a long time property owner who has put out fires on his property many times, and even has his own water truck.

He turned up with his truck volunteering to help, but was knocked back because he wasn't qualified!!!

Bealman

Temperature dropped big time today in Bealman's town. Plus cool wind. From 45 to 20, so it almost felt like winter!

Plus, we had rain!

However, I'm just describing conditions at Chez Bealman.

Things are quite different elsewhere.

Bealman

It's really trying to rain at Bealman's bus stop but not quite making it

1936ace

Platform is wet as our Xpt arrived at Wyong in the central coast

Izzy

Talking to my Son yesterday, who lives in NW Sydney, Castle Hill, he says the smoke seems to have eased/stopped since Xmas, as if the worst of the fires are now on the SW coastal belt. Having a Sydney and inter-state food distribution Co he gets a good overall view of the situation.

When we were last in Aus, Dec/Jan 17/18 it was up to 40 before Xmas and 47 after, so this situation has sadly been on the cards for a while. But politicians........

I have always said you survive in spite of them, rather than because of them.....

Izzy

Bealman

This time of year is traditionally very hot here.

A very unfortunate set of events have occurred which have resulted in this horrible situation.

It'll work out.  :thumbsup:

MarkJ

I cannot even imagine how devastating this if for all of those involved and their family and friends. I sincerely hope things improve for you folks.

Mark
Old newbie that needs a hobby.

joe cassidy

Countries like France, Spain and Portugal must surely have Canadairs available sitting around doing nothing until next summer ?

Bob Tidbury

I expect lots of help will suddenly turn up once the worst is over .
As I said when I started this thread `I hope none of our members or their families have been affected by this and at least material things can be replaced ,BUT it's all the wildlife that will take years to build up that's the worrying thing .
There are some horendous figures that have been announced on the news lately
I really think this has been a real disaster.
Bob   Tidbury

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations