Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: gc4946 on October 12, 2022, 05:29:39 PM
Quote from: njee20 on October 12, 2022, 05:21:29 PM
But that's the old tooling, no working lights, generic body not suitable for half the variants they offer, woeful decoration. That doesn't appear to be the case with the TT one.

you're quite right, I suspect they looked afresh at the 66s, including designing it with a central motor and flywheels and tooling up of body variants to reflect the real locos.

So back to my original point, the 40% price disparity is odd!

Unrelated to that, anyone have any idea what the curve radii are?

Ian Morton

Quote from: njee20 on October 12, 2022, 06:27:21 PM
Unrelated to that, anyone have any idea what the curve radii are?

R1 267mm (10.5"),
R2 310mm (12.2"),
R3 353mm (13.9")
and R4 396mm (15.6").

ntpntpntp

Must admit I do want the 9F when it comes out :)  Plus some smaller steam locos more suitable to a branch-line shelf layout or similar.  Will make a change from the German N empire.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

woodbury22uk

But that's the old tooling, no working lights, generic body not suitable for half the variants they offer, woeful decoration. That doesn't appear to be the case with the TT one.

you're quite right, I suspect they looked afresh at the 66s, including designing it with a central motor and flywheels and tooling up of body variants to reflect the real locos.

And the cynic would observe that Gaugemaster have asked for expressions of interest in a new TT Class 66, so maybe Hornby want to see that idea off.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

gc4946

It'll be interesting to see how Hornby will tackle multiple units.
In OO, they either use a power bogie or in the case of the 800, a central motor.

They could design a chassis with a low-slung motor so that an interior can be modelled.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

ntpntpntp

Quote from: silly moo on October 12, 2022, 05:41:51 PM
It will be very interesting to see whether other manufacturers will do TT accessories, will Metcalfe do buildings? will others do figures and line side items? 

Gaugemaster have announced they will be doing (or at least reselling) figures, tunnels, the Viessmann catenary and other bits and pieces.  I expect a lot of these are probably sourced from existing Continental TT accessory manufacturers.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/712/
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Buffin

Quote from: Michael Shillabeer on October 12, 2022, 04:52:56 PM
Target market is people new to the hobby so advertising in newspapers is planned
Aiming to get whole family involved in model railways
Simon recognises that £200+ for a loco is too expensive for many
Exactly. It will be a simple point of entry, not too much choice. They won't have to differentiate themselves from other providers. People are used to buying online, and selling direct provides potential for bigger profits.

But Hornby are unlucky with their timing, launching just as people are pulling their horns in in a bracing economic climate.

njee20

Quote from: woodbury22uk on October 12, 2022, 08:38:16 PM

And the cynic would observe that Gaugemaster have asked for expressions of interest in a new TT Class 66, so maybe Hornby want to see that idea off.

Ahhhh, yes, good shout. I'm not sure that's particularly cynical!

Brian-1c

Brian

Bob G

TT:FN

I like that.

Hornby, bored with just bullying the OO fraternity, now turn on the TT ones. Think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bob G on October 13, 2022, 11:00:21 AM
Hornby, bored with just bullying the OO fraternity, now turn on the TT ones. Think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Are they "bullying" though? Who knows how long the models have been in development by Hornby - probably before Heljan announced theirs.

Bob G

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 13, 2022, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: Bob G on October 13, 2022, 11:00:21 AM

Are they "bullying" though? Who knows how long the models have been in development by Hornby - probably before Heljan announced theirs.

Well, the Hornby Class 31 is not due for release until Phase 4, whenever that might be. Certainly after the 37 and 47, and Castle in Phase 3, so probably at least 3 years time. No idea when Heljan was planning to release their 31, but it is clear that Hornby has staked out a "this is ours" policy by showing their long-term plans (which also help people commit to the scale, I might add, if they can visualise their layout development).

If Hornby stop others making models in TT120, that really would be an own goal for the scale.

Bob 

Thorpe Parva

Quote from: Brian-1c on October 13, 2022, 10:57:11 AM
Now Heljan have pulled out of TT120 :

https://www.heljan.co.uk/post/heljan-tt-120-update

Maybe they'll look at N Gauge instead. Shrinking their OO Garratt & O2 would be popular and eventually someone has to do the LMS Twins in N Gauge.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on October 13, 2022, 11:54:35 AM

Maybe [Heljan] will look at N Gauge instead. Shrinking their OO Garratt & O2 would be popular ..

Would the Garratt be popular though?  Hatton's proposed version didn't seem to build up enough interest to go ahead.

maridunian

It's interesting that Hornby kept their plans secret until such a late stage, surely well after their point of no return. If they'd stated their intentions sooner,  niche producers could have could have focussed on filling gaps. Heljan (& Gaugemaster with their Class 66?) have been wrong footed by seeing 1:120 as a greenfield site. Also interesting that Hornby aren't offering a 7-plank, 9ft WB mineral wagon, but Peco are ...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations