Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I came to N some 15 ago so that I could run Swallow 8+2 HST's with a reasonable run, which N gave me the space for. When it comes to making building my eyes and hands are beginning to rebel a little, even with various aids.

So I have to say I'm seriously tempted to make a Beginners Layout, something like https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7286 that @PostModN66 drew up back in 2013!

I can envisage a Class 31 or a Panier 57 (both phase 3&4) with a couple of coaches. A few vans when they became available could be used for the factory. That could keep me amused :D.

I'll likely sign up for the TT Club sometime in December so that I'll catch the Phase 3&4 stuff at 15% discount. like others have said, it would be rude not too as it's free with 15% discount for club members  ;D

I'd still keep my N as my main layout though, I haven't got the space to run full length HSTs in TT1:120  ;D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

zwilnik

Quote from: Jack on October 11, 2022, 03:51:03 PM

I'll likely sign up for the TT Club sometime in December so that I'll catch the Phase 3&4 stuff at 15% discount. like others have said, it would be rude not too as it's free with 15% discount for club members  ;D

would be rude for Hornby to not offer at least a 15% discount to club members as that's the standard discount retailers would give over Hornby's online RRP anyway.

jamespetts

This is an interesting announcement. It is not realistic to be able to make high confidence predictions at this stage as to the remote consequences of this (e.g., on the popularity of N gauge or the hobby generally).

It is clearly a co-ordinated effort among a number of major manufacturers (most notably Peco and Hornby, the latter of which seems to have invested the most heavily). The intended appeal of TT 1:120 is that it takes less space than 00 but gives less trouble to older people who may have eyesight and/or co-ordination difficulties with N.

It is not something that affects what I do at this stage: I hope that I have enough years left of good eyesight and co-ordination to enjoy the N gauge layouts that I am currently building and planning. There is still a greater range of rolling stock available in N and I can still fit more in to the space in N than TT. At present, the only advantage for me of 00 over TT is the greater range of rolling stock (particularly in the pre-1948 era), which is why I am planning an 00 gauge layout set in 1936 (an N gauge layout of a main line location in that era being largely impractical for anyone keen on a high degree of realism of rolling stock variety).

I can see, however, that in 20-30 years' time, my view might change if (1) my eyesight and co-ordination deteriorate to make N gauge more difficult; and (2) a much wider range of TT should become available. TT may also be more workable for kit building, which is extremely difficult in N at present for powered items, but is much more straightforward in 1:76. If it does prove to be equally practical to build kits of things like steam locomotives and carriages in TT as in 00/EM/P4 and a good range of these are offered, this may make a substantial difference to the practicalities for modelling earlier eras. But that would be likely to be a long way in the future yet.
Peertube > Youtube

Hiawatha

Do the A3 and A4 reuse the same bodies from the Corgi Rail Legends range – just with an added motor? Or are these completely new? I always thought that 1:120 was a bad choice for the Corgi locomotives but maybe they were the starting point for Hornby's TT adventure.
Peter

Bob G

Quote from: Hiawatha on October 11, 2022, 05:12:11 PM
Do the A3 and A4 reuse the same bodies from the Corgi Rail Legends range – just with an added motor? Or are these completely new? I always thought that 1:120 was a bad choice for the Corgi locomotives but maybe they were the starting point for Hornby's TT adventure.
That is an amazing coincidence, but I've had a look and though there are some slight differences between the A3 and A4 models, I would not be surprised if they shared similar CADs for the main body shapes.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 11, 2022, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on October 11, 2022, 02:08:38 PM
I have joined the Club and ordered the A4 set.

When/how did it apply the 15% off?  At the checkout stage?   I'm still deciding which set to go for.

To answer my own question: £29.17 Taken off The Easterner set at the checkout stage.   Looking forward to a nice Xmas prezzie for myself :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

gc4946

If Hornby uses the Corgi Rail Legends as a basis for working TT scale models, there would be LNER A3, A4, and Peppercorn A1, GWR Castle and a Britannia
https://www.warkswings.com/corgi-rail-legends-79-c.asp

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

ntpntpntp

Quote from: gc4946 on October 11, 2022, 10:12:43 PM
If Hornby uses the Corgi Rail Legends as a basis for working TT scale models, there would be LNER A3, A4, and Peppercorn A1, GWR Castle and a Britannia

Well there is a Castle and a 9F in the catalogue for the future :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I mean... i need more models like I need a hole in the head, but a 2+8 swallow HST and some HAAs is pretty tempting. Joined the club, just keeping my options open!  ;D

If they did a coal sector 56 or a 60 then I'd be signing up right away!

ODRAILS

In my opinion Hornby has made a "brave decision" (those who remember the "Yes Minister" TV series will know what I mean) with the new TT-120 range but I wish them well.  I believe it will take quite a long time for the other manufacturers (Dapol and possibly Farish ) to get interested, if at all – Dapol has decided that  00 and 0 gauge developments are more profitable so the TT120 thing, if successful, is only likely slow down any developments in British N.
Remember it's 11 years since Dapol announced the Bulleid Pacifics, original and rebuilt, in N gauge.

Adam1701D

I must admit to being a little sceptical about this. Hornby have obviously thrown a lot of resources into this but making the range online-only could limit the take-up.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

martyn

A perverse train (!) of thoughts may mean that the entry into TT may show just how strong and well represented N gauge (and even more so, OO) is.

If Hornby wanted to expand significantly into N, what would they produce (no wish lists, please)? In N, most diesel classes are available, and the principal steam classes also. The main omissions are electric locos and both DMU and EMUs, and steam tank engines. Rolling stock is also fairly well catered for, the main problem for us N gaugers being the batch production which means significant time gaps between re-releases of models already produced.

So where would Hornby go? In order to increase their sales, I think it is a bold decision to enter a totally new market, but like others, I just hope it is not at the expense of further developments in N gauge by the established manufacturers.

Martyn

Steven B

A brave move by Hornby! I find it amazing that they see more sales & profit in TT120 than N Gauge or 009. It's almost as if 9mm gauge track doesn't exist in Margate!

There's a full catalogue on the Hornby website. It looks like they've mounted the couplings on the bogies on the Staniers, Mk1 and Mk3, but have a close coupling mechanism on the Mk2s.

It'll be interesting to see if Bachmann and Dapol follow the crowd.

Steven B

Calnefoxile

This is certainly an interesting announcement from Hornby and, as an East German TT Modeller, one that I'll be watching closely, and yes I've joined the TT:120 Club.

The talk of Scale & Gauge is an interesting one and without wanting to drag up the age-old discussion around it, lets look at it, British N, OO and British TT (TT3 or 3mm/ft) are all compromise scales/gauges for reason we all know about. TT:120 is pretty much bang on for scale & gauge and firmly sits between N Gauge 1:160 & HO. This will also make it compatible with Continental TT which means that Modellers should be able to use Continental wagons on a British layout without it looking out of place, unlike now with Continental N & HO.

Will I be jumping in?? Possibly but not with both feet, may be just dip a toe in. I did get a bit excited when Heljan announced the 31, but without anything for it to pull it tempered my excitement a bit, but now my interest has been reignited.

As far as the discussion about Hornby not doing N, they were never going to come to the sunny side of the street because there are already to many players in the N Gauge and they'd have to play catch-up very quickly and what would be their flagship N Gauge Model out of their current range that isn't already manufactured by Bachmann or Dapol??

My biggest issue with this announcement is the direct selling aspect and not using traditional Model Shops, this is potentially another nail in the coffin of bricks & mortar traders.

Finally (Thanks god I hear you all cry  ;) ;) ) this TT announcement is not really aimed at the likes of us, current modellers in whatever scale we model in, but at those who are just starting in the hobby. Simon Kohler did say that Hornby were going to hit the marketing quite hard with TV ads, Newspaper Ads and Online marketing all pointing Joe Public to the Hornby Website to buy their stuff.

I've finished now so you can get back to some modelling  :P :P

Regards

Neal.

Steven B

Quote from: martyn on October 12, 2022, 09:13:53 AM
If Hornby wanted to expand significantly into N, what would they produce (no wish lists, please)? In N, most diesel classes are available, and the principal steam classes also. The main omissions are electric locos and both DMU and EMUs, and steam tank engines. Rolling stock is also fairly well catered for, the main problem for us N gaugers being the batch production which means significant time gaps between re-releases of models already produced.

There are plenty of steam locos they could have a go at. P2, W1, N7,T9, Lord Nelson and Princess Royal sit in their OO Gauge range with no N Gauge equivalent.

For diesels, I'd guess that the market could handle another manufacturer making a class 37 and 47. There are several sub-classes like the 25/3 that have yet to be done. Whilst Rapido have announced the class 44, there's no guarantee we'll get the 45 or 46 from them. Then there's the odd-balls like classes 15 and 16 and the LMS Twins!

For coaching stock there are plenty of pre-nationalisation vehicles to work though - there's a lack of suburban stock for example (like the Hornby Gresley 51'ers). There are Mk2b,c,d & e to have a go at. The Mk4s would follow nicely from the research done for their new OO Gauge range.

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations