Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Availability might swing it a bit.

If I were just starting modelling and wanted something, and it's available to purchase, I might just go for a restricted range but able to buy, rather than wait a couple of years for something promised but yet to appear.

But no, I won't be going to change from N, far too much time and money invested already. Thirty years ago might have been a different story.

Martyn

gc4946

One thing Hornby's dip into TT could do because of its constant 1:120 scale is modelling Channel Tunnel traffic.
No need to worry about 1:148 or 1:160 scales for wagons although the differences are small.

Needless to say they had to introduce sufficient models including covering the steam era, in order to appeal to as many people as possible.
I would have gone for class 92s and wagons suitable for Channel Tunnel use and shrunk their class 395 Javelins.

EDIT: A shrunken-down class 71 would have been useful for Dover train ferry trains and a B1 for the same to/from Harwich - don't know how large is the range in 1:120 scale of Continental European wagons compatible with cross-Channel traffic exists
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

joe cassidy

Quote from: gc4946 on October 10, 2022, 09:52:04 PM
One thing Hornby's dip into TT could do because of its constant 1:120 scale is modelling Channel Tunnel traffic.

Hornby's announcement is more than just "dipping" into TT.

However, for me there will be an element of doubt about this venture until they actually have stock on the shelves.

Will they wait until they have enough pre-orders before starting production ?

Belly

I've read the announcement and comments with interest and, it's fair to say, that 30 years ago I probably would have off loaded what I had and jumped to TT.  I would have done so because 30 years ago the fidelity of detail, range and running ability of N gauge were, at times, questionable and I thought a slightly larger scale would compensate for those shortcomings.  Thinking back that far, you would not have believed that we would now have sound fitted locomotives in N gauge and the detail would be to the level it is today.

In that regard, there's been huge improvements and so I see this as more of a standalone scale which Hornby are promoting.  It will probably get converts from both OO and N but, given my investment, I'll not be moving as I've too much tied up and I'd be back to waiting for certain locomotives or rolling stock to arrive.  Frankly, I don't want to get on the waiting game merry-go-round again.

Cheers,

Geoff     

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

LASteve

If the energy level and content delivery of the bloke from Hornby I saw interviewed today, and if that's reflective of their marketing and manufacturing groups, I don't think there's a lot to worry about.

Bob G

Quote from: LASteve on October 11, 2022, 04:21:25 AM
If the energy level and content delivery of the bloke from Hornby I saw interviewed today, and if that's reflective of their marketing and manufacturing groups, I don't think there's a lot to worry about.
He was quite engaged with it then?  :no:

Michael Shillabeer

I wonder if the development of the new TT:120 be shown in the second series of "Hornby:A Model World" on UKTV?
https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/yesterday-hornby-model-world/

trkilliman

Quote from: Paddy on October 10, 2022, 08:24:30 PM
Very interesting development and I cannot wait to see the models in real life. As I get older, the eyesight is not what it was so TT appeals. Very large range although spread over many eras.

I wish Hornby every success with their new venture.

Kind regards

Paddy

I have been rooted in N gauge for around 45 years now. Thankfully my eyesight is pretty good for my age, but some younger than myself can find they start to struggle with N gauge.
I'm sure many of us N gaugers view OO as HUGE having worked in such a small scale.

I foresee TT becoming popular, with some sight challenged N gauge people migrating to it. Also new modellers who don't fancy N, but can get a bit more TT into a given space than OO.

Hornby and Peco will undoubtedly have done a fair bit of market research before investing in TT. I have a feeling the range could grow quite quickly.

My permanent N layout is in a 3m x 2.4 insulated shed. If I were to build a smallish portable terminus layout, I would strongly consider TT.

ntpntpntp

Some photos of the pre-production samples etc. here.    Looks like basic loco drive from a single central worm and gear (I only see one gear cover on the bottom plate of the pacifics), so relying on the coupling rods to transmit power to the other driving wheels.     

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/hornby-tt-model-prototypes-examined

I signed up to the club as it's free :)  I expect I'll end up getting an A4 set as we seem to have a bit of everything in our house  :D  If I do build a TT layout I'll go for Peco track and Unifrog points rather than the Hornby sectional track and insulfrogs.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paul J

I like TT as a scale (thinking of 1:101 here).

It will be interesting to see what UK loading gauge TT120 will look like.

I can't imagine the retailers will be happy about them being direct order only.

I do my UK outline modelling in OO gauge. I would be tempted, but Hornby have fallen for their usual "big engine" policy. Much as I like my Princess Coronations and Hoovers, I think a Black 5 and a Duff/Tractor might have been better choices. Unless another manufacturer is keeping something under wraps? So limited scope for a small layout side-project. If I was starting afresh, I would seriously consider it though.

Roy L S

I have joined the Club and ordered the A4 set. At that price rude not to. Zero chance of me changing scale but A4s are a fave of mine. My issue really is that the variation in scale to British N is pretty insignificant, N 1:148 v TT120 erm 1:120 so we are talking the TT being 1/5 bigger, so a 10cm loco in N becomes 12.5 cm in TT if I have my maths right.

Roy

Jim Easterbrook

My arithmetic says the linear dimensions scale by 1.233. Remember that what the eye sees is volume (evolutionary adaptation to guess the weight of an object before picking it up) and the volume scales by 1.876, so a TT:120 model might look nearly twice as big as an N:148 one.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Roy L S on October 11, 2022, 02:08:38 PM
I have joined the Club and ordered the A4 set.

When/how did it apply the 15% off?  At the checkout stage?   I'm still deciding which set to go for.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Roy L S

It s
Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 11, 2022, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on October 11, 2022, 02:08:38 PM
I have joined the Club and ordered the A4 set.

When/how did it apply the 15% off?  At the checkout stage?   I'm still deciding which set to go for.

I am not sure to be honest. I think it should have been deducted at checkout but mine hasn't - I am querying with Customer Services.

Regards

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.23
Below Goal: £39.77
Site Currency: GBP
60% 
April Donations