Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I've never looked at whether other Hornby models have that caveat I'll confess, I'm assuming they do, with the exception of things like Thomas the Tank Engine, and it's definitely obvious that TT stuff is not going for the low detail, robust approach, so I agree, there's no real concession to 'toy' use.

Bealman

Quote from: Roy L S on February 28, 2024, 11:59:52 PM
Quote from: njee20 on February 28, 2024, 09:47:34 PMThe "not for children under 14" thing is to do with the European Toy Safety Directive, which I belive has things like design, QC and tax implications - if it's specifically not for children under 14 it's not classified as a toy.

My now seven year old son plays with my N gauge, and has a growing collection of his own. He's played with it since he was 3, and has broken significantly fewer items than me in that time!

No argument from me on that score, I know plenty of other examples including my own daughter who were equally careful when under 14 (she is now 31) but the point remains that if Hornby are including those words and that caveat they are not targeting the toy market with these products.

Regards

Roy

I saw this earlier, and was about to post who cares? Then thought better of it.

But now I'll post it

Who cares?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

I have no interest in TT120 either, George, but if Hornby were to go bust on the back of it that news could have wide ranging ramifications in the model world.
Remember - if you bury your head in the sand, 4 of your 5 senses stop working ;)

Roy L S

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 29, 2024, 09:59:53 AMI have no interest in TT120 either, George, but if Hornby were to go bust on the back of it that news could have wide ranging ramifications in the model world.
Remember - if you bury your head in the sand, 4 of your 5 senses stop working ;)

I don't think TT120 will bring Hornby down, I feel sure internal company "controls" would prevent a disproportionate amount of money being put into a single project, and I get the feeling that this constraint may have to some degree frustrated Simon Kohler who seemed to be talking about things moving much faster. This is where Sam's comments are particularly naive in expecting a massive range launch in Year 1 as it was never going to happen in terms of production capacity, capital investment and maintaining "Business as Usual" amongst other product lines. In fact Hornby have been pretty canny by selecting the Gresley Pacifics as the same chassis can be used under original A1, A3 and A4 with only a few detail differences.

I don't think Frasers would be looking to purchase a larger stake without confidence of a return to profitabilty, be that by means of a refocus on the "train set" market or in other ways.

Regards

Roy

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 29, 2024, 09:59:53 AMI have no interest in TT120 either, George, but if Hornby were to go bust on the back of it that news could have wide ranging ramifications in the model world.

That's as maybe...

...but it won't stop a lot of 'em speaking!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77