In the hot weather . . .

Started by devonjames, July 11, 2022, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

I thought the rule to cool down was hot drinks in hot dry heat conditions, cool drinks in hot humid conditions. I can't tell whether it's humid here so I've already had a coffee and just waiting for ice cold cider o'clock  :D

Cheers, weave  :beers:

PS Will be drinking water as well before any lectures start  ;)

Webbo

Here in Canberra (Australia) summertime temperatures are frequently over 30, sometimes over 35, and occasionally over 40, but the discomfort with these temperatures really only occurs big time when a high humidity comes along with them. Luckily, we usually have a dry heat which is okay. In the UK surrounded by sea, I expect that your humidity would be fairly high which would make for uncomfortable conditions especially through the night.

I sympathise, I really do! One can keep the cold out, but not the heat without aircon.

Webbo

port perran

I'm sat in a cafe in Truro with a nice hot cup of coffee (and a rather nice piece of cake).
Pleasantly warm in the sun but then I love this weather.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

crewearpley40

Enjoyment sitting over coffee. I work on the railways. Been shunting coaches whilst cooler. A decision was made to start and just out if hi vis wear. Enjoying the shade and cold water

weave

Quote from: port perran on July 18, 2022, 10:09:15 AM
I'm sat in a cafe in Truro with a nice hot cup of coffee (and a rather nice piece of cake).
Pleasantly warm in the sun but then I love this weather.

I thought you were supposed to stodge up with food on the morning of a beer festival, not five days before  :D

port perran

Our two tortoises are loving the weather.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Just been out to put some stuff in the recycling bin and, by heck, it's like an oven out there!! 8)

dannyboy

The temperatures, certainly in my part of Ireland, are not as bad as they appear to be in England. This morning, once the fog, (yes, thick fog when I got up), had cleared and the sun started shining, I followed the advice and shut all the doors. The temperature in the house has been quite pleasant. I have just checked the temperature in the dining room and it is showing 23.1°C. Immediately outside the dining room - in the shade - the temperature is showing 29°C and there is a slight westerly breeze, so keeping outside doors closed does make quite a difference. I hope everybody and their dog, (and cat), is doing okay in the heat.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

The Q

09:00 and 28C on Norwich airport this morning,
26C out at Hickling sailing club, not far from my house.
23.09C here in the Lab.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Dealing with the heat, IMO:

1 Keep your house sealed up during the day and open it up once the sun goes down

2 Walk on the shady side of the street and slow your speed of doing things

3 Enjoy the warmth as it will be cold soon enough

Webbo

Bealman

:laughabovepost:

True!

Aussies give advice  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

36°C in Paris right now, and climbing.

As I'm home alone today I'm chilling out in my underwear (with the curtains pulled).

The postman certainly didn't hang around when I opened the door to him to take delivery of my parcel from Hattons*  :)

*11 x Peco 9' steel chassis kits + 1 x RTR Butterley mineral wagon

Tank

Currently 34 degrees here in Kenley.  I work in a secured building with bullet proof glass and airlocks.  There are no windows to open, but we have air conditioning throughout, and ventilation.  I can't complain!  My poor wife and kids are at home suffering though.

I hope everyone else is managing to cope OK?

OffshoreAlan

Quote from: dannyboy on July 18, 2022, 09:51:09 AM
..... like a lot of 'old wives tales', there is an element of truth there.

Of course there is - how do you think they survived to become old  :).

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations