Layout in my Garage

Started by callteg4, January 19, 2012, 01:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamerdave

I have my layout in a partialy insulated shed, I was using it to keep tropical fish tanks out there which were ok over the winter and the fish survived but the in the finish the amount of tanks I was running needed to much of my spare time so I scaled down to the three I keep indoors and now hide out there with my layout, portable tv and the spare kettle. Home from home with no interuptions, absolute bliss and no problems with damp or mice, just the occasional spider but they don,t hang around to long. All this with a large padlock on the door to keep out the undesirables, just need more time now.

cudders

Quote from: callteg4 on January 19, 2012, 09:20:08 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on January 19, 2012, 08:34:08 PM
You may want to try what a friend of mine has done.  Half way along the garage he built a partition stud wall, insulated and plaster boarded it and got a chippy to hang a door for him,  He then insulated the brick walls with 50mm insulation and put 12mm ply sheet over them.  Bit of underlay and carpet on the floor, 2 x 4 way downlighters and a couple of sockets and he is as happy (and cosy) as the proverbial pig.  And he still has the other half of the garage free for storing tools, gardening stuff etc etc

Sounds expensive but a good idea

This is what I'm half way through and not really that expensive. I've spend about £250 on wood and OSB board. One stud wall across with a salvaged door. Walls and roof lined with OSB. Already had power so just had to extend for sockets and strip lights. I'm also putting a floor in using loft boards. All in all cheaper and already warmer than a flimsy shed.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Lawrence

You may want to try what a friend of mine has done.  Half way along the garage he built a partition stud wall, insulated and plaster boarded it and got a chippy to hang a door for him,  He then insulated the brick walls with 50mm insulation and put 12mm ply sheet over them.  Bit of underlay and carpet on the floor, 2 x 4 way downlighters and a couple of sockets and he is as happy (and cosy) as the proverbial pig.  And he still has the other half of the garage free for storing tools, gardening stuff etc etc

Depends how much of it you are prepared to do yourself, and it gives you a great space isolated from the rest of the world, get a nice chair in there, radio, beer fridge (or kettle) and it's happy days.  Consider it an investment in your well being and the missus will love it because she wont see any of your "junk" or "mess" so she'll be happy too  ;D

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on January 19, 2012, 03:34:07 PM
I don't get mice but the place is overrun with spiders and the like, and I think they would be running the trains more often than I would >:(

Quite a good name for a railway - "Arachnidrail" - has that Scottish feel to it  :evil:

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on January 20, 2012, 10:56:07 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 19, 2012, 03:34:07 PM
I don't get mice but the place is overrun with spiders and the like, and I think they would be running the trains more often than I would >:(

Quite a good name for a railway - "Arachnidrail" - has that Scottish feel to it  :evil:

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: Nice one, John, welcome back :wave:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lawrence on January 20, 2012, 09:28:22 AM

Darn you, Lawrence. First you stop my track laying with a suggestion about the rubber underlay, and now since you posted about the railway room in the garage I can't get the idea of a 'pod' in my garage out of my head. I have a concrete bonded panel garage but am now thinking of either getting someone to build me an insulated room at the back half, or even building a big shed in my garage and insulating/powering it. Whatever I have would need a waterproof roof as condensation is the biggest issue I have. At this rate, I'm not going to get anything done at all :'( I really think I'll have to bash on with my current layout while I investigate the garage possibilities/get a quote ???

Depends how much of it you are prepared to do yourself, and it gives you a great space isolated from the rest of the world, get a nice chair in there, radio, beer fridge (or kettle) and it's happy days.  Consider it an investment in your well being and the missus will love it because she wont see any of your "junk" or "mess" so she'll be happy too  ;D

davieb

hi all  :wave:

Newport if you are thinking of getting a quote for building a shed and fancy a nice concrete base then be aware
a friend of mine is trying to build a "tropical fish house" to house his vast collection of fish

the shed isn't the problem it's the concrete base  :-\

as he isn't in the best of health he can't do it himself so has tried alot of concrete pouring companies and everyone comes back with the same reply

"sorry mate the job aint worth doing"

just a heads up just incase you fancied a nice concrete base  :-X

or if anyone knows of a company that deals with small concrete jobs in the N.W England area please P.M me with the details

dave  :thumbsup:

brbluewill

davie try a local brickie they will do it  :thumbsup: if i was closer i would do it :thumbsdown:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

davieb

thanks for the reply gwrwill  :thumbsup:

as far as i know my mate has gone through every "brickie,builder or other suitable trades person" within 50 miles of his home in bolton

and they either aint interested or come back with a rediculous quote

if i was fit enough i would go and give him a hand it's not a difficult job
and his so called "friends" that he has done jobs for in the past have vanished without trace  :thumbsdown:

will keep trying

Pete Mc

Have you thought about laying paving stones or flag stones or paving slabs as they are known round where I live.Laid on a hardcore base with a sand bed to level the slabs on is just as good as concrete.Just a bit more effort is required due to the weight of the slabs.

Only a suggestion mind,when I was a kid my dad always had a shed and made a base from paving slabs.The base never moved or anything and the shed remained totally plumb and upright,even with all the crap that was kept in it,including the wasps.nest from a couple of years ago.My parents split up 12 years ago so my dad moved out of the family home,he left the shed and its detritus and bought a new place.This has a shed in the back yard and using his tried and tested shed base of slabs,hardcore and sand,it has endured all sorts and is absolutely rock solid with a nice firm base.

Pete
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Newportnobby

Quote from: davieb on January 20, 2012, 10:20:14 PM
hi all  :wave:
Newport if you are thinking of getting a quote for building a shed and fancy a nice concrete base then be aware
a friend of mine is trying to build a "tropical fish house" to house his vast collection of fish
the shed isn't the problem it's the concrete base  :-\
as he isn't in the best of health he can't do it himself so has tried alot of concrete pouring companies and everyone comes back with the same reply
"sorry mate the job aint worth doing"
just a heads up just incase you fancied a nice concrete base  :-X
or if anyone knows of a company that deals with small concrete jobs in the N.W England area please P.M me with the details

Hi Dave - the base is not an issue as the (large) shed would be constructed inside my garage which already has a concrete flooring. I can see many advantages in this and no disadvantages, as it would also free up what is supposed to be a dining room in the bungalow ;D

Fratton

i hate to steer the topic more away from garages and more toward sheds but i have a 10x6 shed thats sits on a hefty wooden groundframe the groundframe has 8 spiked feet into the ground and a dampproof membrane protecting the underside of the frame and then again the underside of the shed,,,,  from what i remember these bases arent two expensive and can easily be done by one person let alone the advised two,

Charlie.

polo2k

HAHAH great pic!!!

what about 4 met posts then a 4x4 frame with a shed on it. kinda like decking
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Greybeema

Seriously considering a purpose built room in the garden myself, not sure what form it will take yet probably brick but need it to house modelling equipment books, TV, Playstation etc.  I am being fully encouraged by the missus with only two stipulations - 1) It looks fine from the house  2) There is a big comfy chair her her in there...

:Class414:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

polo2k

sounds like you need a MAN CAVE!
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40%