What should be the next 57 ft first gen DMU from Revolution?

Started by bluedepot, October 29, 2023, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Quote from: bluedepot on October 30, 2023, 01:47:18 PMyes i agree that basically the 101 and 108 are good models. maybe just a next 18 upgrade and speaker fitted would suffice.  just added it as an option in the poll though.

That would be for Farish to undertake. But this poll is for DMUs for Revolution to consider. And that would be a no-goer for them.

bluedepot

Portpatrick

I have been checking my many photo books of Scottish secondary lines.  This certainly strongly supports my top preference being a Crave 105 (2 car version for me).  I am not totally happy with my efforts with the BHE kit though it will do for now.    They clearly operated some of the ex GNoScR lines with some support from 101s (got 2 of those already).  I had the impression that the Class 100 was based on the Edinburgh suburban lines which is why it was my second choice.  I have found a photo of one at Ballater!  Perhaps a rarity.  But the Craven was more widely distributed.  WE had them on the Abbey Flyer line from Watford Jcn in the 80s. 

SD35

A 107 (or 108 with headcode box) to go with their nice Strathclyde 320s and upcoming 314s.  :thumbsup:

Shropshire Lad

Quote from: bluedepot on October 30, 2023, 01:47:18 PMyes i agree that basically the 101 and 108 are good models. maybe just a next 18 upgrade and speaker fitted would suffice.
They still have 6 pin dcc sockets but they do come with fitted speakers now.
Cheers Colin

Roy L S

Quote from: bluedepot on October 30, 2023, 01:47:18 PMyes i agree that basically the 101 and 108 are good models. maybe just a next 18 upgrade and speaker fitted would suffice.  just added it as an option in the poll though.

104 and 105/6 are winning currently - both would be great additions for n gauge.

derby lightweight in third. also a good choice.

btw - next week's poll will be on 4 wheel rail buses!

cheers

tim

I have already suggested 1st Gen 4-wheeled diesel railbuses to Revolution, their concerns were that they are (were) all small classes which tended to identify individually with specific lines so it would be a question of (1) which one to do as each manufacturer produced something uniquely identifiable and (2) would there be enough demand given limited geographical spread.

Looking at this from a manufacturer's perspective I can see their reservations, however I think that whichever type were chosen this would, with a decent spec including sound provision at a realistic price-point (not meaning cheap, just not outrageously expensive) be very much a "Rule 1" purchase for most so these issues would not limit sales. However it is all about commercial risk I guess and it wouldn't be me taking it!

Roy

Bob G

Quote from: Roy L S on October 31, 2023, 11:21:41 AMI have already suggested 1st Gen 4-wheeled diesel railbuses to Revolution, their concerns were that they are (were) all small classes which tended to identify individually with specific lines so it would be a question of (1) which one to do as each manufacturer produced something uniquely identifiable and (2) would there be enough demand given limited geographical spread.

Looking at this from a manufacturer's perspective I can see their reservations, however I think that whichever type were chosen this would, with a decent spec including sound provision at a realistic price-point (not meaning cheap, just not outrageously expensive) be very much a "Rule 1" purchase for most so these issues would not limit sales. However it is all about commercial risk I guess and it wouldn't be me taking it!

Roy

I think there are plenty more marketable DMUs out there. We don't all model branch line terminii  :D

I suspect that Revolution will want to focus on 64' MUs seeing as they have such a design in their hands, and leave the 57' variety to Bachmann (to do the shrink ray on the 105, for example).

The challenge is the 117, of course. Has the Bachmann OO version scuppered this one for ever?

Bob

PS I don't want a railbus in any shape or livery. I have enough on my plate creating Southern EMUs  :angel:

Portpatrick

Roy makes a good point.  I have a number of what are Rule 1 items as regards my secondary Scottish line based layouts.  They are run on the club layout midweek or if it is at shows.  eg, 9 coach Duchess/Class 40, 46, 52 or Deltic headed expresses.  Or a 25 wagon mineral train with a G2, Stanier 8F or WD on the front.  But I note some clear "winners" in the poll.  My own 1st choice of the Craven being one of them, along with the 110/104.  With the Derby Lightweight, if I recall there were 2 manifestations.  The early one with those distinctive "cathedral" drivers end large windows, and the later ones looking more like the 107/108.  If I am correct on that, which version would people want? 

Steven B

Quote from: Bob G on October 31, 2023, 11:34:26 AMThe challenge is the 117, of course. Has the Bachmann OO version scuppered this one for ever?

It would take a brave manufacturer to take on anything in Bachmann's OO Gauge catalogue - the 105 and 117 included.

SB

Bob G

Lets see what is announced by Bachmann tomorrow (I think it is tomorrow).

Stu Fox

I've just finished building 103, 104 110 and  124 units...
Typical - if want something to be released by a manufacturer - spend months building one!!  :D

Roy L S

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Stu Fox on October 31, 2023, 12:28:04 PMI've just finished building 103, 104 110 and  124 units...
Typical - if want something to be released by a manufacturer - spend months building one!!  :D

Hi

Whose 124 have you built and any photos?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Stu Fox

Hi Paul,

The 124 is a full 6 coach TPE using Worsley sides and ends with Minitrix coaches and bogies for the basic frame. I scratched the under frame equipment and used a Japanese made motor chassis which is under the TSO.

Here's a short video of it on my layout along with the 110 set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUxitDVVbE

Cheers

Stu

PLD

Quote from: Stu Fox on October 31, 2023, 05:48:40 PMHi Paul,

The 124 is a full 6 coach TPE using Worsley sides and ends with Minitrix coaches and bogies for the basic frame. I scratched the under frame equipment and used a Japanese made motor chassis which is under the TSO.

Here's a short video of it on my layout along with the 110 set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUxitDVVbE

Cheers

Stu
:offtopicsign:
Selby Swing Bridge?
Forget the trains, can we see more of that please?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations