Use of old Farish Locomotives

Started by Le Night ferry, August 21, 2023, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Night ferry

I think someone modified old Farish's wheel to Dopol's one on my workbench...

AdrianC

I still have plenty of old Farish locos in the fleet. 5 class 47s and 3 class 37s. Yes, the detail isn't as good and the newer models but I'm not that bothered. A couple of the older ones are lined up for some renumbering and detailing, as it's far cheaper to test my limited skills on the older ones that risk messing up a £80 plus newer one.
I have an old 47487 in Inter-City Exec lined up to become 47541 'The Queen Mother' - renumbering, Highland stag decals and some tweeks to the livery
A blue one will become an early 47/7, and 47479 Track 29 in Parcels sector livery which needs just some replacement buffers.
The newer ones I have (esp the Class 37s) are fabulous looking though.
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

Le Night ferry

Quote from: AdrianC on September 15, 2023, 11:00:42 AMI still have plenty of old Farish locos in the fleet. 5 class 47s and 3 class 37s. Yes, the detail isn't as good and the newer models but I'm not that bothered. A couple of the older ones are lined up for some renumbering and detailing, as it's far cheaper to test my limited skills on the older ones that risk messing up a £80 plus newer one.
I have an old 47487 in Inter-City Exec lined up to become 47541 'The Queen Mother' - renumbering, Highland stag decals and some tweeks to the livery
A blue one will become an early 47/7, and 47479 Track 29 in Parcels sector livery which needs just some replacement buffers.
The newer ones I have (esp the Class 37s) are fabulous looking though.
How's Farish's old diesels/Eletrics perform?
I'd like to have class 91 for 91204 Rev W.Awdry.

AdrianC

Quote from: Le Night ferry on September 15, 2023, 01:01:06 PMHow's Farish's old diesels/Eletrics perform?
I'd like to have class 91 for 91204 Rev W.Awdry.

A bit rough but they are ok to be fair. Generally good haulage ability. But obviously not a patch on some of the modern ones like a Dapol 68, which is the best running UK loco I have.

Mine don't get a huge amount of use as I currently don't have a layout so rely on getting the Kato track out on the dining table, but they are fine if looked after. I would probably avoid the earlier 3-pole motored ones if possible though as they are very much of their time, but the motors can be changed. My one 3-pole motored 47 actually has a replacement 5 pole motor as the original burnt out.

That said, my original 3-pole HST is still going (if a bit noisy), but these used the DMU motor bogie so both power cars came powered as it wasn't strong enough for a full rake of coaches. When they switched it to a 5 pole it became a full chassis in one power car and the other was non-powered.

The 91s are later models so would be 5-pole motored.

ntpntpntp

I'm fairly sure this was Farish's first bogie diesel.  I bought one when they first came out (1981), sold it when I changed to European N models, but bought this one 2 years ago as it was mint unused and I wanted a reminder of my old collection :)  She has brass gears and directional lights (both of those features were dropped in later models). I like brass gears (no splits!) The 3-pole motor works well enough.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

AdrianC

Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 15, 2023, 03:24:51 PMI'm fairly sure this was Farish's first bogie diesel.  I bought one when they first came out (1981), sold it when I changed to European N models, but bought this one 2 years ago as it was mint unused and I wanted a reminder of my old collection :)  She has brass gears and directional lights (both of those features were dropped in later models). I like brass gears (no splits!) The 3-pole motor works well enough.

I think you're right @ntpntpntp, my first farish diesel was the 08 but that used the 0-6-0 chassis from their tank engines, so the 47 would have been the first proper diesel chassis, and i think it was re-used under the early 37s too.
My first one was 47712 Lady Diana Spencer in large logo blue with brass buffers.
It was closely followed by the motor bogie for the 101 and the HST.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: AdrianC on September 15, 2023, 04:34:54 PMMy first one was 47712 Lady Diana Spencer in large logo blue with brass buffers.

Like this one :)  This was my £12 bargain purchase at a toy fair a year ago. Needed some 3D replacement parts to secure the bogies and the box underneath. Also has brass gears and lights :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

AdrianC

Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 15, 2023, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: AdrianC on September 15, 2023, 04:34:54 PMMy first one was 47712 Lady Diana Spencer in large logo blue with brass buffers.

Like this one :)  This was my £12 bargain purchase at a toy fair a year ago. Needed some 3D replacement parts to secure the bogies and the box underneath. Also has brass gears and lights :)

That's the one  :thumbsup:

I think my one still has the usual issue with the box not staying on  :D

ntpntpntp

Quote from: AdrianC on September 16, 2023, 07:28:14 PMI think my one still has the usual issue with the box not staying on  :D

Yeah, I drew up and 3D printed a fitting to secure the box to the chassis

Bigmac

Quote from: AdrianC link=msg=80quote author=AdrianC link=msg=808942 date=1694792094]
Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 15, 2023, 03:24:51 PMI'm fairly sure this was Farish's first bogie diesel.  I bought one when they first came out (1981), sold it when I changed to European N models, but bought this one 2 years ago as it was mint unused and I wanted a reminder of my old collection :)  She has brass gears and directional lights (both of those features were dropped in later models). I like brass gears (no splits!) The 3-pole motor works well enough.

I think you're right @ntpntpntp, my first farish diesel was the 08 but that used the 0-6-0 chassis from their tank engines, so the 47 would have been the first proper diesel chassis, and i think it was re-used under the early 37s too.
My first one was 47712 Lady Diana Spencer in large logo blue with brass buffers.
my first farish diesel was the 08 but that used the 0-6-0 chassis from their tank engines, so the 47 would have been the first proper diesel chassis, and i think it was re-used under the early 37s too.
[/quote]

"first farish diesel was the 08 but that used the 0-6-0 chassis from their tank engines,"

from memory the 08 had its own chassis from the start --i had one.  The only other loco to use that chassis was the j94 sadlle tank later on
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Le Night ferry

It's worth to have it, cheaper than new locos, but have nice quality

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations