Use of old Farish Locomotives

Started by Le Night ferry, August 21, 2023, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Night ferry

They are quite cheap in ebay(well,in Japan, there price are skyrocketed).
Or It could be model with someone's memory.
How do you use old Farish's locos?

1)Souvenir
Old train which spend time with modeller.
And heard that Farish is one of pioneer of British n gauge, It could be monument.

2)Modifying
Adding details, change bogie and motor, DCC and lighting.

3)Heavily modifying
Changing gears and wheel to newer one. Or attach tyre for more traction(like newer Kato's loco).
Did someone ever tired this?

4)Donor chassis
Use chassis for white metal kits or 3d printed shell.
Need heavy weight for 3d printed.

Amazed that old Farish has lots of lineup-seems like even more than this time.
Along with Hornby Minitrix, they once ruled market(well, I don't know any of old Dapol's).

Bob G

Dapol started production in 2005. Graham Farish in 1970.
The old Farish locos should be cheap as they are poorly detailed compared to current Farish offerings.

PLD

Uses for original Poole models?

Paper weight
Door stop
Slicing pizzas
 :-\

KevTheBusDriver

Early Farish diesels (with metal gears) will run and run with a coreless motor fitted! :)

Train Waiting

Quote from: PLD on August 21, 2023, 06:51:56 PMUses for original Poole models?

Paper weight
Door stop
Slicing pizzas
 :-\

And running on my layout!  I have had great fun getting a ProperlyPoole LMS 'Black Five' running again and she is a very nice engine.  She has a 'presence' and reminds me of the real thing.

I really like these older models.

With all best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

grumbeast

I'm with John here, while they are significantly inferior to modern offerings there is something very satisfying having some old poole made locos still running, especially if you've had to work a bit to make them go.  Any if I'm totally honest, having an old spamcan or castle running a couple of feet away while I'm doing something else is great and I can't see the lack of detail

Portpatrick

With a bit of love and care older Farish locos will run for years,  THe steam models will generally pull well too.  Their sheer weight gives them traction without tyres (which need periodic replacing).  Though the chassis themselves are hefty so even diesels never let me down.    By modern standards they are certainly very simple and crude but in their favour very robust and stand up to a lot more handling.  With steam, usually one 8 BA screw and the chassis unclips for easy maintenance.  Modern kettles, like modern cars, are nearly inaccessible!  Sometimes a number of usually tiny screws to get lost.  The chassis are still needed for some/most Langley, Marsh and BH Enterprise kits.  Incidentally I have had little problem fitting NEM pockets and easi shunt couplings to a number of Poole locos.  And Union Mills.  Minor surgery required and if you decide to sell, as in some cases I have done, simply replace the easishunt with a current NEM based Farish coupling. There were sometimes quality issues.  My first 2 Black 5s c 1980 needed some work to ensure pick ups made contact with the wheels and that the valve gear did not bind.  Then even 3 pole versions ran sweetly enough.

stevewalker

A number of my locos are old Farish Poole versions, bought second-hand. At normal viewing distances, who cares about the detail? They run well enough, have a decent weight to give them good traction and last for decades.

Bealman

Referring to the OP#1, quick reply:

Basically, all of those.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Le Night ferry

Many users love old Farishs'...
Well, I've watched someone use old Farish chassis for 3d printed shell.
Is it good? How does it perform?

Portpatrick

Quote from: Le Night ferry on August 22, 2023, 10:05:08 AMMany users love old Farishs'...

I have certainly used resin and 3D bodies on older Farish chassis.  All diesels.  eg, 10001, class 26,27,28,24,.  The chassis are quite heavy in their own right - even some (not all) of the Poole diesels had plastic bodies.  All have pulled all I expected of them.  On the club layout that is 7-8 coaches or c 20 wagons.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Portpatrick on August 22, 2023, 03:01:39 PM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on August 22, 2023, 10:05:08 AMMany users love old Farishs'...

I have certainly used resin and 3D bodies on older Farish chassis.  All diesels.  eg, 10001, class 26,27,28,24,.  The chassis are quite heavy in their own right - even some (not all) of the Poole diesels had plastic bodies.  All have pulled all I expected of them.  On the club layout that is 7-8 coaches or c 20 wagons.
Seems like diesels are quite heavy.
Is class28 BoCo from Rev.Awdry?
For steam loco, I'm not sure

chrism

Portpatrick

Quote from: chrism on August 22, 2023, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on August 22, 2023, 03:10:38 PMIs class28 BoCo from Rev.Awdry?

Yes, it's the Metrovick Co-Bo from 1958.

Indeed. Rev Awdry introduced such a loco in his later books.  Some of us will remember a OO offering in the long deceased Hornby Doublo range.

I now have 2 in N.  The green one is a resin/3D body from Leicester Models.  Excellent workmanship, gentle weathering too.  It runs on a Poole era class 31 chassis with a class 25 bogie at the "Bo" end.  The chassis is a little short.  I have modified the bogie frames to take NEM pockets and am trying medium length easi shunt couplings.  If need be I will substitute long ones.

I also have a blue one from the Rapido stable which came out more recently.  Glorious model.  A 70th birthday present from my wife!

Firstone18

Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on August 21, 2023, 08:11:00 PMEarly Farish diesels (with metal gears) will run and run with a coreless motor fitted! :)
Agreed! My old GF Class 47 failed a while back and I traced this to an armature fault; on winding 2x resistance of other two windings. I spoke to bob at B R Lines, and purchased his coreless conversion. I fitted the motor as per the instructions, and with the magnet removed fitted decoder in the space vacated. I have also changed to LED lights so now have White/Red at both ends. I got chance to see just what this loco could do with its new motor last Saturday at the Silver Fox show, it managed 8 GF Inter-City (75') coaches no problem, and I reckon it could have pulled more. I had to shorten the train as the layout is undergoing changes for exhibition use so the platforms are only 5 coaches long at present. At a distance it looks the part so it will get used a lot now.
As others have said, modern locos whilst highly detailed for close inspection, are generally much lighter than the old GF, Minitrix, and Union Mills so on a layout with gradients (helix) at 2% are not able to pull long trains.
Cheers :beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations