oil and petrol wagons

Started by rodders, March 11, 2013, 10:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodders

hello,  more help please.  I managed to collect my peco oil wagon kits today, i got 3 for £4.00 each, which i thought was good from my local shop.... Now for the big question, Before i paint these,    What colour were Esso wagons around  1954- 1957(ish)    The very few photo's i have are  of mixed freight, which is, apparently typical.  Even though the photo's are in black and white the wagons appear to be black and i have yet to see any lettering or branding.  I've been collecting black Shell BP wagons and a couple of green ones.  Imagine the look on my fizzog (face) when my mate tells me  it was an Esso Oil  depot opposite the station and not BP/Shell!  I wondered if i had seen tar wagons and not oil petrol etc.   The good news is i do have one Esso wagon in silver  with thanks and regards  Rodders
After I explained to my wife, that when I said I fancied doing some modelling, I  meant with trains, not Victoria's secret fashion show, she quite warmed to the idea!

dodger

I'll try to get the gray matter working and whilst I was only just at school for the period you are interested in my local station had an oil depot so most freights had an large mumber of tanks in the consist.

Whilst it was a BP depot all the tanks were black and mostly like the Peco kit.

In the 60's silver tanks were class A, low flash point - petrol etc., whilst black tanks were class B high flash point - diesel, lub oil etc.

I'm not sure when this distinction was introduced but I cannot recall seeing a silver tanks in the 50's. It may have been that the depot didnt handle pertol at this time as there were fewer cars about.

There were 2 unloading points one siding adjacent to the BP depot where the tanks were unloaded directly and a small general yard the other side of the main line where the tanks were unloaded to road tankers for a short road trip to the depot.

Hope it helps a bit.

Dodger

swisstony

Ignore the wrong era loco but here you go :)

The black Esso wagons at the rear are available pre weathered in sets of three as part of the Graham Farish Blue Ribbon brand and are a current item for about £27.

rodders

Quote from: dodger on March 12, 2013, 08:04:15 AM
I'll try to get the gray matter working and whilst I was only just at school for the period you are interested in my local station had an oil depot so most freights had an large mumber of tanks in the consist.

Whilst it was a BP depot all the tanks were black and mostly like the Peco kit.

In the 60's silver tanks were class A, low flash point - petrol etc., whilst black tanks were class B high flash point - diesel, lub oil etc.

I'm not sure when this distinction was introduced but I cannot recall seeing a silver tanks in the 50's. It may have been that the depot didnt handle pertol at this time as there were fewer cars about.

There were 2 unloading points one siding adjacent to the BP depot where the tanks were unloaded directly and a small general yard the other side of the main line where the tanks were unloaded to road tankers for a short road trip to the depot.

Hope it helps a bit.

Dodger

hello Dodger, thanks for you're help, and information.  my mates dad was the foreman of the oil depot just across the road from Barnstaple Victoria road.  He tells me that the oil was pumped under the road into tanks,  and then he tells me it was an Esso site!!  Just goes to show that it's easy to get things wrong.  (For me anyway)  Regards  and  thanks  Rodders
After I explained to my wife, that when I said I fancied doing some modelling, I  meant with trains, not Victoria's secret fashion show, she quite warmed to the idea!

rodders

Quote from: swisstony on March 12, 2013, 08:34:55 AM
Ignore the wrong era loco but here you go :)

The black Esso wagons at the rear are available pre weathered in sets of three as part of the Graham Farish Blue Ribbon brand and are a current item for about £27.

hello Swiss Tony.  thanks for you're reply.  Cracking picture of the oil wagons,   the layout looks absolutely fabulous . (I'm nearly as green as those BP wagons)! I think i'll paint these three Peco wagons black, which will make 5 plus i'll get 1 more silver Esso wagon, and the three green one's can just get absorbed in the layout .  thanks and regards  Rodders

swisstony

Thanks for that Rodders  :goggleeyes: heres a couple of my Depot too

Had a repaint since the first fitting ;)

rodders

well, you've certainly got that right!  From The lovely blue sky to the telegraph poles and everything in between. what an excellent layout. Must be straight AAAAA's! what size is the board, please? many thanks and regards  Rodders

swisstony

Im space constrained by SWMBO so its about 5ft x 2 1/2ft two levels, if you look in the layout section and search for Overthorpe or Hammingwell you will find my build posts

Paul

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations