Nostalgia

Started by oscar, May 29, 2012, 12:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Decimalisation - the biggest con ever pulled on a gullible public! :thumbsdown:

Southernboy

I do remember being a little confused shortly after decimalisation when I bought 10p worth of sweets and the shop-keeper wouldn't give me the 2p change I was expecting from the shilling I'd just handed over.

That price list dates from around the time I started getting interested in model railways: I used to get half-a-crown a week pocket money then, so a Farish 4-wheeler would take three weeks saving-up ... (how many of you pre-decimal members continued to work out prices in 'proper money' long after decimilsation just to see how much things  'really cost' ??  :)

We still had £1 notes then too :) (withdrawn 1984).

Oldman

Quote from: Southernboy on May 29, 2012, 07:48:21 PM
I do remember being a little confused shortly after decimalisation when I bought 10p worth of sweets and the shop-keeper wouldn't give me the 2p change I was expecting from the shilling I'd just handed over.

That price list dates from around the time I started getting interested in model railways: I used to get half-a-crown a week pocket money then, so a Farish 4-wheeler would take three weeks saving-up ... (how many of you pre-decimal members continued to work out prices in 'proper money' long after decimilsation just to see how much things  'really cost' ??  :)

We still had £1 notes then too :) (withdrawn 1984).

I still remember my first paypacket in 1970 was £7 3s6d  - on a different note any one remember the double florin (4 bob bit) still have one along with a Churchill Crown in our old coin collection.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Newportnobby

Farthings, halfpennys, threepenny bits, tanners, shillings, florins, half crowns, guineas - all but a memory except threepenny bits and that's only rhyming slang nowadays  :smiley-laughing:

Many's the time I overheard old ladies saying they weren't going to bother with this new money stuff because it won't catch on ::) ;D

Southernboy

Two stories:

On the day the 'New Decimal Money' came out I remember coming out of a shop with my Nan and her saying 'Look how small and narrow these new half-p coins are - they can slip between your fingers! (and she was right - they were absolutely miniscule compared to the old coins!)

Also from my Nanny Rose ...

"Rule Brittania, Two Tanners make a Bob, Three make Two and Six and three Three Bob: :)

cookiescrumble

scotsoft

Quote from: Malc on May 29, 2012, 06:17:13 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 29, 2012, 12:42:29 PM
I was just 18 then, and it's probably the first time this list had been issued since decimalisation :o :smiley-laughing:
Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
Young whippersnapper! (I was 20)
;D

I can fill the gap, I was 19 and as pure as the driven slush, a state I have kept intact to this very day  :evil:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

Malc

I can tell you one thing tho' - nostalgia ain't as good as it was in the old days :smiley-laughing:
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations