BBC weather forecast

Started by Newportnobby, February 21, 2020, 10:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

The Beaufort Scale sets wind as follows:-

37-46 mph = Gale
47-54 mph = Severe Gale
55-63 mph = Storm

Why do the BBC therefore describe gale force winds as either 'strong' or even 'gusty'?
Come on, Beeb, tell it like it is and don't worry about putting the wind up us.

After the 1987 Michael Fish 'male chicken' (changed by forum) up you'd think they'd have learned something.

port perran

I moan at the television almost on a daily basis when the weather person says gentle breeze whilst the chart says 40mph.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

railsquid

I suppose they don't want to risk upsetting people called "Gale" or even "Gail", it is the Century of the Fruitbat 21st century after all.

guest311

my question would be ...

why don't they look out of the window  :veryangry:

so often I check the local forecast on line on the Met Office website...

"a light breeze, mainly sunny with occasional cloudy periods"

look out of the window

AND IT'S A HOWLING GALE, AND ABSOLUTELY  :hmmm: POURING DOWN

my first job when I left school, in 19 err, was with the AM Met Office, and in those days they did one day, five day and 30 day forecasts.

these days they can't even get today's weather right  :censored:

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on February 21, 2020, 10:24:03 AM
I suppose they don't want to risk upsetting people called "Gale" or even "Gail", it is the Century of the Fruitbat 21st century after all.

Some folks would maybe like a 'severe Gale' :D :worried:

daffy

Since we seem to be shootin' the breeze about the Beeb, I've just looked at the online hourly forecast for my location and at 41mph the wind is described as 'gusty', while at 42mph it is 'strong'.
All I know is it's 45 at the moment (still only 'strong', though in reality it's very gusty) and is unlikely to reach the level of a 'hooley', such as the one we had last week when the wind hit 65mph here, described by the Beeb at the time as 'very strong gusty'.

And why doesn't the Beeb use the correct terms for rain? They never once described the recent rain as 'cats and dogs' .
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

There's a lady bowler gets into my local watering hole who's called Gail.

Everyone, including her fellow lady bowlers, thinks she's a pain in the arse.

Severe Gail.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

thebrighton

I love the inconsistency of both the BBC and Met Office with their online forecasts. I live by the coast right on the edge of 2 postcodes. Viewing forecasts for both codes you'd think they were a hundred miles apart! In the recent storms the forecast wind speed could be up to 20mph different between the 2. Unfortunately the actual hooley went with the higher....

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 21, 2020, 10:56:28 AM
Quote from: railsquid on February 21, 2020, 10:24:03 AM

Some folks would maybe like a 'severe Gale' :D :worried:

now, now this is a family forum  :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations