Hattons and Farish

Started by Bob G, January 21, 2019, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Have I missed something, but Hattons are not showing any new Farish stock since Christmas, whereas Rails are happily selling new stock.
Have Hattons had a bust up with the Barwell boys and come off worst?

Bob

ntpntpntp

There has been a thread discussion about it. Something to do with Hattons now being considered a manufacturer not just a shop?  I've not bothered following it, as continental is my thing.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bob G

I'm aware of that thread, but I dont think it discusses any implications of them not being able to sell Farish (or Bachmann, for that matter).
I just thought it odd that I couldn't get new releases from Hattons but I can from other vendors...

Its also quite odd as Rails commission their own stuff, Kernow their own stuff (including not through Bachmann), but that hasn't stopped them selling Bachmann/Farish products.

Bob

njee20

Yep, Hatton's haven't had any new Bachmann stock for 6 months. They sent out announcements for the 2019 range, so they obviously foresee it being resolved, but they're not the place to get your Farish stock at the moment!

Paul-H

I know when the Farish Class 66 evening Star came out last year, although I had it on order with Hattons, everyone else had it in stock well before Hattons did.  I ended up cancelling with Hattons and getting it elsewhere.  I still have a few on order but as they will not see the light of day this year I will hold back before I cancel the lot.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

njee20

Mmm, I know of a number of models which have come and gone with Hatton's having not received stock. Not ideal if you're actively following availability, I imagine a number of people have ended up missing out on things.

Shropshire Lad

I had quite a few MK2 coaches pre ordered with Hatton's but as it looked unlikely that first class corridor ones (the first of a fairly large amount) weren't going to come from there I transferred my pre orders to Rails. This is costing them some money so you would hope that they can sort it out.
Cheers Colin

guest311

just went on 'chat' to Hattons, their response is that they are still stocking new releases 'but there has been a slight delay'.
unable to give any date when deliveries will restart, but say pre-orders will be honoured.

make of that what you will  :confused1:

njee20

I struggle to believe that, if Bachmann don't have stock then they won't be getting any stock to satisfy the pre-orders once this is resolved. I don't believe for a second Bachmann have somehow 'held back' the  Hatton's allocation, so I call that bobbins. They're my chosen retailer, but no way would I be using them for any pre-orders at the moment (of stuff due imminently at least).

Stuart Down Under

Perhaps they have breached the "understanding" with Bachmann about restrictions to discounting, and they are being taught a lesson! A search of "new stock" shows the latest Branchline items arrived at the end of November, and Farish mid October.   :confused1:

It isn't a personal problem at present, because I'm not expecting anything of interest to me until mid-year. :hmmm:

Stuart Down Under

Email response just received from Hattons:

I am sorry that we have not released any solid information regarding the delay with receiving stock from Bachmann. We do value our customers and hate to keep information from you but this is due to ongoing legal discussions in which we can't disclose information until it has been resolved.

We are in talks with Bachmann at the moment and I believe it will be coming to a resolution within the next couple of weeks. Bachmann do have our allocation of stock set aside for us so preorders will be honoured once the stock reaches us.

.... looks promising!

Garyf

Sounds similar to my local aero modelling shop, they were no longer getting Eflight products from Horizon Hobby, including spares to repair the unscheduled arrivals. A trade stand at one of the shows explained that Horizon had identified a number of serial discounters and refused to deal with them any more, at the same time they hiked the retail price by 20-30%. I've now stopped buying Horizon products and I'm in the process of getting rid of the Spektrum radio gear as well.

Gary

Bob G

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on January 23, 2019, 09:24:24 AM
Perhaps they have breached the "understanding" with Bachmann about restrictions to discounting, and they are being taught a lesson! A search of "new stock" shows the latest Branchline items arrived at the end of November, and Farish mid October.   :confused1:

For "understanding" read "cartel" as there is an equivalent Dapol understanding too. Dapol new stock cannot be discounted below 15% either.

Rails cheat the understanding by offering free postage on new locos, so I dont understand why they have picked on Hattons in particular. I've not seen Hattons (or indeed any supplier) being profligate with any discounts on new stock over the 15% understanding. This forum would have noticed and told the rest of us.

guest311

very interesting, I would read that as saying that a retailer could not discount by more than 15% would be illegal.
but then I'm a human being, not a lawyer  :laugh:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations