Class 442 wessex electric

Started by GWR_XC, January 21, 2019, 07:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Tank's right that the eBay seller one doesn't include buffers or windscreens, and I vaguely recall some white metal detailing parts too.

Although I've got the order confirmation from eBay I can't find the seller ID to see if he's still doing anything, certainly can't find any more of the cab fronts, which is a shame.

Would you want your hypothetical 442 motorised, presumably? That does make it harder and significantly more expensive as you need the 158 chassis. I'm not averse to building one if the bits become available more readily again.

GWR_XC

Thanks njee20 for your help and advice

I would take anything when it comes to the 442, used to use them in real life when I was a child around Southampton Central always been my favourite train, hopefully one day some will potentially do one via crowd funding

njee20

Mmm, they're my favourite EMUs too. Obviously new liveries and being dragged about the country for refurb would help, but I fear you'll wait a very long time for RTR one!

I'll keep an eye out for the cab fronts, if they come up again then I'd do another one.

GWR_XC

Thanks njee20 really appreciate it  :thankyousign:

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Euston on January 21, 2019, 08:28:48 AM
Hi Paul

Many thanks for that, would really appreciate it

Also you are building one yourself? If so be interesting to know your progress

Hi

I am building one and have been for around 10 years (other projects keep getting in the way).

Mine requires painting now before the transfers are applied then it will be done. It is motorised using the old TPM chassis.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

GWR_XC

Sounds great Paul, please share some pics when done,

10 years some didication there, but bet it will be worth the wait

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Euston on January 21, 2019, 10:34:01 AM
Sounds great Paul, please share some pics when done,

10 years some didication there, but bet it will be worth the wait

Hi

Ten years is nothing my scratchbuilt 506 took around twenty  :D.

I find I have a burst of enthusiasm at the start then some problem will arise so I put it away until I find a solution.

In the case of the 442 I wanted to spray the bodies using my airbrush but until recently I could only use it outdoors on a sunny day and other things took priority. I now have a spray booth I can setup in the house so I can paint all year round.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

GWR_XC

wow 20 years to complete a model, fair play on completing it, you must be really talented at building these models..

Hopefully you have the enthusiasm to finish the 442 soon, and if you ever fancy building one to order please do let me know many thanks

Skyline2uk

Wow 10 and 20 years for finishing a model, makes me feel better about taking 8 for a building.....

I am also a fan of the 442 and contemplated attempting one (my preference would have been to use Fox decals as I seem to get on with them).

I got as far as trying to source cheap MK3s.

However I have since been put off by:

• Apparent lack of complete conversion parts (knew about windscreen and buffers, not about bogie sides)
  • Not having an airbrush and not being able to find a suitable NSE white in rattle cans

One day I will have one, but seeing as I am between layouts it's not a priority.

That said, if one were to come up for sale....

Skyline2uk

njee20

Cheap mk3s come up all the time on eBay, or these. I had about 30 'in stock' for various conversions  :-[ gradually working through them, with at least 5 destined to become a 442!

The Railmatch NSE silver white brush paints nicely, I found the cab fronts far harder to get right. The lack of correct bogies is a pain, but they're not that obvious, wouldn't stop me using the standard mk3 ones.

Helvellyn

I've just discovered this thread as I've just dragged my 442 kit out to continue it, after around 10 years too! Regarding the unavailable parts of the kits there are possible work arounds. The Farish class 170 bogies (apparently available at BR Lines) are the correct style for the four unpowered coaches and the 158 bogies are correct for the centre power car. As a sort of bonus, to replace the unavailable damper etches, the Farish bogies have a moulded representation of the dampers! The white metal casting in the kit are mainly replacement roof ventilators and a representation of the coupling area, so a Micro Trains coupling could be used as a replacement. The only thing I'm not sure about is what to do about replacing the glazing that comes with the kit for the cabs.
So if or when the resin castings become available again on ebay there is a way to complete the unit without the complete kit. This is what I've been thinking to do with the set of castings I got from ebay.

Regards
David

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations