removing factory applied glue marks

Started by bluedepot, December 27, 2022, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi

if you want to remove factory applied glue marks is the only real option to carefully chip them off?  how would you do this? knife or small flat screwdriver?

presumably other glue removers and acetone would damage the paint or plastic.

cheers

tim

Bob G

I suppose it depends what the glue is made from and where it is.
I've been lucky not to have had that problem (but have had many others).

I use a sharp scalpel to chip away /cut away and sometimes the act of cutting the strand of glue at 90 degrees to the bleg actually parts it from the loco body. It all depends on location, size and type of glue. Just be careful, or send it back!

Cheers Bob

Paddy

Hi @Tim ( @bluedepot )

Reminds me of a conversation I had with George the CEO at Dapol several years ago over their Evening Star 9F. My new locomotive had several glue marks where small details were attached and looked bad. I wrote to Dapol as this seemed poor quality control on their part. George responded telling me that it could not have been Dapol as they do not use any glue in the manufacture of their locos. Apparently, they used (use?) sonic welding rather than glue. George did kindly replace the 9F and the new one was much better although still not totally "glue" free.

Happy New Year

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

ntpntpntp

Unfortunately solvent glues melt their way into the paint and plastic, the only decent way to fix marks caused by solvents is a gentle rub down, filler if necessary,  and re-paint.

Other types of glue may simply sit on the surface, so careful use of a scalpel may release it but probably will have caused some damage to the paint.   Perhaps disguise the marks with weathering?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Dr Al

Quote from: Paddy on December 28, 2022, 11:51:54 AM
Hi @Tim ( @bluedepot )

Reminds me of a conversation I had with George the CEO at Dapol several years ago over their Evening Star 9F. My new locomotive had several glue marks where small details were attached and looked bad. I wrote to Dapol as this seemed poor quality control on their part. George responded telling me that it could not have been Dapol as they do not use any glue in the manufacture of their locos.

I remember this was possibly debunked (a long time ago) as untrue, but forget (probably lost in time to other forums) - either way, around that time it was absolutely evident from the tear downs I did, that Dapol were gluing parts, and continue to do so (remember the parts are are painted already, so how would they 'weld', never mind the geometries and complexity of doing so...?).

Certainly in more recent factory videos from Rapido for example, they are perfectly happy showing folks gluing parts, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can even have some sympathy for the humans who might get it imperfect and leave a few glue trails....can you imagine gluing the handrails on 4,000 9Fs.....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

bluedepot

thanks everyone

I'll see how brave I am feeling and maybe try the scalpel!

yes good idea to disguise with weathering as well.

it's a shame they can't switch to using some other type of glue in the model train factories that is easy to remove.

cheers

tim

Bigmac

i thought i had replied to this'

Was the item bought brand new ?  if yes--send it back for replacement.

If it was bought used / 2nd hand...then quite possibly the glue was likely put there by a previous owner.  Its easily done--i should know.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: bluedepot on December 29, 2022, 07:41:55 PM
it's a shame they can't switch to using some other type of glue in the model train factories that is easy to remove.

All that's needed is more care in the application, whether that is at the factory or the purchaser of the item. There is never a reason for glue to be visible.  The glue itself is fine, you need something which will create a strong bond otherwise people will complain of parts falling off :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations