Dewalt battery charger overheating

Started by daffy, March 26, 2020, 09:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

One for the knowledgeable electricians here:

Received yesterday a new Dewalt 18v XR Combi drill with two 4Ah lithium batteries and the DCB113 charger.

I charged both batteries and when I went to unplug the unit when the second one finished charging the charger itself was very hot. Now I know chargers get very warm, but this was hot and even my wife in the adjoining room said "what's burning". My sense of smell is less acute than hers but even at arms length it smelt to me like scorched plastic and/or assembly oils (?) cooking.

I've sent an email this morning to Screwfix, the retailer, saying I thought it was a fire risk, but wanted to ask, prior to their reply, if it was only so hot because i'd charge two 4Ah batteries in reasonably close succession, and the second one showed almost no charge before I put it on the charger.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

Morning Daffy, I run Bosch Li ion 4.0ah and 5.0ah batteries and their rapid charge system, my li ion chargers have thermal overload protection on them and IF at anytime a fault occurs the red light blinks like mad and it shuts the charging sequence down.

Not much help I know but cant believe that De Walt would run anything different, all I do know is some years ago alot of american battery stock was wrongly sold in the uk and caused a bit of an issue on sites.

Not to suggest screwfix are selling inferior products unsuitable for the uk market, it might just be that the brand new charger has worked quite hard on its first use, even though the instructions will tell you to charge both batteries before use!!!

The torque the De Walt tools run is phenomenal, it has the ability  to break your wrist if it catches you unawares.

Hopefully just a box fresh burn off of factory residue

Bob Tidbury

This question is one for TANK to answer he is the DeWalt expert .
Bob Tidbury

daffy

Thanks Craig and Bob.

The instruction sheet does not indicate the charger has a safety cut out, which seems odd. It only mentions that if a battery is too hot or cold it will wait until it charges it.

It also unhelpfully states that the DCB118 charger has a cooling fan that kicks in if it gets hot. As the one in the kit I've received is the DCB113 that information is just irritating, rather suggesting they are aware that earlier/lesser models than the 118 (?) are prone to overheating and so fitted a fan to compensate.

Hopefully @Tank  Chris has some insight here.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Searching online for a contact number for Screwfix I've discovered that because of Covid-19 their Contact Centre is closed until further notice. :(

Looks like I'll have to sit in this one for a while.

Ah well. :music:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Tank

I have two of those chargers and I wouldn't say that they get hot.  You can feel warm out coming out of them, but certainly nothing to worry about.  I'd send it back and get another - they do go faulty from time to time.  Did the batteries get a full charge?

crewearpley40

Screwfix open 8 to 4. Try 03330 112112

daffy

Thanks Chris. Yes, they do indicate a full charge and the drill runs fine with either.

I'll look for a replacement from them but as above, they've closed their contact centre and so not taking calls there.  I'll try contacting the local (12 miles away) store direct that it came from but Screwfix are only open for essential Click and Collect stuff so I may be unlucky until all is sorted virus-wise.

Anyway, I'm staying put for the next two weeks.

Update: yep, no way to contact a store by phone or email so it's time for another bike ride! :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

On a whim I forwarded my email to 'Mary' at Screwfix, apparently the go to addy for complaints, on the pretext that no-one would likely be reading the original.

Got a reply from 'Craig' today to say they are happy to replace the whole kit (drill, batteries, charger, case) once trading gets back to normal.

That was good, but I had to reply that I would need to use the drill to finish a project (which is why I bought it as my old one packed up), and would be happy to wait for a charger replacement. I pointed out that I was quite aware that 'normal trading' might be months away.

So it's a good result, but not yet a conclusion, and perhaps a warning that with physical stores closing but companies still maintaining an online presence, any problems arising might take a long time to correct.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

I do find that a some what strange decision by Screwfix Mike, their stores are open for Click and Collect, I had to shoot to toolstation today to get a plastering bath, strange uses for horses!!!!

Anyway toolstation are offering refunds and replacements as well as click and collect, presumably the same network support for screwfix is in existence so cant see why they cant just swap it over at your store?? If another is not in stock send it with their next delivery  :hmmm:

Maybe a stretch of common sense too far???

emjaybee

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 27, 2020, 04:50:17 PM
I do find that a some what strange decision by Screwfix Mike, their stores are open for Click and Collect, I had to shoot to toolstation today to get a plastering bath, strange uses for horses!!!!

I'm impressed, you'll have to have words with my wife. She can get her horses to do all sorts of complicated manoeuvres, but she's never managed to get them to do plastering.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 27, 2020, 04:50:17 PM

Anyway toolstation are offering refunds and replacements as well as click and collect, presumably the same network support for screwfix is in existence so cant see why they cant just swap it over at your store?? If another is not in stock send it with their next delivery  :hmmm:

Maybe a stretch of common sense too far???

Yes, it is odd, though my local store is 12 miles away and it's impossible to speak to them by phone. Their website says 'only Click&Collect customers' should visit so perhaps they are taking that to extremes. No sense in turning up at their door on the off-chance they'll play ball.

In any event, SWMBO and I are now taking this isolation thing to the next level and have decided to avoid any face to face contact with anyone other than those few folks we incidentally pass on our walks or bike rides. We are okay for practically everything we need for the next two weeks or so, bar those things like milk, eggs, and veg that we will run short of in a week or so. Hopefully on online order will suffice for them, and for other things later.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

:laughabovepost: you've clearly never seen Mrs EC on the back of her array of them!!!  :laugh:

Young Bulla

Daughter sent us the 165 litre version two weeks ago for the exclusive use of the woof-monsters, handy things to have come bath time!

Trainfish

Quote from: daffy on March 26, 2020, 11:40:28 AM
Update: yep, no way to contact a store by phone or email so it's time for another bike ride! :)

@daffy , which store are you trying to call and on what number?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations