Chrome issues!

Started by petercharlesfagg, July 20, 2014, 05:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Yesterday by mistake I clicked on a site that sent my AVG virus checker and my Malwarebytes checker into orbit and eventually I wound up with some PUP's.  (Potential Unwanted Programmes)

I have now deleted them but my Chrome browser is horrendously slow and the scrolling almost non-existent!  (Both scrolling wheel and scrolling using the side bar, I have replaced the battery in the mouse too!)

Therefore I used the "Remove programmes" in the Control panel and reloaded Chrome anew from Google.

A restart makes no difference and I am back to square one!

Any ideas from those who know?

Tearing hair out in great tufts, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

lionwing

Peter

Ok...sounds like a bit of a bother!

Is your PC demonstrating any other strange behaviour? 

Firstly make sure your version of Windows has all current updates installed. It would be handy to know which version of Windows you are using.

Once Windows is updated then it might be worth performing a few other maintenance tasks such as Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and a Defragmentation.  All of these tools can be accessed by "right clicking" on the hard drive icon through Windows Explorer.

Moving on...and this depends on your version of Windows.  You need to access a program called "msconfig".  If running Windows 7 it can be run by opening the start menu, typing "msconfig" into the search box and then double clicking it when the program appears.

Your interest in msconfig is on the "startup" tab which will appear.  A bit tricky to give advice without being in front of your PC here...but the startup tab will show all programs that Windows runs when it starts.  Looks for anything out of the norm and disable it via the tick box on the right.  After exiting this program is will ask for the PC to be restarted.

At this stage I would suggest running Malwarebytes again and a program called CCleaner  available from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download.

Hopefully this will go some way to resolving the problem but if not have a look at http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ for alternative AV programs.

Un-installing Chrome doesn't always remove all of the program and whatever remnant of a virus or rogue settings looks likely to still be in your PC.

Good luck and
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

oscar

DCCDave

Not sure of the merit off adding more software to a system which iss running slow. All of these tools, in my opinion, do questionable things - and before anyone bites my head off and says they have been using them for years - I know precisely what each does. None of them is likely to fix a chrome issue.

When you uninsulated chrome Peter did you get it to install all related (personal) data too? If not then plugins etc are left in place and your un-install re-install achieved nothing.
Do you get slow running from other applications. Please try using IE to visit the sites you are getting poor performance on with Chrome. If IE exhibits no problems then its almost certainly a Chrome problem. Report back once you know.

Cheers
Dave

oscar

You don't add the software; you open it , use it, then put it back to bed. Quite effective on chrome...

trainsdownunder

QuoteYesterday by mistake I clicked on a site that sent my AVG virus checker and my Malwarebytes checker into orbit and eventually I wound up with some PUP's.  (Potential Unwanted Programmes)
Easily done Peter unfortunately .

I use Spybot - Search n Destroy, free version in conjunction with Malwarebytes and find these two seem to work well. However if you don't have anything to much in Chrome (favourites etc) you could delete and re-instal Chrome. It is possible to back up your data first if you wish - look under settings and at the top it will tell you how.

petercharlesfagg

My thanks to all!

In answer to some of the questions and suggestions.

OS XP Pro.  (Updates are OK)

Ccleaner used regularly.

Today Chrome was running fairly well but now I cannot use the Left click scroll on pages ONLY the scroll ball.  Scrolling is VERY jerky!  Have tried search but it tells me that under flags my "Enable smooth scrolling" is not permitted on my platform! (The UP platform I suppose :D :D I'm always standing on the down platform!)

Defrag, disc clean-up have been initiated as has yet another Chrome install but things are not happy!

Still trying to resolve, but becoming despondent!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Caz

Download and install Firefox, I got fed up with Chrome's idiosyncrasy and all its built in bloat ware, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Malc

Doesn't Chrome send your browsing preferences to Google?  Several bits of software I use try to install it whenever they require an update.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Caz

Google is the new Mircosoft, thinks it is the King of the world and it is so good why would anyone want anything else and anyway we know what is best for you, you need all these hidden add-ons and snoop ware - sheer arrogance.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

talisman56

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 21, 2014, 09:17:22 AM
My thanks to all!

I would be very careful about relying on 'Updates are OK' from XP - as it is no longer supported by Microsoft and no further updates are being issued for it. This also means no patches for bugs and security 'holes', which gives open season for virus and malware distributors. I would give serious consideration to upgrading your OS, if possible, on your PC. Microsoft would recommend Windows 8.1 (naturally), I would suggest Windows 7 would be a better bet.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Steve.T

Quote from: oscar on July 20, 2014, 06:43:49 PM
Download and run this:-

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

I would agree that it does work well on Chrome.
I did not have problems as big as Peters problem but did have a few smaller advertising issues that were slowing things down, and had an occasional freeze for up to a minute or so and this has very quickly cured them.

Many thanks for the link.

May not be enough for peter though but worth a try. I know in the past I have got in a very similar situation where things were just so slow and ended up with a complete reload of my laptop to get it all working again - even after trying many solutions posted on forums.

This software seems very good and simple. But need to be carfeful of many of the solutions given on some forums as a lot of the free software often just puts more advertising or monitoring software on your system unless you buy the full version.

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

pete284

Some users of Chrome found to beneficial to uninstall Chrome using Revo Uninstaller as this also removes Registry entries.

You may also wish to delete the default user profile for Chrome which on XP is at C:\Documents and Settings\(Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome
Pete Jones
"I would never join a club that would allow me as a member." - Groucho Marx

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: talisman56 on July 21, 2014, 06:05:18 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 21, 2014, 09:17:22 AM
My thanks to all!

I would be very careful about relying on 'Updates are OK' from XP - as it is no longer supported by Microsoft and no further updates are being issued for it. This also means no patches for bugs and security 'holes', which gives open season for virus and malware distributors. I would give serious consideration to upgrading your OS, if possible, on your PC. Microsoft would recommend Windows 8.1 (naturally), I would suggest Windows 7 would be a better bet.

Whilst I really do appreciate any assistance/advice I can get, suggesting that I change my whole operating system with something that I cannot afford to purchase, is unfortunately a no go! 

Please do not take my comments personally!

It would be wonderful to have all the patches, security updates and the like!

It is like with so many other things, my daughter has a 6 figure income, company car and many trimmings and then berates me for having a 12 year old car for which I have to pay a higher road tax, repair costs etc but I only have my pension!

Warmest regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: pete284 on July 21, 2014, 09:29:15 PM
Some users of Chrome found to beneficial to uninstall Chrome using Revo Uninstaller as this also removes Registry entries.

You may also wish to delete the default user profile for Chrome which on XP is at C:\Documents and Settings\(Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome

Hello, I followed your instructions to the letter but found absolutely no reference to "Google\Chrome"?

Possibly somewhere else?  Peter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations