Couplings Farish and Lima

Started by Platothedog, April 03, 2014, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Platothedog

Just wondered if Graham Farish Loco couplings are compatible with Lima Coach couplings as I've purchased a couple of Lima coaches from ebay.

Agrippa

I checked an old Lima full brake with a newish Farish Mk1 and they coupled together ok.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Hi Plato, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Lima will couple up to Farish locos with no real problems but please bear in mind Lima stuff is 1/160 gauge v Farish 1/148 gauge

Tdm

Quote from: newportnobby on April 03, 2014, 04:42:36 PM
Hi Plato, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Lima will couple up to Farish locos with no real problems but please bear in mind Lima stuff is 1/160 gauge v Farish 1/148 gauge

That's interesting - I didn't know about the different scale sizes and it had me flumuxed when registering with the AnyRail Forum recently that one of the questions they ask to verify you as a person and not a "scammer" is "Is 1/160 gauge HO or N gauge"!!!!
By the way now that family have gone home will PM you their address & telephone no. as I gave them a copy of my Sony Camcorder software disk for you to collect.

Platothedog

I am new to n gauge so i am happy that the coaches will couple.  A bit worried about the scale of the lima n gauge but as long as they  don't look ridiculous i can live with it for the short term while i save for farish coaches. It will give my class 25/3 something to pull.

oreamnos

Lima coaching stock is supposed to be 1:160 yes, but take note that if you actually take a Peco British N scale rule to the Lima Siphon G and to the Lima CCT, you'll learn that they actually are very close to 1:148.

I don't own any other Lima, so cannot comment on what else in the Lima range might be close to 1:148.  But you'll be fine with the CCT and Siphon G.  For all other stock, I'd strongly advise you save and buy Farish, Dapol, or even old Minitrix coaches.

As for the couplings on Lima stock, as has been said, they are fully compatable with the Rapido couplers (that's the name of that style of coupler) that come standard on Farish, Dapol, and Peco locos and stock.

Matt

Newportnobby

You're quite correct about the Lima Siphons, Matt.
In selling a few to Jerry Howlett in Italy we concluded the Siphons were almost 'in gauge' as opposed to their passenger coaching stock :confused1:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oreamnos on April 03, 2014, 07:02:41 PM
Lima coaching stock is supposed to be 1:160 yes

British Lima is 1:148, or the better bits are. The early stuff is all over the place with some wagons actually more correct if placed on a TT scale chassis.

Continental Lima is 1:160 (again the usual Lima comments of "ish".. apply)

There were a few good items towards the end but not many, and most have been re-issued in some form by others or are due to be.

Good rolling stock to let small children destroy as its basically worthless 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Platothedog

[smg id=11440 type=full align=center caption="Lima Coaches"]

Here's an image of the coaches that I have bought.

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Platothedog! Welcome to the forum!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platothedog

What's your opinion on the coaches see image.

Agrippa

A quick check with the ruler shows the Lima Mk1 coaches to be 10mm shorter than the GF ones, ie 5 feet.
If you just want something for your loco to haul and they're all Lima they would suffice until your layout
advances.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

To be brutally honest, that's all they are good for.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platothedog

They will do. Have ordered  a couple of farish coaches from ehattons  for £9 and £11 respectively. They usually have good bargains.

Platothedog

Apart from the size differences what is the build quality like of the lima coaches as in the image.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations