Numbering dilemma

Started by Papyrus, April 01, 2014, 07:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I'm making very slow progress on my NGS kit 7 LMS brake vans (see my thread under Kit-built Rolling Stock http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19301.0), but now work has ground to a complete halt because I have hit a dilemma and I am looking to the forum to tell me how to proceed.

I'm at the stage of wanting to add numbers to the vans and I bought the appropriate Modelmaster decal set from the NGS. Having put my best glasses on and looked through a powerful magnifying glass it is clear that the numbers supplied are for the 16ft model. There are no numbers suitable for the 12ft van. So, what do I do, chaps? Do I put transfers on anyway, even though they are wrong, and hope nobody notices, or do I leave them off altogether? Or am I getting sad in my old age and in danger of turning into a rivet-counter?

All opinions gratefully received (including telling me to get a life...)

Chris

EtchedPixels

Well you can sit and carefully cut them up to make correct numbers. Another option is to order a set of numbers you want ready made up from Precision Decals.

Or you could put wrong numbers on. Nobody will be able to read them anyway ;-)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

alibuchan

I would just put the 16ft numbers on. On one of our rakes of coaches, the numbers has been painted on the coaches by hand. They are just small black blobs of paint as you can't read them from any normal distance.

In my opinion, It's only really important if you can clearly see the number like on a loco.

Alistair

Papyrus

Cracked it! :)

With a very small amount of alteration I can convert it into an LNER van which I do have numbers for. And it's more appropriate for my planned layout.

I think that warrants a cup of coffee and a choccy biccy...

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations