ID needed +

Started by petercharlesfagg, April 01, 2014, 09:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jivebunny

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 01, 2014, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: jivebunny on April 01, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
I was going on what the picture showed, i.e. a Mk3 trailer with no buffers  :D

Yeah thats an incomplete coach not an HST trailer - the footsteps are missing too

The picture shows a Western-region HST TS  :hmmm:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: jivebunny on April 01, 2014, 09:43:18 PM

Which picture - the top picture of the model is of most of a Poole Farish TS but with the step/buffer mouldings missing

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

jivebunny

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 01, 2014, 09:44:48 PM
Quote from: jivebunny on April 01, 2014, 09:43:18 PM

Which picture - the top picture of the model is of most of a Poole Farish TS but with the step/buffer mouldings missing

This is getting silly. The top picture shows a Poole Farish model of W 42023.

EtchedPixels

It shows *part* of a Poole W42023.. the steps and buffer moulding is missing.

As I said earlier the Farish mouldings are basically generic. They had buffers and HST markings/numberings in most cases.

You then said it had no buffers - but thats because its an incomplete model not because it didn't ship with them

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

BernardTPM

It's also one of the pre-1989 models with the smaller profile body and separate window strips. The buffers used to be attached to the lower raised part of the plastic tray (below the coach and not visible through the box window) with a piece of double-sided tape. Chances are it's never had them fitted (and that they were thrown away with the box).

jivebunny

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 01, 2014, 10:16:41 PM
It shows *part* of a Poole W42023.. the steps and buffer moulding is missing.

As I said earlier the Farish mouldings are basically generic. They had buffers and HST markings/numberings in most cases.

You then said it had no buffers - but thats because its an incomplete model not because it didn't ship with them

What I'm saying is that what the OP is showing us - a Mk3 with no buffers numbered W 42023 - is a Western-region HST trailer, and that the answer to the OPs question is that it would be seen in a HST formation and not behind a Class 86.

I can't imagine why Farish would have provided buffer-fitted Mk3s with the Poole HST packs, but in any case that doesn't answer the OPs question regarding what sort of formation a bufferless Mk3 would be seen in...

ozzie Bill.

come on guys, please. Peter asked about what they are, he has had several great answers. Please, no more grumpies. This is such a great forum, let's keep it happy. Thanks, Bill.

BernardTPM

Quote from: jivebunny on April 01, 2014, 11:37:28 PMI can't imagine why Farish would have provided buffer-fitted Mk3s with the Poole HST packs, but in any case that doesn't answer the OPs question regarding what sort of formation a bufferless Mk3 would be seen in...
The original Farish HST sets included one Trailer First. I can't remember whether the buffers were included in the same way as in the individual coach packs  i.e. taped to the vac formed plastic tray (last year I would have been able to check, but all is lost now). You could buy the other TF, plus TSs and a TRUB separately. The TRUB was released a little while later (within a year, may have been just 6 months or so). There was never a TGS in the original series coaches, though the revised clear body shell version range did (and still does).
Bufferless coaches are for the HST of course. The problem with the old Farish model, apart from being too small in profile, was that the steps that should have been under the doors were on the same moulding as the buffers. Of course, with a sharp knife it was not too difficult to slice the buffers off then clip the step mouldings in place. Most people just didn't bother to fit them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations