ID needed +

Started by petercharlesfagg, April 01, 2014, 09:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

A relative who shall remain nameles because they didn't ask, has given me (3) identical of these modern carriages.  (In a pawn shop window, no boxes)

I realise that they are Inter City but I have no idea what locomotive would be used as motive power or what the original year, livery etc.

Underneath they are stamped Grafar Britain, so I think it is safe to assume that they are not of Chinese origin!  :smiley-laughing:

I have made the suggestion (to my relative)  that it would be a VERY good idea to establish if I actually would like such rolling stock, it is not what I would choose!  I will have to keep them because he is visiting again in 2 months and would like to see them running!

TIA Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Farish Mk 3 stock, for HST sets in the late 70s/early 80s.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on April 01, 2014, 09:28:22 AM
Farish Mk 3 stock, for HST sets in the late 70s/early 80s.

Is that the loco with the flattened front painted Yellow on the nose?

Regards, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

petercharlesfagg

Hello again, is this the motive power that would be needed to be correct?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAHAM-FARISH-N-GAUGE-PAIR-OF-INTERCITY-125-POWER-CAR-/131105247954

Regards, Peter.

port perran

I think your description is pretty good Peter. Class 43.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Oldun

Don't know if its any help but:

Prototype class 252, Western region class 253 and Eastern Region/Scottish Region class 254.

Latest is class 43.

[smg id=11356]

[smg id=11357]

[smg id=11358]

[smg id=11359]
class 43

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Karhedron

Mk3 coaches like that are most associated with the HST (or 125 if you prefer). If you want to make one, remember you will need a power car at each end (or a power car and a dummy in the case of Farish). These sets ran on the main lines out of Paddington, Kings Cross and St Pancras.

However, they were used on plenty of other services too. I am not sure if those coaches are branded for the HST or not but if you are will to go for "pretty close", then there are some other services you could run.

West Coast electrics out of Euston being hauled by something like a blue class 86 (Dapol) or 87 (Farish). You might want to add a Mk1 BG for guard accomodation and a restaurant car for catering.

In 2008, a very similar set ran out of Kings cross to cover stock shortages.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9003948@N05/3821693066/

You could also put a set behind a blue class 47 to represent the Glasgow to Edinburgh services although technically you would need a converted Mk2d BDSO at the other end (which would need to be kit-built).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dr Al

Mk3s were also loco hauled, so class 47, class 86, class 87 would also sit fine with these (technically the loco hauled versions should have buffers, but the Farish model has holes in the floor for buffer mouldings to be attached - BR Lines can probably supply if you decide you want them).

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

PLD

Quote from: Oldun on April 01, 2014, 10:21:06 AM
Don't know if its any help but:

Prototype class 252, Western region class 253 and Eastern Region/Scottish Region class 254.

Latest is class 43.

Roger
Just to avoid any confusion from misinterpretation of Rogers post,

253xxx and 254xxx numbers are 'set numbers' identifying the train as a whole (in the DEMU number series) If I recall correctly, 253 is two power cars+7 intermediate coaches (trailers), 254 is 2 PC+8 trailers.
43xxx numbers are the identities of individual power cars (as locomotives).

They weren't renumbered - both numbers have always been valid, just that at different times they have varied which number was considered more important and so displayed on the nose.

PLD

Quote from: Karhedron on April 01, 2014, 01:04:08 PM

That set was running for Hull Trains, replacing the 'Pioneer' unit that was dropped off the jacks during routine maintenance. Had one run on it from Doncaster (it couldn't get to Hull of course due to a lack of a long enough extension lead!) Most impressive - very smooth and swift ride...

Karhedron

I don't think the Mk3 has ever been bettered in terms of ride quality. I think it is probably the most comfortable stock still in service by a good margin. I am sure the manufacturers will breathe a sigh of releif when they are phased out by IEP and people not longer have a gold-standard to compare new stock to.  :(
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

jivebunny

Quote from: PLD on April 01, 2014, 01:18:22 PM
Quote from: Karhedron on April 01, 2014, 01:04:08 PM

That set was running for Hull Trains, replacing the 'Pioneer' unit that was dropped off the jacks during routine maintenance. Had one run on it from Doncaster (it couldn't get to Hull of course due to a lack of a long enough extension lead!) Most impressive - very smooth and swift ride...

I think we may be sending the OP off in the wrong direction here... The coaches he's acquired are HST trailers rather than loco-hauled stock.

JB

EtchedPixels

The Farish ones are kind of generic. They have buffers and are lettered for an HST. So you can turn them into either.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

jivebunny

I was going on what the picture showed, i.e. a Mk3 trailer with no buffers  :D

EtchedPixels

Quote from: jivebunny on April 01, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
I was going on what the picture showed, i.e. a Mk3 trailer with no buffers  :D

Yeah thats an incomplete coach not an HST trailer - the footsteps are missing too
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations