respirator mask

Started by bluedepot, March 28, 2014, 05:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hey,

can anyone suggest a mask I can wear whilst using an airbrush? 

I'm not planning to use it loads and I will open a window... but still, I think a mask may be advisable...???

cheers,

tim

Rob H

Contact Newport Nobby, he's recently been seen in a mask !!

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Agrippa

Try Machine Mart, they have a lot of safety gear.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

petercharlesfagg

About a year ago I bought a pack of (10) on Ebay complete with the anti spectacles fogging vent (If you wear spectacles they are fantastic) for £12.50 inc. P&P.

I will try a search through my old purchases for my original buy?

If not they are sold through craft outlets such as "Craft Supplies", "Turners Retreat", "Axminster" (Thought they tend to be a might expensive), or "Turners Cabin" etc. etc.

I use one of those head visors with a pump for fresh air but they are nearly £200, but then I am running a woodturning business!!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Paul B

LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Mr.Grumpy

Quote from: Pengi on March 28, 2014, 08:44:57 PM
I am using not using solvent based paints so I use a Respro Sportsta - I saw it recommended on an air-brushing site and I got mine from Amazon much cheaper :thumbsup:

If I was using solvent paints such as Tamiya, I would use a different type of respirator.

Now have you mentally tagged as "n-gauge gangster"
N Gauge Dystopian Future: Planning | Construction

Mr Sprue

Quote from: bluedepot on March 28, 2014, 05:27:36 PM
hey,

can anyone suggest a mask I can wear whilst using an airbrush? 

I'm not planning to use it loads and I will open a window... but still, I think a mask may be advisable...???

cheers,

tim

As someone who worked in the refinishing industry, the advice I would give is first read the COSHH label on the tin ( if there is one!) Secondly if your going to spray something the size of matchbox then don't lose any sleep over it. That is of course you do not suffer from any respiratory problem, where as a charcoal mask should provide adequate protection should you need it.

Agrippa

At the risk of going off- topic and appearing daft , what is the refinishing industry ?
Is it coffin polishing?

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Agrippa on March 28, 2014, 10:02:51 PM
At the risk of going off- topic and appearing daft , what is the refinishing industry ?
Is it coffin polishing?

Vehicle paint spraying. ;)

Agrippa

Like respraying vehicles in new colour scheme or spraying new ones in a factory?

alibuchan

It would be for re sprays and touch up work as most new cars are now painted in ventilated booths by robots.

The first time I did any spraying I was sneezing DRS blue for days afterwards. I just use the cheep face masks as I spray in the shed with my extractor spray booth on and the door open.

Alistair

Steven B

I use a 3M 4251 which workd great and doesn't result in my glasses misting up. £20 is a small price to pay for not damaging your lungs.

If you can smell the paint whilst your spraying then your mask isn't doing it's job.

Happy modelling.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Paul B

I have George Dent's book 'Airbrushing for Railway Modellers' and, as he says, any paint, no matter how non-toxic, is not good if it dries on the inside of your lungs...  :sick2:

I also found this site https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home , which is full of good information - but this section makes for interesting reading; read the first paragraph... https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/safety
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Mr Sprue

I think things need to be clarified a little here on my original comment. When I mentioned spraying something the size of a matchbox, this was intended to be a one off, or something not done on a frequent basis!

However if you are spraying paint on a regular basis in an enclosed area then addiquate extraction is needed, along with the use of a mask such as the likes of a Gerson 9000E which in europe (Not UK) can be used with 2K paints. If spraying larger area's then an air fed must be used.

Also worth mentioning its not just your lungs that need to be protected either, your skin also needs to be covered especially from paints containing high proportions of isocyanates, as this also can absorb toxins.  Another product used in this hobby which instanly comes to mind that can also cause respiratory problems is polyurethane resin.  Info Here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1849909/

Last of all take precaution that if your using oil based paint take suitable measures, ensure your spraying or extraction isn't pointing near a neighbours car or washing line. Oil based/Synthetic over spray can travel a distance uncured before drying on the surface it settles on, even the fine spray from an airbrush!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations